Star Wars Prequel Music Resource (part 2)

John Crichton

I still haven't even attempted TPM, aside from a few cues. If sheet music ever becomes available, I'll be all over that.

I'm sure we've pretty much figured the whole thing out in order. The games featured a lot if not most of the cues as their intended versions. Grant there are two small cues we're not sure where they belong but other than that I'm sure everything else is in the right order.

Yeah, I just don't even want to think about it till I know with 100% certainty what goes where. The edits y'all have done are almost certainly correct, but I'm just gonna wait.

I can;t read sheet music, so I edit from what I hear in the film or other people's mockups

I worked a bit on expanded TPM when the first videogame files came out (before the UE) but the task is much more daunting than AotC and RotS because of all the microedits in the UE

I agree that it was a pain to restore a lot of the micro-edits from the U.E. material but the looped material was worse. That's why I generally tried to stick to game material since they didn't have the micro-edits or looped material.

I do wonder if anyone has synced up the unused beginning portion of "Palpatine Instructs Anakin" to the film and whether or not if it would flow directly after "I Am The Senate".

I had a dream last night that "Get 'Em R-2!" belonged to a completely different part of the film than we'd originally thought. I synced it up, and everything worked perfectly. Good lord.

Which part are you thinking of?

Are you asking me or Henry?

I had a dream last night that "Get 'Em R-2!" belonged to a completely different part of the film than we'd originally thought. I synced it up, and everything worked perfectly. Good lord.

I figured the full unedited cue of "Get' Em, R2!" would fully sync up to the film perfectly.

No, I mean, I synced it up in my dream. To a part of the film that doesn't actually exist.

You're weird sometimes, lol.

Then again we all are weird.

I will say that I had a dream where I walked into this CD store and they had a huge selection devoted to film scores. What was different compared to any other was that these scores were their complete form and all ready released that way, no cut down OST's. Of course they were legit releases but still... I thought that was a cool dream.

Best soundtrack/ star wars related dream I have ever had was when I dreamed that I discovered that Williams actually did write music for the entire Geonosis Battle sequence in AOTC, and that it was mind-blowingly awesome. LOL. IF ONLY....

Well back to my original question. Has anyone synced up whether or not the unused beginning of "Palpatine Instructs Anakin" would have flowed right at the end of "I Am The Senate", despite the fact that there was an early fade out for that?

Is that on the OST? My edit of the cue begins with the OST, then has a portion of TOR, and then goes back to the OST.

Is that on the OST? My edit of the cue begins with the OST, then has a portion of TOR, and then goes back to the OST.

Yes that was part of Track 8 on the OST. I also have that setup since it's that way in the film.

Well back to my original question. Has anyone synced up whether or not the unused beginning of "Palpatine Instructs Anakin" would have flowed right at the end of "I Am The Senate", despite the fact that there was an early fade out for that?

The sketches don't indicate an overlap...

The Sidious theme they track in is several seconds longer than the unused start of Palpatine Instructs Anakin, so it might have just played straight after rather than overlapping.

The sketches don't indicate an overlap...

Ah ok.

Since the Emperor's theme at the end of I am the Senate is not in the game files and I don't include DVD rips or mockups, I merged the 2 tracks since it make it sound better

The Emperor's theme didn't belong there anyway. It's tracked in from Birth Of The Twins. The 'second' section is simply a pitch-altered version of the theme, and the same goes with the Imperial March statement directly after that.

Ah I see, do we know how I am the Senate really ends as Williams originally wrote it? With the game files it ends with a fade out missing something (maybe it's just the last few notes missing)

Yes, we do: the Imperial march statement as Anakin kneels and says "Thank you, my master" is the correct ending (but they used the Palpatine's TV Set choral and cut the end note down). The Emperor's theme that went straight after that in the film (with the little bit of the Imperial March after the Emperor's Theme, before it goes into the middle of "Palpatine Instructs Anakin") is all tracked material.

but that real ending (vader's theme) is still unreleased right?

ok, I was confused because shookbaker made a mockup and replicated the fake choir "because it sounded cool". Why not just make a mock up of the intended version...

I see, so the Vader's theme had an intended choir, but some extra overlays were added from Palpatine's TV set in the film?

Something like that. For some reason, Lucas chose not to use the choir that actually went at the end of the cue, instead opting to use the Palpatine's TV Set choir there instead.

Something like that. For some reason, Lucas chose not to use the choir that actually went at the end of the cue, instead opting to use the Palpatine's TV Set choir there instead.

I never noticed that before until now. It's too bad they didn't go with the original choir instead.

