Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 1 by Alexandre Desplat

Josh500

Awesome! "Sky Battle" sounds Williams-esque! Very good indeed, and the rest is really great. Anybody spotted some other themes there?

"Destroying the Locket", "Ron Leaves", "Ron's Speech" and "Rescuing Hermione" appear to be a Ron/Trio theme. I think Desplat included a fragment of Hedwig's theme in "Destroying the Locket", but I'm not sure.

The new Dobby theme Desplat did seems inspired by Williams' original theme, if just by the meter and rhythm.

I dunno, I can't keep track of all these Potter threads and what's being discussed. :)

Yes, the number of harry Potter threads have gotten a bit confusing, with the same topic being discussed in different places, etc.

So I've tried to organize them. Here we go:

To talk about the upcoming FILMS THEMSELVES (Posters, trailers, commercials, early reviews, actual reviews by us once we see it, etc.), go here:

Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

To talk about Desplat's score to HP7 part 1, go here:

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 1 by Alexandre Desplat

To talk about who may or may not score HP7 part 2, go here:

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2?

This is GoodMusician's thread for his fan score to HP7 part 1:

Harry Potter: Deathly Hallows (Fan Score)

This is to discuss the Harry Potter theme park attraction only:

New details on Wizarding World of Harry Potter

And this is the thread to discuss Desplat's non-Potter scores

The Curious Case of Alexandre Desplat

And this to discuss the HP1 recording sessions leak

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's (Philosopher's) Stone

I'll be moving posts from the Potterdom thread about the HP7.1 score to this thread

It seems Desplat avoided any kind of reference to any musical material from the previous films and went for his peculiar voice to be fully heard. I like what I heard.

I don't know how you can tell that from 30second samples. Perhaps there are plenty of old themes returning that aren't in those samples, or in cues that didn't make the OST

It seems Desplat avoided any kind of reference to any musical material from the previous films and went for his peculiar voice to be fully heard. I like what I heard.

I don't know how you can tell that from 30second samples. Perhaps there are plenty of old themes returning that aren't in those samples, or in cues that didn't make the OST

Well, it's a first impression based on 30-sec samples of course. Take my comment for what it's worth.

Now that I think about it, maybe it was a good thing that Williams didn't score Part I. While I love this from Desplat, from Williams it would be... weird, I don't know.

Come on, announce who's doing Part II already!

So I'm guessing the first track entitled "obliviate" is more of a general traveling theme and not necessarily the first 3 minutes of score to the movie. Unless they've added flashbacks or some new sequence again.

The first track could be building towards Hedwigs theme or Hedwigs theme could kick off Snape to Malfoy Manor.

So I'm guessing the first track entitled "obliviate" is more of a general traveling theme and not necessarily the first 3 minutes of score to the movie. Unless they've added flashbacks or some new sequence again.

The first track could be building towards Hedwigs theme or Hedwigs theme could kick off Snape to Malfoy Manor.

I think it's the opening - in which Hermione uses "Obliviate" on her parents. :)

Doesn't there have to be an early scene to Film 7, Part I, where they provide a proper ending to Book 6, which was excised from Film 6?

NO

Six ended just fine.

I was referring to the point of placing both Dumbledore's body and wand into the tomb. Those are key plot points for Book 7.

But certainly Film 7 can just begin at a point and say, "While you were away, Dumbledore was buried and given a eulogy, gee, you just didn't see it."

Well, it's a first impression based on 30-sec samples of course. Take my comment for what it's worth.

In an interview, Desplat said he would use Williams' themes as much as he could because he loved them so much.

I was referring to the point of placing both Dumbledore's body and wand into the tomb. Those are key plot points for Book 7.

But certainly Film 7 can just begin at a point and say, "While you were away, Dumbledore was buried and given a eulogy, gee, you just didn't see it."

The movie audience knows Dumbledore died in Film 6. In Film 7, we will see him buried in a tomb just outside Hogwarts, with his wand. It's really not necessary at all to see the burial itself, the audience will be able to put two-and-two together.

Anyway, love what I'm hearing, so far. Seems that little ascending, 4-note motif at the beginning of the "Obliviate" sample is going to be the primary musical identity of the film, it keeps popping up in the other samples. I just hope Desplat has found ways to extend it, or has written a longer theme that we just aren't hearing. I feel like those 4 notes could get incredibly irritating after 2.5 hours...

