Star Wars Prequel Music Resource (part 2)

John Crichton

I want to kill George Lucas right now.

Pick a number.

If Lucas lost control over Star Wars, complete prequels could be released in an easier way.

I think George Lucas and ironically John Williams are the worst enemies of complete, chronological scores in the world today.

No other composer in his right mind would leave scores like the prequels unreleased for that long. Or would actually remove music from the complete release of one of his most famous scores.

• 2 weeks later...

The BF2 version of "Zam in Pursuit" does not include the electric guitar portion (i love that by the way). Was it recorded as an insert?

I'm not sure. In some files you can hear the remnants of the guitar suggesting it was dropped out of the mix but recorded with the orchestra.

BF2's Zam In Pursuit file is, however, cut down a bit, omitting a bit of the part where the guitar would have played anyway.

I'm not sure. In some files you can hear the remnants of the guitar suggesting it was dropped out of the mix but recorded with the orchestra.

BF2's Zam In Pursuit file is, however, cut down a bit, omitting a bit of the part where the guitar would have played anyway.

It's not cut down. The guitar was recorded separately just like the percussion. For the game file they just decided to use the take that didn't have the guitar. Also my AOTC editing guide is right for that cue...well with that particular take.

Now grant "Zam Chase" the guitar wasn't fully eliminated in the film / game mix....it's still there but it was toned down A LOT almost to the point of being unable to hear it. Personally I prefer "Zam Chase" with the film mix and "Zam In Pursuit" with OUT the electric guitar. I hated hearing that guitar since day one.

I think it's great, fits perfectly with the film. Too bad it was dropped.

Well i meant the second guitar bit. In "Zam in Pursuit", not "Zam Chase".

The BF2 version skips that part (all other instruments too).

It's not cut down. The guitar was recorded separately just like the percussion. For the game file they just decided to use the take that didn't have the guitar. Also my AOTC editing guide is right for that cue...well with that particular take.

There's a section in the file that would have had the guitar, but that bit is cut down (it would coincide with the album from 5:12). Whether it's just a game edit or not, I don't know.

I really respect all of your hard work ...

But meticulously trying to piece together "Zam The Assassin" is, for me, like desperately trying to stitch together a squirrel that has been run over by a car.

It may look like a squirrel, but it's still dead and disgusting to look at.

For wildlife conservation, it is more important to analyse all the dead animals found and find the cause of death than curing and releasing to the wild again an injured individual.

This way, you can analyse the data and find dark spots in fences, roads, electric cables, hunting grounds etc. You can save more animals fixxing these.

Vet tip of the day :P

That's as may be, but WTF does that have to do with the Star Wars Prequel music?

it has to do with gkgyver post.

I see. I kinda got lost amongst all the Kinect talk here, I hadn't really been bothering to check for other replies much.

• 4 weeks later...

I've not been paying proper attention to the new music that has been uncovered from The Old Republic.

Out of interest, which parts of The Phantom Menace have been uncovered that we didn't have before?

Also, my old personal edit of that score is based on GoodMusician's original version and has CD1 ending with the really cool alternate of "Leaving For Coruscant".

However, the fade-out at end of that track was a bit cut short. Has a better version of that ever surfaced or been faked?

I've not been paying proper attention to the new music that has been uncovered from The Old Republic.

Out of interest, which parts of The Phantom Menace have been uncovered that we didn't have before?

Also, my old personal edit of that score is based on GoodMusician's original version and has CD1 ending with the really cool alternate of "Leaving For Coruscant".

However, the fade-out at end of that track was a bit cut short. Has a better version of that ever surfaced or been faked?

Regarding The Phantom Menace here's what was new from The Old Republic that we didn't have before. I'm basing off the time from my "Version 1" edit for the score.

Theed Palace Arrival

The unused piece from 1:17-1:28ish had a better fade out than compared to what was with the previous games. It made the transition into the other part A LOT easier and better.

Arrival At Tatooine

We never had the proper full clean ending for this cue, which The Old Republic finally had.

I'm A Pilot You Know

The Old Republic finally had the clean opening for this cue. Before the "Star Wars Mashup" from Hyperspace.com had this but it was in mono. The ending also was in much better quality and had a more cleaner ending too.

Stealing Food

The Old Republic finally had the clean opening for this cue.

Introducing Threepio

TOR finally had the clean opening for this as well. Before I had to fake it from the "Ultimate Edition".

Roll Of The Die

This cue is the one before "The Flag Parade". We never had a clean ending for this but TOR featured most of the ending cleanly. I had to do a slight reverb to it so it would fade out better.

