Star Wars Prequel Music Resource (part 2)

John Crichton

doesnt a similar emperor's theme appear in anakin's confession from AOTC?

Nope, that Sidious theme is tracked and pitch-shifted material from the Finale of AOTC.

IIRC, it's because that's the bit that was put back in the film for the video release.

Also, I have another question. In the first 15 sec. of "Inspecting the Army" (Ogg 26; OST 9 1:27), is that third note a loop in the film (and the file), or just "microedited" out on the album?

Kendall,

Ya it's looped, the OST is the correct version to use.

I've noticed for the most part the AOTC material in the games uses the film mixes / edits. So the reports of Sony having an U.E. for AOTC ready to go in early 2002 seems like they were true after all.

I don't know,I'm not familiar with the process of ripping.

I don't know if the .ogg files are the "source files" or if it was some other format initially that could have been ripped in better quality

No, they're in another format otherwise they'd essentially be easy to take and edit.

The pc version used Wwise ogg files. They're fake ogg files which however can easily be converted.

Did anyone ever check "LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga" for additional unreleased music?

Yes. It uses album mixes except for the end credits of the Episode IV, V and VI missions, which have the clean opening to the TPM/AOTC end credits. Then again, they reprise this from LSW2.

I really wish they had used unreleased material, especially for Episode III (which, in the first game, didn't use the Episode III score as it hadn't been finished at the time)

Also the real game for Revenge Of The Sith didn't use any of the score from that film. The reason being is because the time they got that game done they had I think either just started or had just finished the recording sessions for the film. So that's why they used material from the other scores except for that one.

How would I edit "A New Hope" (A Home for the Twins) together exactly? It seems edited at about 0:07 (slight note fade?) but the film version differs on how it gets there. Is the film version an Alternate version?

"A Home for the Twins" is actually presented in its entirety on the album - there's no editing whatsoever. Apparently, Williams later wrote an insert that contains the additional music heard in the film. It's up to you whether you want to incorporate the insert from the DVD rip into the cue, or leave it as a separate track. (I included it in the body of the score...it's a great insert.)

Okay, what I'll do is have the full version with the insert on my third disc (which also contains the Album takes of certain cues)

Another question of mine is how End Credits was recorded, as most of the Battle of the Heroes take there is evidently the same takes used in the film's "Revenge of the Sith" cue and the full Battle of the Heroes. Was it simply recorded in several stages, then bridged in post-production? And there's that timpani roll which introduces the last section of the End Credits. Lucas tracks it all over the place - to prematurely end Elevator Scene, to use in the tracked music in the Utapau sequences etc. Was that recorded standalone or was it just isolated and slapped on?

• 2 weeks later...

I've gone and uploaded some random files I made during the course of my editing. These include speed corrections of the TPM UE, and a couple of isolated-opening cue pieces I made by reversing the waveform of certain parts of cues from TFU and TFU2 and mixing them into BF2 and TFU pieces (primarily I Am the Senate and News of the Attack).

GoodMusician had the clean ending - he used it in his AOTC edit, but he never told me where he got it and I've never found it in any of the game files I have.

I really wish they had used unreleased material, especially for Episode III (which, in the first game, didn't use the Episode III score as it hadn't been finished at the time)

i've heard LSWIII will have some [new?] missions from episode II so perhaps unreleased prequels music?

i've heard LSWIII will have some [new?] missions from episode II so perhaps unreleased prequels music?

Since it's based on the Clone Wars TV series it's more likely to be using The Clone Wars material. And for the Episode II missions they'll probably just reuse the same stuff from LSW1, or reuse BFII mixes if we're 'lucky'.

A possible location of where Lap Three might go in the film, and where the Tremolo Swell might go in the film:

Lap Three: This could be for the scene where Sebulba chucks that tool into the podracer behind, which is immeditely followed by Anakin's Podracer's cable flying off and him trying to reattach it while the other racers pass him by. Or it could go, as the title suggests, right after the beginning of Lap Three, as Debulba forces Anakin onto the service ramp.

Tremolo Swell: Could go right before Anakin Defeats Sebulba, as Sebulba closes in on Anakin.

So is there any new major discoveries in the TFU 2 oggs after more careful listening ?

