Which cues did you wish they included in the OST?

Once

Yeah, the title says it all Which cues/tracks did you just wish they had included in the official soundtrack for a movie?

For me, I wish they had included the track where Harry looks for Peter Pettigrew and the 'rescuing Sirius' track in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Also I would have loved a instrumental version of "Face to Face" from Batman Returns.

What about you guys? ;)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of them.

I wish soundtracks could be release complete to begin with.

But to answer the question, I wish the original Superman album had included the helicopter sequence.

^Agreeing with Mark here, but taking the question as this: Which cues would you have liked in the OST if you couldn't have a complete score?

The Phantom Menace: pretty much the rest of the Battle of Naboo, and the instrumental Duel of the Fates

Revenge of the Sith: I Am the Senate

The Matrix Reloaded: Double Trouble (Film techno remix) and the unnamed orchestral/Komit combo when neo flies to the Oracle's home.

Terminator 2: Introduction cue from the beginning of the film.

The Terminator: The film version of the main theme

Terminator Salvation: The "short" Terminator Theme.

The Matrix Reloaded: Double Trouble (Film techno remix) and the unnamed orchestral/Komit combo when neo flies to the Oracle's home.

Good choices and for that orchestra / Komit combo is actually Don Davis' music mixed with Komit's but a revised version. It's called "Free Flight" on the complete score. The one on the complete score is an unused version.

BTW I too wish the same as Mark. I wish the full score would just get released right off the bat to begin with.

/foetal position

You'd better be.

Rescuing Sirius from PoA

One of the piano statements of the love theme from The Village

That's two I can think of immediately. But I'd support the idea of composers making a listening experience for Thor, then including additional material as a bonus/download/etc if they want to.

Off the top of my hedad: Return to the Village/end credits, Short Round Helps, The Dark Side Beckons (seriously, wtf JW, I know you only had one LP, but srsly, drop freaking Lapti Nek), Funeral Pyre For A Jedi, The German Sub/Ride to the Nazi hideout, Amazing Grace, A Quest For Vengeance, A Good Start, A Fighting Chance To Live, Shadowfax, Anyone Can Cook (film version).

Die Hard 3: Any of the Johnny Comes Marching Home material

Indiana Jones 4: Awesome Indy March variations from the beginning of the full Jungle Chase

Prisoner Of Azkaban: Rescuing Sirius

Sorceror's Stone: Harry Gets His Wand, Hagrid's Flashback, You're A Wizard Harry, 3 Note Loop, The Blue Forest, Entry Into The Great Hall, The Sorting, Gryffindor Wins

Hook: second half of The Ultimate War

Phantom Menace: many cues featuring new variations on the Force Theme and Duel Of The Fates

Jurassic Park: T-Rex Chase

Indy 4: warehouse escape

Indy 2: Captives of the Thugee (Mola Rams Speech/Indy Possesed/Will in the Fryer) or the Anything Goes insert in Once in a Vial

Indy 3: On The Tank or Death of Kazim

Raiders: Indy Rides The Statue insert/alternate

Superman The Movie: The Big Rescue or Pushing Boulders

From RotS, Obi-Wan's escape from Utapau. From the RotK OST, the variation of Nature's theme that plays right before the Rohan charges into battle.

I still say they should release the full score first time around. Pay all the fees so they can do that. That is for scores that were recorded here in the United States.

I never understood why the Star Wars scores got OST treatments first before expanded versions came out. I'm talking about the OT scores and The Phantom Menace (despite it being not the correct version). Those scores as we all know were recorded in London. They did not have to worry about reuse fees. They should have been able to just to release the full score for each film right off the bat.

Off the top of my head:

The Incredibles: "Heading for Land" (the whole score is quite excellent, though...)

Who Framed Roger Rabbit: "Cab Chase"

Back to the Future Part II: "Leaving 2015," "Hell Valley," "I'm Back/To Be Concluded.../The West"

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom: "The Child Returns"

A pet peeve is when the album concert suites aren't the superior ones that are actually performed. Like with The Lost World, The Patriot and Amistad. TLW and Amistad were covered fairly well, however. Even the Escapades version of Joy Ride (aka The "Float") is better than the album version.

End Credits and Davy Jones (Organ, Film Version) from Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. Or in fact, any of the unreleased cues from that film. Any.

End Credits and Davy Jones (Organ, Film Version) from Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. Or in fact, any of the unreleased cues from that film. Any.

NO! PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN IS ALL TRASH! D=< HANS ZIMMER SUCKS AT EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!111111111

That being said, I agree. I also wish they had released the bit where the Flying Dutchman fires upon the Black Pearl. That was one of favorites in the movie.

I've not got the ost. Is that cue unreleased then? From my vague memories of the movie, I remember thinking the end credits music with the organ being cool as hell.

I still say they should release the full score first time around. Pay all the fees so they can do that. That is for scores that were recorded here in the United States.

I never understood why the Star Wars scores got OST treatments first before expanded versions came out. I'm talking about the OT scores and The Phantom Menace (despite it being not the correct version). Those scores as we all know were recorded in London. They did not have to worry about reuse fees. They should have been able to just to release the full score for each film right off the bat.

