Yes or No: The Shire Theme is based on This Is My Father's World

Sandor

I've been wondering about this issue for quite some time, but haven't read anything conclusive about it.

The Shire Theme (the opening melody that is) resembles the traditional Christian hymn 'This Is My Father's World'.

Melody starts a few seconds in the song.

Did Howard Shore INTENTIONALLY quote the hymn (perhaps knowing Tolkien was a devout Catholic) or is it pure coincidental?

Does Doug Adams mention anything about this in his book?

I do not think the similarity is intentional, perhaps unconscious but unintentional. The Hymn setting of the Shire theme is obviously rooted in the Western religious hymn tradition as Doug Adams says in his book but I do not think there is further connection. I do not deny the similarity but rather the intentionality. Certainly there is no acknowledged connetion from the composer.

Very interesting! It reminds of the situation between one of the themes from the animated "The Hobbit" and "Far and Away". They both start in the same direction, but then separate. It happens practically the same here.

Any more LOTR influences?

• 6 months later...

Very interesting! It reminds of the situation between one of the themes from the animated "The Hobbit" and "Far and Away". They both start in the same direction, but then separate. It happens practically the same here.

Any more LOTR influences?

What theme in The Hobbit?

(sorry for digging up such an old post)

• 5 years later...

I was surprised in my searches of the forum to find no discussion of Shore's direct quote of the popular Christian hymn "This Is My Father's World" (music written in 1915) for The Shire theme.  I haven't followed coverage/discussion of these scores as closely as any one in this subforum so I wanted to ask if Shore ever talked about the connection?  Was it a coincidence or did he quote it for a specific reason?

If anyone is unaware of this, it's melody of the opening line of the hymn:

Good to know, thanks Doug!

With his Jewish background it wasn't even an unconscious recall from childhood I guess! ;P

Still, definitely a one in a million coincidence.  Growing up, my dad was the organist at our church and the first thing he said leaving the theater after seeing FOTR was how much he liked the use of "This is My Father's World"!

This was discussed already back in 2002 or 2003. :)

And now we have the definitive answer from Doug. Case closed.

I don't think of it as a case to be prosecuted. It's an interesting musical coincidence that is more than worth pointing out. A precisely duplicated melody, even not duplicated on purpose, must remain a permanent part of the historical analysis of these scores IMO, if that makes any sense. It's not something to be swept under the rug.

Besides I was 15 in 2002 and not exactly following online film score discussions closely.

EDIT:

OK, here's an analogy I thought of.  Imagine if the opening couple of measures of a new John Williams theme for a movie was an exact quote of the opening melody of "Hey Jude" by The Beatles.  You could rationally know that Williams might not have done it on purpose, but it's all you'd be able to hear.  For people who grew up going to certain types of Christian churches where "This is My Father's World" is a very popular and common hymn to sing on Sundays, that's what it's like.

For what it's worth, it took me a long time to get past this similarity in 2001.  Also, when I would listen to FOTR at home, my parents would note the similarity as well.

I'm sure it's unintentional, but it is similar.

4 hours ago, mstrox said:

For what it's worth, it took me a long time to get past this similarity in 2001.  Also, when I would listen to FOTR at home, my parents would note the similarity as well.

I'm sure it's unintentional, but it is similar.

It's the same with some of Horner's melodies that unfortunately resemble some older Finnish pop tunes. As fond of borrowing he was, he wasn't that desperate. :P

2 minutes ago, SafeUnderHill said:

I'd never heard of this piece until I saw it being pointed out in comparison to the Shire theme. It is unfortunate that that one melodic fragment is identical to one setting of the Shire theme.

Why is it unfortunate?

At this point, so many years later, it is always there in the back of my mind when I listen to the soundtracks or watch the movies, but it long ago stopped being a distraction.  I think it helps that I vastly prefer where Shore takes that opening melody to where the hymn goes!

3 minutes ago, SafeUnderHill said:

Because it draws attention away from the music itself. People discuss why Shore used that melody, or whether it was intentional etc when at the end of the day it's a pure coincidence. 

Indeed

21 hours ago, Doug Adams said:

I asked him. It's not based on it.

Shore was also pretty blunt about it in his Reddit AMA :lol:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2osjqp/this_is_composer_howard_shore_lets_talk_about/cmq616t?context=3#cmq5qb6

9 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

What else is there to say really? Short and sweet (or blunt). :lol:

He should just get used to it, it's not going to stop coming up with new people.

(Well, it probably will eventually stop coming up given the continued popularity of these movies and the declining popularity of attending church in the developed world)