Trent kind of posted his findings in 30 minutes after getting the files (not sure how he went through them that fast)

I've found nothing new in TFU2 itself but I have managed to use some of the files to isolate some clean cue openings and whatnot from TFU1 and BF2 - notably the removal of the drums from News of the Attack. Sadly I couldn't do it to the clean opening of Fighting with Grievous - I can remove the "Death of Dooku" timpani roll from the beginning but not the cymbal roll. I really wish they'd included more of I Am the Senate, and maybe the Revenge of the Sith version of Duel of the Fates (I am still curious as to whether John Williams re-recorded the choral of that entirely or just what was used in the film), but eh... maybe in the next LucasArts game (excluding LSWIII which will probaby just use TCW music)

I did went through and carefully listen to every piece of music...here's what we have new, which I posted when I made the list...

From Attack Of The Clones:

A better transition from "Thwarted Attempt" (aka Ambush On Coruscant). (file 260)

Nearly all of "The Meeting Of Anakin and Padmé" (aka Requited Love). (file 14)

A previously unreleased section of "Zam The Assassin". (file 29)

A piece from "Zam The Assassin" with the statement of Shmi's theme. (file 29)

A portion of "The Chase Through Coruscant" where the first appearance of the guitar is nearly muted like in the film. (file 170)

A much more cleaner opening for "The Library Scene" (file 31)

Nearly all of "Interview With Jango". (file 134)

An unreleased section from "Bounty Hunter's Pursuit". (file 166)

The ending of "Anakin Changes" (aka Anakin's Confession) with the a proper clean ending before going into "Shmi's Funeral". (file 272)

A section from "Dooku vs. Obi-Wan" that we did not have before I'm talking about after the drum roll. (file 356)

A portion of "Dooku Vs. Anakin" with the tremolo swell laid over it but then cuts back to the same material as used in Battlefront 2.

A better quality for "Yoda Strikes Back", when Yoda fights Dooku. (file 232)

From Revenge Of The Sith:

A good chunk of the action bits from "Death Of Dooku". (file 208)

File 452144910 contains the drum roll when Dooku was beheaded. It also contains the proper fade out and the length of time to which the next piece of the cue would start playing.

A portion of the ending for "Death Of Dooku" before it goes into the ending we got from TFU 1. All though not complete but better than what we had. It's file 219.

A good chunk of "Revisiting Padmé". (file 26)

More of "Be Careful Of Your Friend", the piece near the end that was left out before. (file 23)

I think a portion that will have a better transition go into all the pieces that are now found for this cue. (file 40)

File 403 contains a piece from "Scenes and Dreams". It would probably help for a better transition into the previously unreleased DVD material.

A higher quality ending for "Good Guys Arrive". (file 362)

A clean opening for "Palpatine's Seduction", which before we had to fake from either the OST or use rear channel DVD rips. (file 29)

A full clean opening for "Rolling With Grievous". (34)

While it's true the other stuff was layered on top of the opening for "Fighting With Grievous" but it's much better than using a rear channel DVD rip. (file 334)

A much more truer cleaner portion for the edited out ending of "Fighting With Grievous". (file 149)

A clean opening and ending for "Dialogue With Mace". (file 31).

An actual clean opening of the drums for "I Am The Senate". (file 171)

An unused section of "I Am The Senate" in better quality than before. (file 197)

File 171 also contains a section of "I Am The Senate" that was with TFU 1 but it appears this is better quality. It's the piece where Mace is being shocked by Palpatine's lightning.

Also file 212 contains more of file 171 but again it appears to be better quality than from TFU 1.

Again another unused section of "I Am The Senate" in higher quality than before. (file 237)

File 216 contains more of the unused section of "I Am The Senate" in higher quality than before.

An unused section of "I Am The Senate" with the statement of the love theme. (file 23)

A clean ending for "Swimming, Droids, Yoda Farewell" in file 223. All though it almost sounds like it's going into "News Of The Attack" just with the opening part of those strings dialed out.

Some parts of "News Of The Attack", though I think we had this section before. (file 40)

All of "It Can't Be" thanks to the light side End Credits.

A small previously unreleased section of "Padmé's Visit". (file 260)

The missing transition to go into the statement of the Emperor's theme from "Birth Of The Twins" (file 14)

I will add I thought file 240 may have been from "Palpatine's Big Pitch" but I'm uncertain now what it is. It's possible it's Griskey's music and it sounds very much like something Williams wrote.

