Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 1 by Alexandre Desplat

Josh500

Moderators note: This thread originally contained a poll asking if you would be purchasing the OST, and/or purchasing the Deluxe Edition OST. The poll was accidentally deleted.

Yeah, you saw it coming!

For me, so far, NO on both counts. I might go see the movie in theaters, and if I am VERY impressed, I will buy it. (I don't think I will be, though.)

http://www.amazon.co...87648804&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co...87648860&sr=1-2

I suppose that'll depend mostly on whether the music is good or not? :lol:

Well, that's the real underlying question here, I guess.

At this point, from what we know of the score (which is precious little), will you get it or not? Or, differently put, do you think it will be good enough for you to buy it or not?

For example, I know I will get the Tintin and War Horse scores by John Williams NO MATTER WHAT.

I have absolutely no idea. :lol: I've barely heard any of Desplat's work, and although I'm sure I'll prefer Williams' contributions to the series, it's certainly possible that I'll like it enough to buy it.

We currently have THREE Harry Potter threads at the top of this page. Can't they all be merged into one big HP thread? Sounds like sense to me.

Edit: Actually, I just counted six different HP threads. Anywhere else and a mod would call that a bloody mess!

Does the super-deluxe-limited-collector's one have the full score? or just some other multimedia rubbish (and perhaps printable trading cards :lol:).

I'll buy the score in some form if I like it, although with Desplat there's less chance than with other composers.

We currently have THREE Harry Potter threads at the top of this page. Can't they all be merged into one big HP thread? Sounds like sense to me.

Edit: Actually, I just counted six different HP threads. Anywhere else and a mod would call that a bloody mess!

This one has a poll, so it has to be its own thread ;)

I think HP in general is a big enough topic to warrant multiple threads

I've been impressed with Desplat's output so far. I'll buy the score, but whether I want the limited edition set depends on if it's the complete score and whether I want every single note. If not, I'll settle for the regular CD release.

I have yet to be truly impressed with Desplat so I'll have to wait and hear it first. But if it's good and there's a complete/expanded score option, I'll grab that one.

I didn't even understand the second question until after I voted. I thought Josh meant the Blu/DVD or something, and wondered "That's already announced?!" and just hit "No."

But, I then looked at the link. Good lord!! I'm now tempted to get it.

Examining the Amazon photo, it comes with a letter of authenticity (10,000 of 10,000) and sheet music for the third track. Some kind of mini-poster/postcard thing; and a total of 4 discs. Three of the discs are stored together with the booklet. That could very well mean it's the complete/expanded score. I can't read what it says on the fourth disc, which is shown separately. Possibly a making of/interview type thing.

It's nice to see Deluxe Editions such as this released, but... 80 bucks? For 4 discs?? Did Warner decide that all soundtrack collectors are rich people that shell out every single penny they have in the pocket for luxury habits? First the Burton/Elfman box, now this... at least here we'll have a regular edition available, so there's really nothing to complain.

I'm aware record companies are losing too much money and they're trying to recoup costs in whatever way they can, but it seems that niche markets like soundtrack are more and more becoming the target for fancy expensive packages like this. It also looks like these are the last bullets to shoot before going the digital-only road.

I didn't even understand the second question until after I voted. I thought Josh meant the Blu/DVD or something, and wondered "That's already announced?!" and just hit "No."

But, I then looked at the link. Good lord!! I'm now tempted to get it.

Examining the Amazon photo, it comes with a letter of authenticity (10,000 of 10,000) and sheet music for the third track. Some kind of mini-poster/postcard thing; and a total of 4 discs. Three of the discs are stored together with the booklet. That could very well mean it's the complete/expanded score. I can't read what it says on the fourth disc, which is shown separately. Possibly a making of/interview type thing.

Guys, you know what?

The honchos at the record company are probably thinking: OK, if this 80 bucks monster set sells reasonably well, we'll have a 4-disc Complete Edition Set for EVERY Harry Potter score. Man, what I would not give to get my hands on the corresponding Complete Editions of the PS, CoS, and PoA scores...

It's nice to see Deluxe Editions such as this released, but... 80 bucks? For 4 discs??

Yes. But this is probably the list price.

