Star Wars Prequel Music Resource (part 2)

John Crichton

It really was pretty preposterous. It wouldn't have been nearly so bad if they'd marketed it as what it actually was. It's the deception that turns the disappointment into anger.

Granted, I was younger, stupider, and less perceptive, so at first, I was just super excited about all the excellent music to which I now had access.

I think all of us were excited until we realised we were really descieved and douped.

Perhaps after all these years with the downfall of the TPM U.E. is the reason why Sony hasn't released the complete scores for AOTC and ROTS, bitterness and anger...

I agree we shouldn't have complained too much to Sony for the UE

We might have UE's of AotC and RotS otherwise . Not perfect but with the game files we'd have complete scores now and having the crucial bits were missing

JanBing, I do not know why you have an attitude. I sometimes refer to John Williams as the Maestro because he is a master of music, and I call him that out of respect.

He is the greatest composer alive, the most accomplished composer of the 20th / 21st century; I have respect for him not only as a master of music, but as a person.

He shows nothing but genuine humility, crediting his success, as well as the many awards and recognitions he has received, to all of the people he has worked with.

I admire him greatly for that, as you do not see that too often in this day and age.

John Williams is undoubtedly a Maestro, to some of us THE Maestro. :)

Thank you, Incanus.

By the way, for anyone who has gone on

Star Tours: The Adventure Continues,

I have a guide that identifies exactly what

cues score which sequences in the ride

(personally selected by John Williams himself).

Takeoff sequence:

1.) Encountering Darth Vader and the Stormtroopers - The Imperial March (Episode V),
Bail's Escape (Episode III), The Clash of Lightsabers (Episode V).

Escaping the TIE Fighters and making the jump to light speed - The Death Star (Episode IV).

2.) Encountering Stormtroopers near the Millennium Falcon - Imperial Attack (Episode IV).

Escaping and making the jump to light speed - TIE Fighter Attack (Episode IV).

First planet sequence:

1.) Hoth sequence - Attacking a Star Destroyer (Episode V).

2.) Tatooine sequence - Sail Barge Assault (Alternate Version) (Episode VI).

3.) Kashyyck sequence - The Forest Battle (Concert Suite) (Episode VI).

4.) Jakuu sequence - The Falcon (Episode VII)

Transmission sequence:

1.) Princess Leia - The Hologram (Episode IV).
Jump to light speed - Shootout In the Cell Block (Episode IV).

2.) Admiral Ackbar - Learn About the Force (Episode IV).

3.) Yoda - Yoda Into Exile (Episode III).

4.) BB-8 - unused cue associated with BB-8 (Episode VII)

Second planet sequence:

1.) Coruscant sequence - Get' Em R-2! (Episode III), Boys Into Battle (Episode III),
Chasm Crossfire (Episode IV), Shootout In the Cell Block (Episode IV).

2.) Naboo sequence - Detention Block Ambush (Episode IV),
Passage Through the Planet Core (Episode I), Crash Landing (Episode I), Sail Barge Assault (Episode VI).

3.) Death Star orbiting Geonosis sequence - The Asteroid Field (Episode V), The Death Star (Episode IV),

End Title (Episode VI), End Title (Episode V).

Exit music - End Title (Episode VI).

If anyone would like to add on this by identifying the cues

that play at the entrance outside as you wait in line, you are more than welcome.

If anyone would like to add on this by identifying the cues that play at the entrance outside as you wait in line, you are more than welcome.

I've actually been meaning to do this, at least for the Disneyland version. (I don't know if the same loop is used at other versions of the attraction.) I might get a chance in a few weeks or so.

By the way, for the podracing segment, I believe there's some music from ROTJ's alternate sail barge cue.

I made some corrections to the cues played during Star Tours: The Adventure Continues.

Please read the above post if you have not yet.

Giacchino did musical arrangements for the queue only - they did a series of travelogue-style videos in the Star Wars universe, to fit the theme of an interplanetary tour company, and Giacchino's arrangements were just for those videos. Giacchino had nothing to do with the ride film itself, which is all scored using edited versions of Williams' original recordings, and that's what JohnnyD is talking about.

In fact, John Williams expressed great interest in doing the music for the ride;

the Disney Imagineers were very enthusiastic about John Williams being involved in the project (for obvious reasons).

After evaluating the ride's sequences, he decided that a new musical score was not necessary.

