Fluffy's Harp versus Fluffy's Harp

Fluffy's Harp versus Fluffy's Harp  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which version do you prefer

• The film version played by harp alone
    • The album version with the bassoon accompaniment
    • Don't care either way, it's the same music.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any poster worth his salt provides links, you complete and utter letdown!

You should own the OST CD, if not, then you have no right to be posting here.

As for the other version...were have you been the last 2 weeks?

I own but two Potter scores: the first and the third. I've not listened to Philosopher's Stone for yonks, Potter isn't my thing. From memory I have no idea what Fluffy's Harp sounds like.

I think both suit their purposes very well. In the context of the film, the solo harp works because that's quite literally what's playing in the scene. It's a well-written but unobtrusive and dreamy sort of solo. As a listening experience on its own, it definitely feels very bare, and on that level, I prefer it with the contrabassoon counterpoint written for the Children's Suite. Gives it a little more substance.

It sounds like something from Angela's Ashes. Ever since hearing that score, Fluffy seems a lot less special to me. It's basically interchangeable "filler" JW music. I think it's one of the lesser cues of the score. Though, in its defense, it is just supposed to be a harp melody for the dog to sleep to.

I find both unbelievably boring. First thing I'd have tossed off the OST.

+1. Can't believe they put that on and missed off "Entry Into The Great Hall".....

What was Williams thinking when he chose the Children' Pieces to be included on the OST?

Hogwarts Forever and Fluffy's Harp are the 2 least interesting ones

I love "Hogwarts Forever", and I think it flows really well with the album. I moved it to the end with the rest of the Children's Suite, of course, but I'm just saying it did work well in its original position. As for "Fluffy's Harp"...it's certainly not the most action-packed movement of the suite, but I quite like it. And in any case, they had to pick movements that would flow well with the score, not necessarily the best movements on their own. I mean, I love "Quidditch", but there is absolutely no place in the OST where it would have worked.

Besides, the least interesting movement is "Voldemort." Nothing but three bassoons playing with Voldemort's themes for a few minutes. It would have been a VERY poor choice to put on the soundtrack.

What was Williams thinking when he chose the Children' Pieces to be included on the OST?

The listening experience of course.