Another Spielberg possibility: Robopocalypse

Charlie Brigden

• 1 month later...

Spielberg is pursuing Chris Hemsworth (Thor, The Avengers) for the lead in Robopocalypse.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/07/robopocalypse-chris-hemsworth-casting-steven-spielberg-dreamworks-fox/#more-301696

I don't think Hemsworth will turn it down. I mean, to work with Spielberg is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

Spielberg is pursuing Chris Hemsworth (Thor, The Avengers) for the lead in Robopocalypse.

http://www.deadline....ox/#more-301696

I don't think Hemsworth will turn it down. I mean, to work with Spielberg is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

so said Richard Dreyfuss, Tom Hanks, & Tom Cruise. ;)

I was hoping he's was going to drop this idea. The book is not very good and the story mundane, but worst of all the ending has no depth or resonance. You momentarily feel like THAT'S IT?!!!, but then you realize there was never anything that really connected to you so you forget.

Who said the movie would have the same ending as the book?

Have you read the Jurassic Park novel?

Who said the movie would have the same ending as the book?

Have you read the Jurassic Park novel?

true, it could have a different ending.

We (humans) could lose. actually we do lose. or do we win?

but the ending isn't the only problem. btw Jurassic Park is a masterpiece of writing compared to Robo...

It's been common to take not particularly good books as a starting point and change them as it's needed.

Very true. If Hitchcock was adapting Psycho today, everyone would be worried because the book is terrible compared to the film.

In fact, that was something very common that Hitchcock used to do: Take awful books and turn them into great movies. It's quite difficult to take a great book and adapt it correctly.

I agree with indy4. Joey should have known better. I've edited his post.

I'm sorry but you're wrong that's not a spoiler. No film of this sort will end any other way but that.

if he gets hemsworth then SS should also get hemsworth (the elder brother) to play the older brother,

there is no star in the movie as no one character is all that important. There are so many characters, it's got to be an huge ensemble cast.

He should have H. Joel Osmeth do the voice of the evil robot.

Yes, but if you're implying that ending is different from the book, then you've spoiled the book for anyone who may not have read it. Now I don't have to. Yay.

Yes, but if you're implying that ending is different from the book, then you've spoiled the book for anyone who may not have read it. Now I don't have to. Yay.

it's the journey not the destination.

I'm sorry but you're wrong that's not a spoiler. No film of this sort will end any other way but that.

Well assuming you're correct, not everybody had the powers of prediction that you have. I didn't know the movie had to end like that, so you've spoiled it for me (and others).

Tell that to all the people who skipped Titanic once they learned the ship sinks.

I'm more worried about how Lincoln ends.

Well assuming you're correct, not everybody had the powers of prediction that you have. I didn't know the movie had to end like that, so you've spoiled it for me (and others).

I've spoiled nothing, my comment was not what it seems. You made several false assumptions that 1. I told the complete truth, and 2, there there are only 2 possible endings.

I've spoiled nothing, my comment was not what it seems. You made several false assumptions that 1. I told the complete truth, and 2, there there are only 2 possible endings.

Three. The robots go back in time and kill E.T. and since the cops are armed with only walkie-talkies, E.T.'s brethren are able to conquer the planet.

the robots are walkie talkies.

oh should I have put that in spoiler tags.

The more I think about this the worse it gets. If John Williams scores it then it will probably be in the style of War of the Worlds and Minority Report which are definitely not my favorite scores from him. I don't have much hope for the film itself either.

I have high hopes for the movie. Minority Report is Steven Spielbergs best film since Saving Private Ryan (till today). Everything that forces him to go in that

direction is a good thing.

The score will give JW the creative variety he loves so much when working with Spielberg. This makes it less likely that he will retire completely after Lincoln.

• 2 months later...

According to Deadline, ex-Fox CEO Tom Rothman will be producing Robopocalypse (which is still slated to begin production in early 2013) and that Anne Hathaway will join Chris Hemsworth as well.

Hmm... Thor and Catwoman in a Spielberg film. Could be interesting to see.

Nice to see Spielberg continuing to work with younger, up-and-coming actors. He always finds a way to get a brilliant performance out of them.

This is only his second time casting an Aussie as his lead (first was Eric Bana, Munich).

Anne Hathaway??? I see no part in this film for her. Unless she's the congress woman but she seems too young for that character.

Chris Hemsworth? I wonder if he's petitioned JJ Abrams for a way to worm back into the Star Trek series, so he can work alongside his grown son. But that would require either time travel, alternate realities, or dream states, and Star Trek rarely uses such plot devices.

seems Anne is being axed to play Cherrah who was a short stocky woman. Anne will just have to play her tall and lanky.

Short and stocky? Who would they get to play her? Rachel Dratch?

Cherrah was sort of a rip off of Vasquez, so maybe Jenette Goldstein. Except she's too old, but she is short and stocky.

Not interested and not a fan of Hemsworth, the most overrated actor of our generation.

Uh, no.

He's only been acting for like 2 years, and no one is calling him the next De Niro. He's a charismatic guy, I've got no beef with him headlining summer blockbusters.

Not interested and not a fan of Hemsworth, the most overrated actor of our generation.

Uh, no.

He's only been acting for like 2 years, and no one is calling him the next De Niro. He's a charismatic guy, I've got no beef with him headlining summer blockbusters.

Well sometimes I get a different impression, people comparing him to Schwarzenegger etc.

Uh, no.

Well sometimes I get a different impression, people comparing him to Schwarzenegger etc.

Schwarzenegger is a great actor? News to me.

Gods and Kings is going to happen sooner or later. Robocalypse is about to happen.

And there's still the Harvey script waiting to be produced some day. Indy 5 is, as far

as I can tell, a dead project.

Spielberg needs to leave the Harvey project alone, it's unnecessary. Not sure a moses project is a good idea either.

who would play moses, Russell Crowe, good lord that would be awful, moses with a huge growth on his forehead and a bully

Daniel Day Lewis, what would he do convert to Judaism to interpret the character?

Tom Hanks, yes I can see that Moses in Drag

Tom Cruise, Moses running.