Instead, John Williams suggested that the music should be the original score from the films,

along with pre-recorded passages from the scores that he and his music editor found.

So, John Williams hand selected the cues to be used for each sequence;

all of the cues score each sequence perfectly, too.

Oh, and this is the case for both the Disneyland and Disney World version.

Both are exactly the same attraction.

I made two more corrections to the Star Tours: The Adventure Continues / John Williams guide.

It is now officially complete and accurate.

I have....had an iPhone and posted on this forum just fine from it and never looked like your posts.... Hell even my Galaxy Note 2 doesn't do that... It's very hard to read your posts when they are like that...

BTW I do wonder.... despite a lot of the AOTC music that's shown up mostly from both The Force Unleashed games as well as The Old Republic....despite having quite a few of those cues having clean intros and endings, the music in between has been their film version edits. Yes, yes I know it's because they used the music only portion of the film stems.

However, I found one file from TOR (C8EDD841_2CE7587C4C5C8270) that while yes contains "Droid Fight" and the ending from "Droid Battle", it definitely is from the last Geonosis battle sequence, the one before "Padme Falls". So this got me wondering, IF THEY HAD actually done an TPM "Ultimate Edition" style set for AOTC, if they would have included ALL the tracked TPM music, even the horrible edits for the Battle Of Geonosis.

Anyways, speaking of this... since I'm still stuck in this rehab place and bored most of the time I'm going to try and replicate the tracked music for the Geonosis battle sequences. Although I don't think I'll get everything down EXACTLY like heard in the film, since there's so many mini-micro edits and loops it sounds jarring. I might make it a bit easier to listen to. Basically I'll be doing some artistic (creative) editing.

Yeah, Trent, it was not my phone that was the cause for the way my post looked. I just do not like texting. I had no option, though, as my computer was not in front of me at the time. I will be sure to make my future posts less hard to read.

• 1 month later...

Hey, Trent. I need your input on something: The Droid Battle.

The original sheet music is different from the cue that is on the soundtrack and in the film. Do you think the cue was revised, and the sheet music contains the original version?

I would PM you, but I cannot reach you for some reason.

PM me if you can. Thanks.

Dude, I already answered that question for you with proof from a two hour interview I did with Conrad Pope. The sheet music is the film version and original, the version on the soundtrack, according to Pope, is most likely an edit as he was almost positive there were no revisions, inserts or concert versions of that cue.

The sheet music is the film version and original, the version on the soundtrack, according to Pope, is most likely an edit as he was almost positive there were no revisions, inserts or concert versions of that cue.

The Droid Battle is included in the soundtrack, and it was used in the film as well. It is the same in the film as it is on the soundtrack.

I know, you answered my question. I just wanted to see if someone else had additional information.

The film is not a reliable source because the music was edited to hell. They used other concert suites in the film version, e.g. Duel of the fates was all that was used for the duel scenes, none of the original music written for those was kept in the movie.

You remakred that the sheet music is the film version and the original. In the case of what you just said, it can't be both. The film version is edited down further from what's in the album. It's also entirely possible that it's a stage change: Williams is known to have done that. Indeed, he did that with the end credits cue here, drastically, it would seem.

The video games have inexplicably left that same section out too, and it's not appeared in any of the tracking for Episodes II and III either.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - speculation on this stuff can be fun, but honestly, complete sheet music will leak eventually, whether it's next week or 5 years from now. All (or most) of our questions will be answered then. Those few pages of sheet music for "The Droid Battle" provide a tantalizing glimpse, but without seeing the entire cue, I don't think we can really draw any firm conclusions about what exactly happened.

You remakred that the sheet music is the film version and the original. In the case of what you just said, it can't be both. The film version is edited down further from what's in the album. It's also entirely possible that it's a stage change: Williams is known to have done that. Indeed, he did that with the end credits cue here, drastically, it would seem.

The video games have inexplicably left that same section out too, and it's not appeared in any of the tracking for Episodes II and III either.

I'm just going off of what Pope told me

I meant the sheet music is the original film version. So just because it has appeared in any video games it wasn't ever recorded? The original finale to episode two hasn't appeared anywhere other than mockups and those brief seconds in that recording sessions video.

The unused piece for "Droid Battle" may or may not have been recorded. It's possible there was a late change on the sound stage when they were recording the piece.

• 3 months later...

