Star Wars Prequel Music Resource (part 2)

John Crichton

Ok my mistake,

I always thought that the choir was substituted by metals in the instrumental. I have listened to both very closely now and see that its probablt the same recording. The choir almost mutes the instrument that are playing the same notes....

I thought this was like the Call of the Champions intrumental version.

Move along :P

Don't get me wrong, I'd still love to have the instrumental version in full. Heck, I'd love the choral in solo too, that'd be quite haunting to listen to on its own, I reckon.

Yup gttuck is right. All the choir and percussion was recorded separately for the prequels. That's why some cues from the "Ultimate Edition" for the Phantom Menace are missing their percussion IE: Escape From Naboo and towards the beginning of Battleship Destroyed.

Yup gttuck is right. All the choir and percussion was recorded separately for the prequels. That's why some cues from the "Ultimate Edition" for the Phantom Menace are missing their percussion IE: Escape From Naboo and towards the beginning of Battleship Destroyed.

The bit of Escape From Naboo in the album that's on "Qui-Gon's Noble End" also lacks percussion in the same places as the UE. Also, don't forget that Anakin Defeats Sebulba too lacks percussion in the album, and even more so in the UE, and that this may also explain how Lucas dialled out the piccolo/flutes at the beginning of Duel Continues/Crash Landing.

Ah ya almost forgot about Anakin Defeats Sebulba.

Indeed about "The Great Duel (Part 2) / Crash Landing". As we know those same piccolos got moved to the middle portion of "Qui-Gon's Noble End" on the Ultimate Edition.

oh so those cool alternates were just the same cue with added percussion...

its strange about escape from naboo. it feels so natural with those added drums, and without them.

Mmm if lucas didnt like it, (its never used in any prequel)...it was not made by request of him in the recording sessions. So Williams composed it on purpose. Why didnt he include his original version like in so many other CDs? Maybe lucas convinced him that it was too much... heh, shame.

Williams has allowed odd amendments to cues on his albums. He says it's because he prefers to think of the Prequel CDs as concert arrangements.

I forgot that the Star Wars Kinect game got delayed to this year...hopefully that game will give us even more (perhaps all) of the remaining missing prequel music.

BTW, does anybody have the file #117 from Bounty Hunter (or the whole game rip clean, for that matter) that is used for Zam's Dirty Trick at 0:32-0:54 clean? The files I have for Bounty Hunter are all full of sound FX.

Just as a note, I'd recommend using TOR files over BF2 files in several cases, as I know how the format in BF2 is compiled (owing to my modding days on Battlefront).

In a few cases, yes, but there are times where the quality is inferior, even among files from the same game - there's two practically identical versions of the Flag Parade there but one is better quality than the other.

I realized that the TOR rips had a couple of parts from the last section for the "Battle Of Geonosis". I stitched it together and I am sure I did a pretty good approximation. I know it's tracked music but I tried to edit these pieces years ago (back in 2005 or so) and I sucked. Now with my editing skills having much improved since that time I'm going to give another stab at the other pieces. That'll be tomorrow I'll take a stab at the other pieces.

Just as a note, I'd recommend using TOR files over BF2 files in several cases, as I know how the format in BF2 is compiled (owing to my modding days on Battlefront).

The PS2 version uses ADPCM.

But, you mean, the .lvl archives?

The PS2 version uses ADPCM.

But, you mean, the .lvl archives?

Yes. While soundmunge.exe (the application responsible for converting the audio for use in Battlefront) takes ADPCM, it doesn't keep them as ADPCM strictly in the LVL files (whcih are simply a type of archive). The PS2 version is also lower quality than the PC and XBox versions.

I don't remember a million sources for the BF2 files

First it was "in game recordings" made by me,Trent and Henry buck. We used that for about 2 years

Then the game was cracked and someone posted direct rips in high quality of the Prequel relevant material. I don't recall that being updated by better files

Can somebody please help me with an inquiry I have? I am trying to build an edit for the cue Zam's Dirty Trick for AOTC right now. My problem is that the Bounty Hunter file that is supposed to be used with this cue (specifically file #117) is loaded with sound fx in that specific spot. The spot in question is between 0:32 seconds and 0:55 seconds. My question is, did all of you have the same problem and have the FX in your edit? Or are there a set of files from the Bounty Hunter game that do not have sound effects? If so, can somebody point me in the right direction or perhaps even provide me with that snippet of music clean?

Thanks for the help.

Unfortunately there's no other clean file. I think the only thing to do is try to find that spot in the game (it's on gamecube) and just not have Jango moving around. I included it because it's an important piece to the cue and that spot has more sfx from the DVD rip.