This sounds surprisingly good! I remember that after listening to Cooper's samples the first time there was almost nothing that caught my interest, but here I wanted the tracks to continue more often than not. I expect some great highlights, like Sky battle, At the burrow, Bathilda Bagshot, Lovegood, and Deathly Hallows. I like the rich orchestration in particular. Btw, there seems to be a theme that recurs in the "Ministry of Magic" cues which is quite similar to Cooper's "possession" theme - just, well, better.

Still going through the samples, but WOW, you can hear some of Williams' Quidditch theme in Sky Battle!!! The little string-build-up-hum thing right before the main Quiddich theme would burst in. That made me grin so much!!

I now decided to order the limited edition, because I will actually listen to the music more than once. For everyone who's interested, the price at Amazon dropped to $64... and given that you are getting a lot more here than, for instance, with the "Dark Knight" limited edition, that should be okay as a Christmas present to myself ;)

I now decided to order the limited edition, because I will actually listen to the music more than once. For everyone who's interested, the price at Amazon dropped to $64... and given that you are getting a lot more here than, for instance, with the "Dark Knight" limited edition, that should be okay as a Christmas present to myself ;)

I'm trying to decide if I should get it, myself. On the one hand, I have a little over $150 in Amazon gift cards, which is clearly more than enough. But on the other hand, I'm sure in time, there will be a boxed set of all the soundtracks, which I'd also want (I only own SS, though I do have expanded versions of it, COS, and POA). And in time there would be other things I want, too, that the $60 could also go to instead. So it's a tough decision.

Also, the fact that the price has been dropping on Amazon is a bit alarming.

Why is that? There is the guarantee that you only pay the lowest price it reached before they shipped it after all...

They got rid of that guarantee a while ago

no they didnt, i think.

If you preorder something, and its price decreases, you get the new price.

If you have it only on wishlist, then the price can even go up.

They got rid of that guarantee a while ago

Well, if so, they started it again, because they let me know it's there before I checked out...

Yea, I think I got confused

What I was thinking about was, in the past, if an item's price decreased within like 60 days after you bought it to a price lower than what you paid, you can contact them and get a price adjustment

I think that is what they have stopped doing now

Or, as they put it on their page for the item:

Pre-order Price Guarantee! Order now and if the Amazon.com price decreases between your order time and the end of the day of the release date, you'll receive the lowest price. Here's how (restrictions apply)

;-)

Why is that?

Because I see it as meaning the fish aren't biting and this set isn't popular enough to warrant getting, and thus not being acknowledged as a respected collectible in the future. Plus, my dad's advice is to not get anything Potter at the moment, as WB is trying to get people to buy Potter things at the highest possible price for the hype of Part 1, and that I should "not play their game". Which I guess is understandable. If 10,000 people don't buy these after Part 1's release, who knows how much they'll go for?

Why is that?

Because I see it as meaning the fish aren't biting and this set isn't popular enough to warrant getting, and thus not being acknowledged as a respected collectible in the future. Plus, my dad's advice is to not get anything Potter at the moment, as WB is trying to get people to buy Potter things at the highest possible price for the hype of Part 1, and that I should "not play their game". Which I guess is understandable. If 10,000 people don't buy these after Part 1's release, who knows how much they'll go for?

Well, that's the risk. But I never gamble concerning an item gaining value due to its limited status... I am only interested in extra content (that's why I wouldn't normally buy a limited set that is the same product as the unlimited version, just in "nicer" packaging). Sure, you may be able to make a better deal later... I just don't want to wait.

A track-by-track brief analysis of the DH samples

I've pasted below my thoughts on the tracks that were released today and the link to the original Facebook note is above.

Overall, I'm optimistic about this soundtrack although I have some legitimate worries. This soundtrack will not tie in to or sound like any of the previous 6, although I wish it could have. HOPEFULLY, if JW does the final installment, we'll have a great sense of nostalgia and wholeness as the series comes to an end.

Below are my initial thoughts on the samples that came out today. Keep in mind that I have only heard 30 seconds of each track, so my impressions may not be permanent. This just makes me even MORE excited for the movie to come out!

Enjoy!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00494M52O/

1. Obliviate- Classic traveling music: a repeated, minor string ostinato moving with purpose below a soaring, rather foreboding french horn line

2. Snape to Malfoy Manor- think original Batman opening score from Elfman. This is sure to be a frightening scene in the movie and this music fits. We hear a brass sforzando crescendo in a minor chord and then strings rumbling along with and a haunting melody soaring over it all in the violins and choir.