The Race Begins

We never had the full proper opening for this but TOR finally had it.

Anakin Defeats Sebulba

TOR had the proper clean opening for this ... I mean the one for the proper percussion that was removed for the "Ultimate Edition".

Anakin's Test

TOR had the proper clean opening for this. The alternate segment that was featured in the Obi-Wan game, TOR had this in a better spot so you could make it easier to replace and we know where to put it now.

With Boss Nass

TOR had the clean opening for this which was definitely a separate cue

Forest Mist

TOR had a clean ending for this too. All though a slight reverb was needed for it.

The Big Army

TOR finally had a clean opening for this

Laser Fight March

TOR had the clean opening for this cue.

Take To Your Ships

TOR had a couple of excerpts from different takes that weren't with anything prior.

Up The Wire

TOR had this piece nearly in full that was MUCH better quality than before. There is one segment you'll need from either Battlefront 2 or TPM game to properly stitch the pieces together.

Death Of Darth Maul

TOR had a bit of a different take for this cue than compared to what's with the "Ultimate Edition". This take I like a lot more.

TOR also had A LOT more clean material for Attack Of The Clones and Revenge Of The Sith.

For Attack Of The Clones, with a combination of the material from TOR and the previous games we have nearly the whole score clean, despite a lot of the cues being their film version edits which were easy to fix. However, the unused portions for AOTC have yet to surface. I'm not sure if we'll ever get those as it seems the music editors for the game are using film stems from this score instead of the sessions.

For Revenge Of The Sith as I said TOR had A LOT more clean material too. We're missing just over 7 minutes to make this score 100% and clean. Hopefully future Star Wars games will have the missing 7 minutes we need.

Regarding the early take for the end of "The Chosen One", I know I came across it from either TOR or one of the earlier games. I think it might have been from TOR but for the life of me I can't remember which file it was.

Regarding the early take for the end of "The Chosen One", I know I came across it from either TOR or one of the earlier games. I think it might have been from TOR but for the life of me I can't remember which file it was.

File CD9B7ECC_BE179DE0AFD950ED

Regarding The Phantom Menace here's what was new from The Old Republic that we didn't have before. I'm basing off the time from my "Version 1" edit for the score.

Theed Palace Arrival

The unused piece from 1:17-1:28ish had a better fade out than compared to what was with the previous games. It made the transition into the other part A LOT easier and better.

Arrival At Tatooine

We never had the proper full clean ending for this cue, which The Old Republic finally had.

I'm A Pilot You Know

The Old Republic finally had the clean opening for this cue. Before the "Star Wars Mashup" from Hyperspace.com had this but it was in mono. The ending also was in much better quality and had a more cleaner ending too.

Stealing Food

The Old Republic finally had the clean opening for this cue.

Introducing Threepio

TOR finally had the clean opening for this as well. Before I had to fake it from the "Ultimate Edition".

Roll Of The Die

This cue is the one before "The Flag Parade". We never had a clean ending for this but TOR featured most of the ending cleanly. I had to do a slight reverb to it so it would fade out better.

The Race Begins

We never had the full proper opening for this but TOR finally had it.

Anakin Defeats Sebulba

TOR had the proper clean opening for this ... I mean the one for the proper percussion that was removed for the "Ultimate Edition".

Anakin's Test

TOR had the proper clean opening for this. The alternate segment that was featured in the Obi-Wan game, TOR had this in a better spot so you could make it easier to replace and we know where to put it now.

With Boss Nass

TOR had the clean opening for this which was definitely a separate cue

Forest Mist

TOR had a clean ending for this too. All though a slight reverb was needed for it.

The Big Army

TOR finally had a clean opening for this

Laser Fight March

TOR had the clean opening for this cue.

Take To Your Ships

TOR had a couple of excerpts from different takes that weren't with anything prior.

Up The Wire

TOR had this piece nearly in full that was MUCH better quality than before. There is one segment you'll need from either Battlefront 2 or TPM game to properly stitch the pieces together.

Death Of Darth Maul

TOR had a bit of a different take for this cue than compared to what's with the "Ultimate Edition". This take I like a lot more.

TOR also had A LOT more clean material for Attack Of The Clones and Revenge Of The Sith.

For Attack Of The Clones, with a combination of the material from TOR and the previous games we have nearly the whole score clean, despite a lot of the cues being their film version edits which were easy to fix. However, the unused portions for AOTC have yet to surface. I'm not sure if we'll ever get those as it seems the music editors for the game are using film stems from this score instead of the sessions.

For Revenge Of The Sith as I said TOR had A LOT more clean material too. We're missing just over 7 minutes to make this score 100% and clean. Hopefully future Star Wars games will have the missing 7 minutes we need.