By the time December rolls around, I am pretty sure, it will be around 60, 50, or even 40 bucks at amazon.com. ;)

Honestly, I don't think anyone can answer this until they have either heard clips of the music itself or seen the film. And if this somehow means some of you HAVE seen the film already, then I hate you, hate you, HATE YOU. ;)

Yea, way too soon to start a poll like this. If I hear the score and like it I'll buy it; if I don't like it I won't buy it ;)

*Sigh* Sometimes I wish I was interested in mainstream Pop music... I have the feeling that we soundtrack fans are constantly screwed - We either don't get the 'object of desire', i.e. the music we want (soundtrack albums often feature not even half the moments I really liked and remembered of the score), or we can have it (or some of it) in a huge box, with useful trading cards, immensely enjoyable books with dozens of (color!) photographs (but usually no text), some interview snippets on three DVDs, a poster, a certificate of authenticity etc. etc. etc for only $999.99! I'm so glad there's at least La La Land, Intrada etc.; otherwise I'd probably switch to opera or something :). As for the actual thread, yes, I'll definitely get the soundtrack, but it really has to be extremely good to justify the $80 for the limited edition (does anybody of you actually ever look at that complementary crap again? I'm still appalled at how much space my limited edition Jurassic Park DVD set and the HP 'ultimate edition' blu rays - which are far from ultimate - require on my bookshelf).

Well, the OS album will be released in less than a month so... :)

*Sigh* Sometimes I wish I was interested in mainstream Pop music...

I am! You can be interested in pop music and JW at the same time, you know?

Honestly, I don't think anyone can answer this until they have either heard clips of the music itself or seen the film. And if this somehow means some of you HAVE seen the film already, then I hate you, hate you, HATE YOU. ;)

I think no one has seen the film yet. Except maybe John Williams (if he is still considering doing Part II). ;)

Yea, way too soon to start a poll like this. If I hear the score and like it I'll buy it; if I don't like it I won't buy it :)

Not really, if John Williams, Bruce Broughton or Michael Giacchino were scoring the film I'd have that sucker on pre-order. ;)

Yea, way too soon to start a poll like this. If I hear the score and like it I'll buy it; if I don't like it I won't buy it ;)

Not really, if John Williams, Bruce Broughton or Michael Giacchino were scoring the film I'd have that sucker on pre-order. ;)

:)

I have all the OSTs but HBP, cause that one was total crap.

*Sigh* Sometimes I wish I was interested in mainstream Pop music...

I am! You can be interested in pop music and JW at the same time, you know?

Oh really? That's wonderful! Maybe I can now be interested in history besides paleontology; thought you can only have one hobby of a kind ;-). Anyway, even though I do occasionally listen to pop or classical music, I'm music-wise really almost exclusively into soundtracks, so I (and other people who are similarly minded) unfortunately have to live with what the business sends my way. That you and others can 'escape' to other genres unfortunately doesn't help me much.

I wonder who among us here has bought ALL 6 Harry Potter OS albums so far... and will get all 8 eventually.

I have all six OSTs, and will have all 8 come July 2011. I did enjoy some of Nick Hooper's score in HBP, and I'm a completist whore so... yeah, I do own HBP. :)

I'm amazed at all the vitrol Doyle still gets for his "Goblet" score. Granted it isn't Williams, but it was a nicely-orchestrated and enjoyable score. It's a bit too bombastic for the film it's in and doesn't feel like a Potter score (aside from the Hedwig's Theme quotes), but still you can tell Doyle put effort into it.

Before Desplat was announced as the composer for "Deathly Hallows 1", I was thinking how a Potter score from him would sound. I didn't think Desplat would actually do a Potter film because of his popularity and his workload. I was pleasantly surprised that he got the assignment.

And hey, a Desplat Potter score is automatically better than one by the RC committee, by default.

I wonder who among us here has bought ALL 6 Harry Potter OS albums so far... and will get all 8 eventually.

Like I said, I have only the first 3.

I have the first three.

I plan on acquiring the others soon enough.

I own all six, being a HP fan, and I like all of them for something even though the last three are clearly not in the same league. I agree that I find Doyle's a little too Bombastic, but i do enjoy the waltzes a lot. Out of Hooper's work I actually quite enjoy OotP and have a couple of Highlights in HBP; I think Hooper's best work in HBP is of a higher standard than his best in OotP, but unfortunately HBP is very inconsistent IMO

Can't wait to hear Desplat's work, as he is one of my favourite composers working in film today. Will be buying the Collector's i imagine...I'm a massive sucker for pretty packaging hehe

I own PS and POA. I will buy the OST of DH1, and will see what it's like before going on the box (depending if it's expanded).

You don't own CoS?

Granted, it's not PS or PoA, but it's still twice better than the other 3! ;)

I don't own any after POA because they suck.

I didn't want to be that blunt, but... hmmm, yeah! :)

Doyle's score is bland, generic and boring. He's capable of so much better, Henry V is one of my favorites.

I'd pull out the Luthor pic but I actually like you.