Something interesting: I placed a test-edit for Duel of the fates instrumental version (I discovered that the mix has a slight echo in the Album and various other sources and I was trying to replicate that slight echo for the instrumental) on YouTube and it comes up as being owned by Warner Chappell. Could it be that the rumours of official complete scores might be coming true? I used part of the music of the A Musical Journey DVD and part of the Album to fill in gaps where the material didn't match, and those pieces are/were owned by SONY. Curious...

None of my other Star Wars music videos on there have this though. And when I posted the full version of It Can't Be isolated it came up as being owned by SONY, as have pretty much all of my Star Wars videos except for the unused TPM end credits, which is flagged as the "Music Publishing Rights Collecting Society". Usually videos like that tend to come up as having two copyright holders. And I find it curious that only the DOTF Instrumental has come up as this so far.

You mean all this unreleased music that keeps on popping up in video games thanks to the people who actually have the recording sessions? The music that is so easily rippable these days?

XD Just to reiterate the point that LucasArts, or somebody in there, seems to be doing us all big favours, at least until the complete scores are released.

At the recent big Star Wars gathering (Celebration VI, I think?) a soundtrack release for all six films is being considered to tie into the release for the Blu-Ray movies of the film. Now whether or not they'll be the same old releases for the OT and repackaged OST's for the Prequels who knows.

MY theory is we'll get properly remastered and remixed versions of the Original Trilogy scores plus the full 100% intended versions of the Prequels to tie into the Blu-Ray release for the films. I'm sure when Lucasfilm said it was being considered they mean they were working on it. They would be stupid enough not to make a great soundtrack release tie in for a great Blu-Ray release.

At the recent big Star Wars gathering (Celebration VI, I think?) a soundtrack release for all six films is being considered to tie into the release for the Blu-Ray movies of the film. Now whether or not they'll be the same old releases for the OT and repackaged OST's for the Prequels who knows.

MY theory is we'll get properly remastered and remixed versions of the Original Trilogy scores plus the full 100% intended versions of the Prequels to tie into the Blu-Ray release for the films. I'm sure when Lucasfilm said it was being considered they mean they were working on it. They would be stupid enough not to make a great soundtrack release tie in for a great Blu-Ray release.

That would be wonderful. :unsure:

This is why I can't muster the energy to sit down and sift through files and make edits. Too many rumors floating around about expanded scores. I'm content to pick up the pieces and correct shortcomings after the release of expanded scores. Until then... well, it just seems like life could, personally, be better spent.

well you only need to spend a night or two doing it after a new game is released. It's kind of fun if your not too obsessive about it.

That's why I leave out any DVD rear channel rips that could ruin the listening experience . I'll have some new music to listen to when they are officially released

I've just noticed - 2M2 is missing from the Revenge of the Sith cue list, as are 3M4, 4M2 and 5M2. What are these missing cues? Were they originally written to be used where tracked music ended up being placed? Did Williams write these cues but not record them?

I've also had a thought - In the film, it sounds like Council Meeting 1 cuts out before it is supposed to end. The cue list calls it one cue. So what I've done is mixed the beginning of Council Meeting 2 into the end of Council Meeting 1. It sounds okay even though the repeated note is still there.

That doesn't actually explain skipping out on 3M4, 4M2 and 5M2 in the list.

Where exactly does "Swimming, Droids and Yoda Farewell" end before News of the Attack begins? That's really confusing to me. I'm assuming now that in the film, News of the Attack begins when Anakin returns to padme's apartment, while Swimming, Droids and Yoda Farewell ends where Obi-Wan gets off Utapau and finds Bail Organa.

I've been thinking for a while that we're missing a cue title. "News of the Attack" begins after the snare drums cut out, as Anakin arrives at Padme's place. If we have all the cue titles, that means "Swimming, Droids, and Yoda Farewell" would continue all the way through Obi-wan's escape from Utapau, right up through the start of "News of the Attack." But this seems very unlikely to me. Look at the title, for one - it clearly describes everything up through Yoda's escape from Kashyyyk, but nothing after that. And it totally sounds like the kind of transition Williams often does between cues, from Yoda's theme into that awesome ostinato. So I think that that's the start of a new cue that ends when "News of the Attack" begins. But who knows...without the recording sessions or sheet music for "Swimming, Droids, and Yoda Farewell", we can't really be sure.

I've just noticed - 2M2 is missing from the Revenge of the Sith cue list, as are 3M4, 4M2 and 5M2. What are these missing cues? Were they originally written to be used where tracked music ended up being placed? Did Williams write these cues but not record them?