There was no such thing as complete releases in 1977. I don't think it occurred to anybody that it would be profitable to release quadruple LPs rather than double LPs - and that's because it probably wouldn't have been. Besides, Williams likes doing his album arrangements.

You say that like the labels can just suddenly pay all the fees magically.

Believe me, I wish they would release full scores more often, but as long as the AFM (and the choir union to an extent) has its stupid 'all up-front' policy, it ain't gonna happen.

I'd say most realistically, ToD and LC missing cues. Williams blew it for Concord.

NO! PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN IS ALL TRASH! D=< HANS ZIMMER SUCKS AT EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!111111111

That being said, I agree. I also wish they had released the bit where the Flying Dutchman fires upon the Black Pearl. That was one of favorites in the movie.

You mean the attack/chase sequence after the "Jar Of Dirt" part? If so, I've got that cue..... ;)

I've not got the ost. Is that cue unreleased then? From my vague memories of the movie, I remember thinking the end credits music with the organ being cool as hell.

The OST is a disgrace, it really is. :blink:

The first part of the End Credits are completely unreleased, but can be ripped cleanly (minus a couple of opening notes, thanks to that bloody monkey...) from the DVD. The second and third parts are just edits of the Jack Sparrow and The Kraken suites from the OST. The final part is Davy Jones on the organ (different version than the better one used in the film), mixed with the end of the Davy Jones OST track and finally spliced with Jones's music box section of the cue for good measure. ;)

There are quite a lot interesting unreleased cues from that film, indeed... I've always liked the short cue that plays when Gibbs ask Jack where he's going to find 100 souls in 3 days, and Jack replies "Tortuga"... Love the cello here, or whatever instrument that is...

There certainly is! And yes you're right, that little playful cue is wonderful. :blink:

Also the whole Escape From Pelegosto Island, The Three-Way Duel / Fight For The Key etc.

The score gets a total bashing in most places, and if you've only heard what's on the OST then I agree that it's poor. However, like we've just seen with Harry Potter & The Philosopher's Stone, when you get to hear the complete score in film order, it actually sounds like a different score. The OST is just a mis-match of themes going everywhere without any structure, but with the unreleased bits you can really hear (and in my case, appreciate) how the score fully develops throughout the film.

I almost always miss memorable cues from the movie when I buy a OST, but the most egregious omission for me was the wrong choice/right choice cue from The Last Crusade; I mean, it's the finale, the moment Indy finds the holy grail, and one of the best pieces of music ever! Other cues I would have liked to see on CD (and in some cases I'm still waiting) are the 'mosquito in amber' moment in Jurassic Park (though it was sort of understandable that it wasn't included), 'Approaching the stones' in Temple of Doom, every other cue on any Star Wars OST (there must be like ten for ROTS that I'd like to have), the helicopter flight in Dante's Peak, etc. etc. Interestingly, Williams seems to be most likely to exclude my favorite cues from his CDs; many other composers are better when it comes to including the highlights on the OST.

There are quite a lot interesting unreleased cues from that film, indeed... I've always liked the short cue that plays when Gibbs ask Jack where he's going to find 100 souls in 3 days, and Jack replies "Tortuga"... Love the cello here, or whatever instrument that is...

There certainly is! And yes you're right, that little playful cue is wonderful. :)

Also the whole Escape From Pelegosto Island, The Three-Way Duel / Fight For The Key etc.

The score gets a total bashing in most places, and if you've only heard what's on the OST then I agree that it's poor. However, like we've just seen with Harry Potter & The Philosopher's Stone, when you get to hear the complete score in film order, it actually sounds like a different score. The OST is just a mis-match of themes going everywhere without any structure, but with the unreleased bits you can really hear (and in my case, appreciate) how the score fully develops throughout the film.

I wholeheartedly agree. Dead Man's Chest OST is awful, plain and simple. But if you compare the album version to the film version of cues, wow ! Like you said, Escape From Pelegostos Island is way better than Jack Sparrow (its album counterpart), and so is Davy Jones organ version. Same goes for The Thee-Way Duel and The Wheel Of Fortune. But as always with Zimmer, a lot of his cues are way better in their film version than in their album counterpart...

100% agree! :) Wonder if we'll ever see expanded/complete editions of the Pirates saga, especially 2 & 3? :huh:

I've noticed a lot of Zimmer's Pirate film versions of cues often have more drum overlays and a more powerful feel to what's presented on the OST. :)

I almost always miss memorable cues from the movie when I buy a OST, but the most egregious omission for me was the wrong choice/right choice cue from The Last Crusade; I mean, it's the finale, the moment Indy finds the holy grail, and one of the best pieces of music ever! Other cues I would have liked to see on CD (and in some cases I'm still waiting) are the 'mosquito in amber' moment in Jurassic Park (though it was sort of understandable that it wasn't included), 'Approaching the stones' in Temple of Doom, every other cue on any Star Wars OST (there must be like ten for ROTS that I'd like to have), the helicopter flight in Dante's Peak, etc. etc. Interestingly, Williams seems to be most likely to exclude my favorite cues from his CDs; many other composers are better when it comes to including the highlights on the OST.

Williams is a menace when it comes to arranging OSTs! :blink: Some of his editing choices to create a 'listening experience' leave a lot to be desired...