3. Polyjuice Potion- a cantabile, kind of lonely sounding clarinet solo over some light strings for a scene where Harry has said goodbye to the Dursleys for the last time and is heading out into the world where danger is waiting for him every step of the way

4. Sky Battle- Oh, hey John Williams! Here we go! A scary cluster of low brass and string instruments that immediately rise with a harp gliss to what is close to a classic JW battle scene. We hear some big, 'Mars-esque" wind/percussion hits with high trumpet notes, FAST woodwind/string runs and flourishes, HIGH trilling piccolos, muted trumpets playing random 16th triplets, crescendoing low brass.

5. At The Burrow- A modulatory and rather emotional sounding part. Lush strings and interesting pivot chords just when we think we're going to get a V-I.

6. Harry and Ginny- Beautiful, simple, solo piano in D minor (the saddest of all keys). A sad but beautiful accompaniment for what surely is a love scene. The sample is SO close to sounding like a loose form of melody inversion and retrograde with Hedwig's Theme. But, if that's what Desplat was going for, he failed. I hope there's a better, more obvious variation somewhere else on the soundtrack on the theme that made these movies so great.

7. The Will- Basically one minor chord on synthesizer and strings for 30 seconds...

8. Death Eaters- We're back in D minor. A scary violin smear (gliss? slide? what's it called on a violin?) from the unexpected major 3rd down back to the minor third. Pedal tone D in the low basses and halfway through a high violin D pedal joins the low while. I like this one.

9. Dobby- a mischievous, playful, quick 3/4 complete with steel drums, strings, acoustic guitar minor 2nd grace notes...I guess this is before Dobby is dead, although I don't recall any happy memories of Dobby in the 7th book because his 1st appearance comes jarringly close to his death.

10. Ministry of Magic- A great reflection of how the government has been overthrown but is still in power; scary. Timpani. Bassoon run, very machine-sounding clicking along alla marcia. Think Isengard from LOTR, just in 4/4 instead of 5/4. I like this.

11. Detonators- This must be referring to the trio trying to do everything at the MoM...definitely an action scene. Small but fitting bass clarinet feature, very Danny Elfman, a bright tempo, still in a minor key of course. In fact, everything has been in a minor key so far. Some John Williams strings at the end of this sample.

12. The Locket- Sounds Schindler's Listy. Very sad. Very foreboding strings. Perhaps remembering Sirius? I'm not sure why this needs to be so sad. Maybe this is AFTER they've left the MoM, and someone has been carrying the locket for a while. Nope, Fireplaces Escape is after this one...I don't have an answer to why this is on here.

13. Fireplaces Escape- Another sad sounding, pretty legato string section. Not sure why.

14. Ron Leaves- An appropriately sad, heartwarming bit. Soaring french horn, lush strings. We all remember Hermione doing a lot of crying, and Harry doing a lot of soul-searching during the time when Ron was gone in the book. This track has potential.

15. The Exodus- I'm not sure what anyone is Exodusing from at this point in the plot but it sounds kind of on-the-edge-of-your seat. You can feel the theme of time tick-tocking in this mysterious underscoring. I might go as far to say that this might be the heart of Voldemort's soul in the locket beating away but I think that's reading too much into 30 seconds of steady quarter notes.

16. Godric's Hollow Graveyard- Very, very, similar to 'Ron Leaves'. WHY OH WHY COULDN'T HE HAVE BROUGHT IN THE "FAMILY PORTRAIT" THEME OR EVEN THE "HARRY'S WONDROUS WORLD" THEME FOR THIS SCENE?!!?!!?!? Either of those (with some variation and color changes) would have been PERFECT for this scene.

17. Bathilda Bagshot- creepy flute, suspenseful sustained chords. Sounds great for what is sure to be a very creepy scene.

18. Hermione's Parents- This clip makes me feel like we are mourning the death of Hermione's parents. I don't like this, because they don't die. I also would frown upon David Yates adding ANY additional acting scenes for Emma Watson...especially one that has emotions involved. We shouldn't be crying over the fact that Hermione's parents are safe and on vacation in Australia until the Wizarding War is over.

19. Destroying the Locket- This has a sound of hopeful excitement mixed with anticipation; all with an ethereal melody over top. Perhaps the fast, alternating minor 3rd string parts are the horcrux's heart beating faster...

20. Ron's Speech- Some kind of reprise of 'Ron Leaves' I'm sure. He's back now and ready to reconcile with H&H!

21. Lovegood- An appropriately fanciful Danny Elfman track. Hopefully there are some more interesting colors and timbres to this track since the music is representing Xenophilius Lovegood, I'm sure.