Here's a few more cue titles I dug up from BMI:

4942446 Droid Fight
4942447 Queen Amidala
4942448 The Droid Invasion [and the Appearance...]

4942452 Darth Sidious
4942453 Tentacles
4942454 Theed Palace Arrival
4942455 You're Under Arrest
4942456 Escape From Naboo
4942457 Intro Darth Maul
4942458 Arrival at Tatooine

4942460 I'm A Pilot, You Know

4942462 Stealing Food
4942463 Through the Slave Quarters

4942465 Are You a Jedi?
4942466 Watto's Deal

4942468 It's Working
4942469 The Sith Spacecraft

4942473 Start Your Engine
4942474 Anakin Defeats Sebulba

4942476 Anakin is Free
4942477 Darth Maul and Qui-Gon
4942478 Naboo Palace
4942479 The Queen and Palpatine
4942480 High Council Meeting

4942482 Anakin's Test
4942483 Chosen One

4942485 Moving Forward
4942486 The Gungans
4942487 Promoting Jar Jar
4942488 Armies Face Off
4942489 Laser Fight
4942490 Take To Your Ships

4942493 The Big Army
4942494 The Duel Begins

4942496 The Duel Continues

4942500 Qui-Gon's Noble End
4942503 End Of Darth Maul

12326411 Kids At Play
12326412 Coruscant Arrival
12326413 Darth And Qui-Gon
12326414 Great Duel
12326415 Duel CTD
12326421 Insert
12326424 Battle Part II C

14483923 Up The Wire
14483924 End Titles
14483925 String Cluster
14483934 Starfleet Deployed (Possibly, seems to fit the theme, could be title for what we know as Droid Invasion)
14483937 Battle Lines (Possibly, seems to fit the preceeding cues and not the ones following, could be title for what we know as War Plans)

14484536 Battleship Destroyed

14484552 Droid Battle

14484579 Race Begins

Interesting that a couple wound up listed twice, and the original listing for "The Race Begins" isn't on there any more. There might be some I've missed but there was a total of 4793 titles that the search drew up.

"Battle Lines" COULD be "Forest Mist". A couple of those look like titles from the "Ultimate Edition".

"Starfleet Deployed"...ya seems like it could be "Droid Invasion". I wonder what "Insert" is...

14483925 String Cluster

Hey i suppose that's the unkown file from the TPM videogame...

Remains unkown :P anyway

It fits given it is a big strings cluster. I just want to know what it was meant for - it isn't titled as an insert.

14483934 Starfleet Deployed (Possibly, seems to fit the theme, could be title for what we know as Droid Invasion)

14483937 Battle Lines (Possibly, seems to fit the preceeding cues and not the ones following, could be title for what we know as War Plans)

These are from ESB, not TPM. There isn't anything new on this list.

Droid Invasion is Droid Invasion.

War Plans is Promoting Jar Jar.

How do you know this for certain? Because those names are as far as I can tell not official TESB cue names. They could be shortened track titles for OSTs, true enough, but why bother with that?

I can tell you that it's certainly new to me to actually have certain titles confirmed because nobody has ever seen a proper cue list.

That may be true enough. That being said, the closest I've found to those two are "Drawing the Battle Lines/Leia's Instructions" on the Anthology, and "Imperial Starfleet Deployed/City in the Clouds" on the CS set. There'd be no reason to remove half of the title and then cut down the remaining half, especially if those aren't even the real cue names as is often the case.

As I labelled them, they're 'possible' titles because I wasn't sure. It just seemed odd they'd be dumped in between TPM titles. That and they don't correspond to anything, as both instances that use those words "Imperial Starfleet Deployed" and "Drawing The Battle Lines" are both album titles that only mention one part of a track. I've been wrong before, I just thought it was curious. That being said, given how Droid Invasion has not appeared on there as of yet (aside from the instance which is quite obviously the UE track title) I'd like to know how, without an actual cue list, we can know these are correct titles. I've never, ever found evidence of a partial cue list anywhere but on Wikipedia.

Which would mean you have access to them, or know somebody who does, am I right in assuming this?

Please put all us out our misery. Please post the correct cue list and end this guessing game once and for all. I know that it wouldn't answer all the questions but it'd go some way to clearing up the confusion and eliminating fake cue titles.

Battle Lines, I'll give you that, even if it does not make sense to me to shorten a title that's already on BMI anyway. Starfleet Deployed is still not on that list, though.