I've also had a thought - In the film, it sounds like Council Meeting 1 cuts out before it is supposed to end. The cue list calls it one cue. So what I've done is mixed the beginning of Council Meeting 2 into the end of Council Meeting 1. It sounds okay even though the repeated note is still there.

This is the cue list I made, placing tracked music where I believe it was pre-planned beforehand to be tracked.

1M1 [TRACKED -- 20th Century Fox Fanfare]

1M2 [TRACKED -- Main Title]

1M3 Boys into Battle

1M4 They're Coming Around

1M4a "Get 'em, R-2!"

1M5 The Elevator Scene

1M6 Count Dooku's Entrance

1M7 The Death of Dooku

1M8 [TRACKED -- Going Down]

2M1 [untitled -- Grevious Flees]

2M2 [TRACKED -- Coruscant's Warm Welcome]

2M3 Another Happy Landing

2M4 Revisiting Padme

2M5 Grievous Travels to Palpatine

2M6 Scenes and Dreams

2M7 Be Careful of Your Friend

3M1 Council Meeting

3M2 Hold Me February

3M2a Palpatine's TV Set

3M3 Palpatine's Big Pitch

3M4 [TRACKED -- Battle of Kashyyk]

3M5 Goodbye Old Friend

3M6 Going to Utapau

3M7 Riding the Lizard

3M8 Obi-Wan Faces Droids

4M1x Drawing Swords

4M1 [TRACKED -- Fighting with Grevious]

4M1a Good Guys Arrive

4M2 [TRACKED -- A Plot to Destroy the Jedi]

4M3 Palpatine's Seduction

4M4 Rolling with Grievous

4M4a Fighting with Grievous

4M5 Dialogue with Mace

4M5a Padme's Ruminations

4M6 I Am the Senate

5M1 Palpatine Instructs Anakin

5M2 [TRACKED -- Execute Order 66]

5M3 Lament

5M3a Bail's Escape

5M4 Swimming, Droids and Yoda Farewell

5M5 News of the Attack

5M6 Moving Things Along

5M7 Anakin's Dark Deeds

6M1 It Can't Be

6M2 A Moody Trip

6M3 Padme's Visit

6M4 Heroes Collide

6M5 Duel of the Fates

6M6 Yoda Falls

6M7 The Boys Continue

6M8 (Rev.) Yoda to Exile

6M9 Revenge of the Sith

7M1 The Immolation Scene

7M2 Anakin Crawling

7M3 The Birth of the Twins

7M4 The Death of Padme

7M5 Plans for the Twins

7M6 Padme's Funeral

7M7 A Home for the Twins

7M8 End Credits

Battle of the Heroes

• 2 weeks later...

The taiko drum part isn't in the sheet music. There's a "big Japanese drum" part, but it only plays during the opening measures, and it's not just the same "1.......3...1.......3...1.......3..." rhythm over and over again.

Are you suggesting that the album version of "Boys into Battle" may be more incomplete than we first thought? I'd like to hear how this 'big Japanese drum' part was supposed to sound. I also don't think the same drums were used in both Boys into Battle and They're Coming Around - they sound far too different, the drums in They're Coming Around sound much heavier as well as slower.

Henry,

That guy practically replicated the drums 100% to sync with the spots as they are heard in the film. Well at least from 1:36 onwards. It's actually the best reproduction I've heard.

Anyways, for Star Trek we all know Chris Tilton did do the drum over dubs. For some cues it actually helps (IE: Hella Bar Talk, Chutes and Matter, Scotty's Tanked, etc...). For the most part though I do definitely prefer the score with out them.

You might want to take a look at my replication:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7mMRRIEcw0

I hate the drums overdubbed there, personally, but I did decide to replicate it for my edit because several people wanted that version. Thankfully I actually have the same samples that seem to have been used in the films for the 'synth' timpanis - they're actually timpani hits from the East/West Symphonic Orchestra program.

I have the DLC, it was released on the 14th. It doesn't appear as though there's anything new. Since the DLC covers the Battle of Endor, it contains largely Episode VI music.

Since the PC has a lot of the DLC in there already (expect for the maps although I honestly haven't checked that yet) I wouldn't be surprised if PC does get it.

The Clone Wars: A New Time trailer has most of the Episode III version of Duel of the Fates in it (what's absent can be replaced with the TPM instrumental overlaying the rear channel rip). But it's in mono. I'm on the trail of a HD version that might have stereo sound.