22. The Deathly Hallows- TITLE OF THE MOVIE! I don't know what to make of this one...the clip isn't long enough, really.

23. Captured and Tortured- Appropriately suspenseful and frightening music. Lots of fast rhythms, minor 2nd trills, and some loud drum accents.

24. Rescuing Hermione- A whirlwind of music with some brass punches, and sneaky string tremolos. Good.

25. Farewell to Dobby- A beautiful lush clip with some sorrowful sounds. I hope it makes me cry in context!

26. The Elder Wand- a great ending for the 1st installment of the 7th film. Very foreboding. I can picture Voldemort opening Dumbledore's tomb and stealing the wand and Harry's scar burning.

Why is that?

Well, that's the risk. But I never gamble concerning an item gaining value due to its limited status... I am only interested in extra content (that's why I wouldn't normally buy a limited set that is the same product as the unlimited version, just in "nicer" packaging). Sure, you may be able to make a better deal later... I just don't want to wait.

Yeah, its HP and it's limited. I wouldn't mess around with waiting. Naturally merchandise will come down after a film's release but you don't know what items it will be.

The same thing happened with the LOTR complete recordings, Most places started with a list price and then set it lower. Perhaps brisk pre-sales have warranted a price reduction.

Overall, I'm optimistic about this soundtrack although I have some legitimate worries. This soundtrack will not tie in to or sound like any of the previous 6, although I wish it could have. HOPEFULLY, if JW does the final installment, we'll have a great sense of nostalgia and wholeness as the series comes to an end.

Below are my initial thoughts on the samples that came out today. Keep in mind that I have only heard 30 seconds of each track, so my impressions may not be permanent. This just makes me even MORE excited for the movie to come out!

1. Obliviate- Classic traveling music: a repeated, minor string ostinato moving with purpose below a soaring, rather foreboding french horn line

2. Snape to Malfoy Manor- think original Batman opening score from Elfman. This is sure to be a frightening scene in the movie and this music fits. We hear a brass sforzando crescendo in a minor chord and then strings rumbling along with and a haunting melody soaring over it all in the violins and choir.

3. Polyjuice Potion- a cantabile, kind of lonely sounding clarinet solo over some light strings for a scene where Harry has said goodbye to the Dursleys for the last time and is heading out into the world where danger is waiting for him every step of the way

4. Sky Battle- Oh, hey John Williams! Here we go! A scary cluster of low brass and string instruments that immediately rise with a harp gliss to what is close to a classic JW battle scene. We hear some big, 'Mars-esque" wind/percussion hits with high trumpet notes, FAST woodwind/string runs and flourishes, HIGH trilling piccolos, muted trumpets playing random 16th triplets, crescendoing low brass.

5. At The Burrow- A modulatory and rather emotional sounding part. Lush strings and interesting pivot chords just when we think we're going to get a V-I.

6. Harry and Ginny- Beautiful, simple, solo piano in D minor (the saddest of all keys). A sad but beautiful accompaniment for what surely is a love scene. The sample is SO close to sounding like a loose form of melody inversion and retrograde with Hedwig's Theme. But, if that's what Desplat was going for, he failed. I hope there's a better, more obvious variation somewhere else on the soundtrack on the theme that made these movies so great.

7. The Will- Basically one minor chord on synthesizer and strings for 30 seconds...

8. Death Eaters- We're back in D minor. A scary violin smear (gliss? slide? what's it called on a violin?) from the unexpected major 3rd down back to the minor third. Pedal tone D in the low basses and halfway through a high violin D pedal joins the low while. I like this one.

9. Dobby- a mischievous, playful, quick 3/4 complete with steel drums, strings, acoustic guitar minor 2nd grace notes...I guess this is before Dobby is dead, although I don't recall any happy memories of Dobby in the 7th book because his 1st appearance comes jarringly close to his death.

10. Ministry of Magic- A great reflection of how the government has been overthrown but is still in power; scary. Timpani. Bassoon run, very machine-sounding clicking along alla marcia. Think Isengard from LOTR, just in 4/4 instead of 5/4. I like this.

11. Detonators- This must be referring to the trio trying to do everything at the MoM...definitely an action scene. Small but fitting bass clarinet feature, very Danny Elfman, a bright tempo, still in a minor key of course. In fact, everything has been in a minor key so far. Some John Williams strings at the end of this sample.