Yes, that is what I was referring to. Thank you for the quick reply! I wasn't sure if you guys had a clean version of that file. Well, I guess that's one more little snippet of music we can only hope pops up in an expansion for TOR or maybe in the Kinect XBOX game! I really am hoping the Kinect game has the last remaining pieces we are looking for. I still have my old GameCube, but I wouldn't know how to exactly do it in terms of ripping the in-game audio or recording it directly to the computer.

I have to say, editing this score these last few weeks has really made me appreciate it so much more than I had in the past. I think I like AOTC score almost as much as TPM now.

Thanks for the help again, guys!

• 2 weeks later...

Has it been confirmed that was actually "film version" and not just "musical" sound effects placed over/tracked into the score?

Good point, like the Gungan Digeridoo over Drums Insert on the UE.

Now that I really do think about what you suggested Faleel, it's very possible.

I have been listening to the hybrid edit I did for the cue quite a bit recently. We know that the percussion for the Prequels was recorded separately. They could have had just easily for the most part had the percussion for the whole cue (then horns layered towards the beginning) and bring in the brass/woodwinds where ever they wanted them.

Edit: BTW I'm talking about "Augie's Great Municipal Band".

if you overlap escape from naboo, and escape from naboo with drums, with one of them with the channels swapped, do the waves cancel each other?

That would be proof of them being the same recording, if not we must assume the LSO as excellent players and play on tempo always...

A game called "The Old Republic" came out a few months ago and had tons and tons of clean AOTC and ROTS music in it. And higher quality versions of stuff we had from other games.

Basically TPM is 99% complete now and AOTC and ROTS are only missing a few minutes here and there

A game called "The Old Republic" came out a few months ago and had tons and tons of clean AOTC and ROTS music in it. And higher quality versions of stuff we had from other games.

Basically TPM is 99% complete now and AOTC and ROTS are only missing a few minutes here and there

Yup Jason is right. All though a lot of tracks for AOTC are film version edits, a lot of them have clean intros / endings. 98% of ROTS is now clean. We're missing maybe up to or just over 7 minutes of music for that to be fully complete and clean.

The Old Republic did definitely had some new pieces for The Phantom Menace. Example... full clean stereo intro for "I'm A Pilot You Know". Other clean intros / endings that we did NOT have before.

Ha, kinda. I've stayed on top of the official releases just fine (partially thanks to Mark, who's doing just fine by the way in case anyone was wondering), but haven't been in the loop on the more..."underground" stuff. I did grab a complete Zelda: Skyward Sword game rip a couple of weeks ago.

• 2 weeks later...

The TOR stuff is a god send! Of course, naturally, I no longer have any of my old game material, so I'm making due with an expanded set created solely with OSTs and TOR. It's going about as well as you'd expect.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I haven't kept up with unreleased music from Phantom Menace at all since playing the old video game and Jedi Power Battles. But check this out. I was waiting in line at the new Star Tours at WDW and they were playing an extended version of The Republic Pilots Take Off Into Space, or whatever you want to call it. I was freaking out nearly stopping in line as they were playing it in the outdoor portion. It was really awesome, stuff I didn't even know existed. Is this out there?

Okay, I haven't kept up with unreleased music from Phantom Menace at all since playing the old video game and Jedi Power Battles. But check this out. I was waiting in line at the new Star Tours at WDW and they were playing an extended version of The Republic Pilots Take Off Into Space, or whatever you want to call it. I was freaking out nearly stopping in line as they were playing it in the outdoor portion. It was really awesome, stuff I didn't even know existed. Is this out there?

The original cue title is "Take To Your Ships". ggtuck is right that the games feature TWO different takes for the cue. The full unedited cue is pretty awesome to hear, compared to the cut-up garbage on the "Ultimate Edition".

I have a feeling the footage we see matching the happy part in the final film is not the same as the footage he wrote it for. They changed everything around and just kept the cue instead of having him write a new one

I have a feeling the footage we see matching the happy part in the final film is not the same as the footage he wrote it for. They changed everything around and just kept the cue instead of having him write a new one

No, they just flipped the A and B part of the music for some reason. I'll make a video demonstrating the original intent of JW.

The entire scene was reordered with it, but yes, you'd be right in saying that the music doesn't fit that scene.

If I'm not mistaken, the following unused - and unreleased - part was meant to score a shorter version of the Gungan Battle scene (the same one that has "Anakin Defeats Sebulba" tracked in in the final film)

If I remember correctly, Luke's theme is stated heroically at the very moment that we see a Naboo soldier shot and killed. Now that's some lousy music editing.

I honestly think for a long while the movie was edited really well and the music all lined up with in, then as release date approached he showed it to too many friends who all gave him different ideas and re re-edited the hell out of it and the music suffered greatly as a result.

I'd LOVE to see the cut of the film that JW scored to.