I was listening to my edit for ROTS yesterday and it got me thinking about things. Now grant there wasn't that much new music for AOTC or ROTS in Battlefront 2 and couple of the older games. Then come The Old Republic, BAM! a lot more stuff we wanted / requested was in with that game.

Hell I myself and a few others wanted more music from AOTC, even at the time if it was some sort of "Ultimate Edition" style format. Despite a lot of the cues from AOTC having clean intros and endings the music itself is virtually an "Ultimate Edition" type set with loops, clunky edits and such.

It does make you wonder if someone from LucasArts editing department reads this board. When TFU 1 and 2 came out we got even more music for AOTC and ROTS that we wanted/requested.

I think that's been insinuated before, but it definitely seems so, especially given how much more we have thanks to TOR.

I wonder if there'll be anything in 1313...

1313?

It also makes you wonder with how much new music we've gotten for both scores (including some crucial material we needed for TPM) if we might not be seeing legit releases for the intended editions for all three scores any time soon.

Star Wars 1313, the next game by LucasArts. Might be a chance for some more Prequel music. I've seen a gameplay vid and it sounds like Griskey's doing the scoring, so maybe Jesse Harlin will be doing the music editing again.

It does make you wonder if someone from LucasArts editing department reads this board. When TFU 1 and 2 came out we got even more music for AOTC and ROTS that we wanted/requested.

I think TOR required so much music they didn't have time for anything else but throw in unedited sessions bits.

With previous games I think they just threw in random bits because the music was too hard to edit . Why go out of your way to make it so complicated(plus add a bunch of overlays) if your intent is to make the music available

Meh, I just think were getting the side effects that at some point they have to use all of the sessions. Williams wrote a finite amount of music and they need a lot of music for the games. Whenever there's going to be a specific Yoda cut scene we might get that Yoda Departure music .

If they REALLY wanted to leak it for fans to make score edits we'd have all of it by now. (But they obviously stopped caring that we made bootlegs)

I was listening to my edit for ROTS yesterday and it got me thinking about things. Now grant there wasn't that much new music for AOTC or ROTS in Battlefront 2 and couple of the older games. Then come The Old Republic, BAM! a lot more stuff we wanted / requested was in with that game.

Hell I myself and a few others wanted more music from AOTC, even at the time if it was some sort of "Ultimate Edition" style format. Despite a lot of the cues from AOTC having clean intros and endings the music itself is virtually an "Ultimate Edition" type set with loops, clunky edits and such.

They're lurking... Behind the corner...

Are we sure that the so-called "unused end credits" from TPM (which were a re-recording of the ANH end credits) were supposed to be the end credits of the film?

I'd guess not, since they're too short

In RotS during the scene when Anakin is over looking the lava on Mustafar after he has killed all the Separtists but before Padme arrives there is a certain few seconds of music that is different from what is written in Anakin's Dark Deeds (around 3:33), but the lead up to it is definitely exactly from Anakin's Dark Deeds. I am curious if I can find that version of it anywhere?

• 3 months later...

A few months without anything in this topic. Hopefully there's going to be tons more music in 1313 that we can use. I'm hoping for a few passages we don't yet have from ROTS, and perhaps a couple from AOTC like the missing bits of Dooku Versus Obi-Wan.

ARGH! Micro-edits on the UE! I only realised recently how many millisecond loops there are in certain tracks (IE D1 tracks 4 and 5) and it's a pain to edit them out. I can understand why others ignore the UE outright if the material's in the video games!

Are we sure that the so-called "unused end credits" from TPM (which were a re-recording of the ANH end credits) were supposed to be the end credits of the film?

I'd guess not, since they're too short

Actually, I had a thought about that. It's entirely possible this version could have been intended for the television broadcast versions of the film, as even the film-edit end credits suite doesn't fit (it stops after DOTF).

A few months without anything in this topic. Hopefully there's going to be tons more music in 1313 that we can use. I'm hoping for a few passages we don't yet have from ROTS, and perhaps a couple from AOTC like the missing bits of Dooku Versus Obi-Wan.

ARGH! Micro-edits on the UE! I only realized recently how many millisecond loops there are in certain tracks (IE D1 tracks 4 and 5) and it's a pain to edit them out. I can understand why others ignore the UE outright if the material's in the video games!

Regarding the game 1313, I too hope that we get some more of the missing bits for AOTC and ROTS. I'm not expecting any unused stuff for AOTC since it seems they used the film's music only stems, despite cues having clean intros and endings.

I had pointed out a while back in this thread about Track 4 from Disc 1 of the "Ultimate Edition" for TPM having loops. I hadn't noticed it before until I updated everything beginning of the year. It definitely was a major pain in the ass to edit properly.