12. The Locket- Sounds Schindler's Listy. Very sad. Very foreboding strings. Perhaps remembering Sirius? I'm not sure why this needs to be so sad. Maybe this is AFTER they've left the MoM, and someone has been carrying the locket for a while. Nope, Fireplaces Escape is after this one...I don't have an answer to why this is on here.

13. Fireplaces Escape- Another sad sounding, pretty legato string section. Not sure why.

14. Ron Leaves- An appropriately sad, heartwarming bit. Soaring french horn, lush strings. We all remember Hermione doing a lot of crying, and Harry doing a lot of soul-searching during the time when Ron was gone in the book. This track has potential.

15. The Exodus- I'm not sure what anyone is Exodusing from at this point in the plot but it sounds kind of on-the-edge-of-your seat. You can feel the theme of time tick-tocking in this mysterious underscoring. I might go as far to say that this might be the heart of Voldemort's soul in the locket beating away but I think that's reading too much into 30 seconds of steady quarter notes.

16. Godric's Hollow Graveyard- Very, very, similar to 'Ron Leaves'. WHY OH WHY COULDN'T HE HAVE BROUGHT IN THE "FAMILY PORTRAIT" THEME OR EVEN THE "HARRY'S WONDROUS WORLD" THEME FOR THIS SCENE?!!?!!?!? Either of those (with some variation and color changes) would have been PERFECT for this scene.

17. Bathilda Bagshot- creepy flute, suspenseful sustained chords. Sounds great for what is sure to be a very creepy scene.

18. Hermione's Parents- This clip makes me feel like we are mourning the death of Hermione's parents. I don't like this, because they don't die. I also would frown upon David Yates adding ANY additional acting scenes for Emma Watson...especially one that has emotions involved. We shouldn't be crying over the fact that Hermione's parents are safe and on vacation in Australia until the Wizarding War is over.

19. Destroying the Locket- This has a sound of hopeful excitement mixed with anticipation; all with an ethereal melody over top. Perhaps the fast, alternating minor 3rd string parts are the horcrux's heart beating faster...

20. Ron's Speech- Some kind of reprise of 'Ron Leaves' I'm sure. He's back now and ready to reconcile with H&H!

21. Lovegood- An appropriately fanciful Danny Elfman track. Hopefully there are some more interesting colors and timbres to this track since the music is representing Xenophilius Lovegood, I'm sure.

22. The Deathly Hallows- TITLE OF THE MOVIE! I don't know what to make of this one...the clip isn't long enough, really.

23. Captured and Tortured- Appropriately suspenseful and frightening music. Lots of fast rhythms, minor 2nd trills, and some loud drum accents.

24. Rescuing Hermione- A whirlwind of music with some brass punches, and sneaky string tremolos. Good.

25. Farewell to Dobby- A beautiful lush clip with some sorrowful sounds. I hope it makes me cry in context!

26. The Elder Wand- a great ending for the 1st installment of the 7th film. Very foreboding. I can picture Voldemort opening Dumbledore's tomb and stealing the wand and Harry's scar burning.

I do like those samples. This thing's got some potential!

I really like Harry & Ginny. He's turned what might be a simple piano theme into something else just using single-note counterpoints. Or something like that...

So I'm not the only one who thought the first one or two tracks sounded like At World's End?

That's not a bad thing. It's a 30 second sound clip. I can surely wait 17 days or so to hear the whole thing, and then the bashing will begin.

I was just going to say, I started listening and it was like the stereotypical sound of Zimmer. I guess they really did temp it with his crap. You know the two note theme will be in there somewhere.

Yea, I think I got confused

What I was thinking about was, in the past, if an item's price decreased within like 60 days after you bought it to a price lower than what you paid, you can contact them and get a price adjustment

I think that is what they have stopped doing now

Yes. Like you said, they stopped that a looong time ago. Amazon is renowned for it's pre-order price guarantee.

I'm not impressed

The only sample where I thought there was something interesting going on was "Destroying the Locket"

The rest sounds blander than Hooper's scores

I just listened to a few of the samples. (I like to be mostly taken by surprise when I see the film for the first time.) What I heard was pretty good...more like a "real" film score than Hooper's contributions, and less...well, less of whatever intangible quality makes Doyle's GOF aggravating to sit through. I'm not sold on the score yet, though. I'll need to see the film and then take a listen to more material at home before I know whether it'll be something worth buying. I'm guessing I won't buy it, but who knows.

I can't tell anything. Desplast said that he would reference JW moreso than the others, but none of that is to be heard.