Thank you for outlining this, Trent. This was a big help for me :)

That's a lot more of an expansive answer than I expected. Indeed thanks a lot, Trent!

Thanks. Unfortunately, that seems to be something different than what I am after. I mean the ending of this track:

http://www.pyratesahoy.com/potc/Pieter%20Pirate%20Music/temp/Leaving%20For%20Coruscant.mp3

That's a lot more of an expansive answer than I expected. Indeed thanks a lot, Trent!

Thanks. Unfortunately, that seems to be something different than what I am after. I mean the ending of this track:

http://www.pyratesahoy.com/potc/Pieter%20Pirate%20Music/temp/Leaving%20For%20Coruscant.mp3

I was responding to Trent, who didn't know where the Chosen One's ending was. However in your case, the UE has that ending clean anyways, but TOR has it in file F6C8A61E_6292F618F4A82BCA

That sounds like something different than I mean. The track I posted ends differently than usual.

Or is that ending not supposed to go there at all? That would make sense as in "Coruscant Arrival" from Trent's edit,

the track continues as if there's not supposed to be an ending in-between at all.

That sounds like something different than I mean. The track I posted ends differently than usual.

Or is that ending not supposed to go there at all? That would make sense as in "Coruscant Arrival" from Trent's edit,

the track continues as if there's not supposed to be an ending in-between at all.

Oh, yes, isn't this from GoodMusician's old edit? It's wrong. That bit is actually the true middle bit of Anakin's Test.

Indeed it is from GoodMusician's old edit. And that does explain a lot. Thanks for clarifying!

Found the music I meant in Trent's edit under "Anakin's Test (Alternate Excerpt)".

I checked out:

http://repertoire.bmi.com/

While it only lists cue titles which are copyrighted (does not seen to list most generic titles), it does give us a better idea of what the Star Wars Episode 1 cue list looks like (at least the number of cues for most of it, and does give some confirmation to some cue titles)

Also, as least for Episode II, it does give some of the official track names to some of the TRACKED music cues. Showing that these were considered to be official tracks and were, at some point, given official titles.

It also gives the official cue name for Episode III 6M5 as "Duel of Yoda and Sidious"

I will upload my results (For episode 1, I only included cue titles that were verifiable by BMI -- while on Ep2 & Ep3 I only included the BMI number if those titles were listed on there).

http://www.thezorkli...1%20(incomplete.txt)

http://www.thezorkli...Episode%202.txt

http://www.thezorkli...Episode%203.txt

Exacting Revenge was the cue used when Anakin slaughtered the Tusken Camp, it does appear in both the film and the album. Its slate number is 4M7. It was listed in the spreadhseet of AOTC cues.

Arrival at Tatooine and the Fl... - That is album only, I believe. The full title is "Arrival At Tatooine And The Flag Parade"

Thanks for the note on 5M7. For some reason I had accidentally removed it from my cue list (or never added it).

I think that list for the Episode 1 is mostly correct though. But now that you mention that, I am wondering if any of the cue titles had been duplicated on the OST, if they simply extended them for that BMI list, not realizing that they were different tracks or something. As in, "The Arrival at Tatooine" was the original cue list, but when the OST came out, instead of creating a new entry, they simply tagged on "The Arrival at Tatooine and the Flag Parade".

Otherwise, that list is definitely not from either the Ultimate Edition or the original OST, and they all come in movie order.

Andy

Exacting Revenge was the cue used when Anakin slaughtered the Tusken Camp, it does appear in both the film and the album. Its slate number is 4M7. It was listed in the spreadhseet of AOTC cues.

Arrival at Tatooine and the Fl... - That is album only, I believe. The full title is "Arrival At Tatooine And The Flag Parade"

A couple of the names on that list are album names, although I think you're right on that point that they might not have known the difference. It's a shame that more hasn't become available, but we do know that "The Duel Continues" is 6M7P2, as Trent got that info from Jesse Harlin, who has access to the sessions.

Also, I'm fairly sure the "Duel Begins" and "Duel Continues" on that list refer to the UE tracks (and their placement would suggest so).

Most of the BMI titles have been there since 2000 (Are you a Jedi? and Through the Slave Quarters weren't there before). They're not the only ones.

So "Are You A Jedi?" would probably be the cue after "Running Out Of Time"?

"Through The Slave Quarters" would probably be the cue after "Stealing Food"?

Star Wars Main Title

The Arrival

Gas Leak

Droid Fight

Queen Amidala

The Droid Invasion

Introducing Jar Jar

Bubble World

Gone Fishin'

Darth Sidious

Tentacles

Theed Palace Arrival

You're Under Arrest

Escape From Naboo

Intro Darth Maul

Arrival At Tatooine

I'm A Pilot You Know

Stealing Food

Through The Slave Quarters (one I previously had called Introducing Threepio)

Running Out Of Time

Are You A Jedi? (one I had called Dinner Talk)

Watto's Deal

Kids At Play

It's Working

The Sith Spacecraft

Roll Of The Die (not sure if this is its actual name or not)

The Flag Parade

Jabba Introduction / Start Your Engines

The Race Begins

The Podrace (not sure what the real name is)

Anakin Defeats Sebulba

Anakin's Great Victory

Anakin Is Free

Darth and Qui-Gon

Coruscant Arrival

The Queen and Palpatine

High Council Meeting

The Senate

Anakin's Test

The Chosen One

Moving Forward (not sure if this is the true name)

Back To Naboo (not sure if this is the true name)

The Gungans

With Boss Nass

Promoting Jar Jar

War Plans

Forest Mist

Drums Insert

The Armies Face Off

The Battle Part 2 C

Laser Fight March

Take To Your Ships

The Big Army

The Droid Battle

Up The Wire

The Great Duel (Part 1)

The Great Duel (Part 2) / Crash Landing

Qui-Gon's Noble End

Battleship Destroyed

Death Of Maul

A Jedi He Will Be (not sure what the real name is)

Qui-Gon's Funeral

Augie's Great Municipal Band

End Credits

End Credits Part II (Unused)

The track "Are You A Jedi?" makes sense, because during the dinner scene Anakin asks Qui-Gon if he was a Jedi. "Through The Slave Quarters" is also another one that makes sense in terms of where it would go. Since it's where it shows Anakin leading Jar Jar, Padmé and Qui-Gon to his home.

So "Are You A Jedi?" would probably be the cue after "Running Out Of Time"?

"Through The Slave Quarters" would probably be the cue after "Stealing Food"?

Yup!

Looking at the list above, Moving Forward should be one cue later - it's the first part of Trip to the Naboo Temple on the original album.

Also, I'm fairly sure the "Duel Begins" and "Duel Continues" on that list refer to the UE tracks (and their placement would suggest so).

Probably based on cue lists representing what actually ended up in the film rather than what was originally written for it. The BMI list pre-dates the UE.

Probably based on cue lists representing what actually ended up in the film rather than what was originally written for it. The BMI list pre-dates the UE.

That would probably be the case anyway, though, as the names would be copyrighted prior to any release.

new game. http://www.lucasarts.com/games/1313/

I feel that it will have an original score (if the lastest games are taken into consideration and that this game wont be as vast and long as TOR.) (hmm the main site -the link i posted- seems to have original orchestral music)

But who knows, if they use Williams material, maybe the underground setting may uncover some prequel unreleased underscore...

• 4 weeks later...

Well I'm doing the maddening thing again. Once more I'm going through ALL the TOR files, however, this time it's going to be different. I've created folders for Episode I-III, then Episode IV-VI since I remember hearing OT music in the rips. I also created a folder specifically for TOR. I'm opening up each file individually and what I pick out from any series will be placed in the proper folder. Even stuff we all ready have for the Prequels will go into the right folder.

This is how I should have done it in the first place.

I had to rely on you for the files that had Prequel music when the game came out. I listened to about 1/3 of them myself before I gave up

BUT I DID make individual RotS and AotC folders with the relevant files as I did my edits.

I did not bother with the OT, TPM and the original Old Republic music though

I had to rely on you for the files that had Prequel music when the game came out. I listened to about 1/3 of them myself before I gave up

BUT I DID make individual RotS and AotC folders with the relevant files as I did my edits.

I did not bother with the OT, TPM and the original Old Republic music though

There was some essential stuff that TOR had for TPM. Clean openings for some cues IE: "I'm A Pilot You Know" as well as other cues. Even clean endings for cues if you did your edit in session style format. There was even clean intros and endings in this rip that was better quality than before.

I'm still working through the files. I plan on making new Google spreadsheet and each tab will have TPM, AOTC and ROTS.

The opening for "I'm A Pilot You Know" was only available in mono through the "Mash Up" deal from Star Wars.com a while back.

It's not like I edit the prequels myself either. I just listen to other people's edits.

yeah I know, but for TPM I rely on other people's edits

Basically not making an edit of your own. :rolleyes:

well just TPM. At least I made my own edits of RotS and AotC . Attempting any one of these scores is a big undertaking

Now if you mooch all 3...