Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 1 by Alexandre Desplat

Josh500

Damn you're right

Includes instant full album digital download. Download instructions will be delivered on 11/16/10 via email.

Box Set includes;

• Soundtrack CD with 26 Tracks From the Film.
  • Bonus CD with 6 Extra Tracks of Unreleased Music From The Film.
  • 7" Vinyl Picture Disc.
  • Exclusive Unreleased Poster.
  • Original 35mm Film Cells + Frame with Easel Autographed Sheet Music.
  • DVD with 5.1 Audio + Documentary Video
  • Interview Numbered Certificate Of Authenticity.

The score was composed by Alexandre Desplat (The Twilight Saga: New Moon, The Queen, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button).

1. The Oblivation

2. Snape to Malfoy Manor

3. Poly Juice Potion

4. Sky Battle

5. At the Burrows

6. Harry and Ginny

7. The Will

8. Death Eaters

9. Dobby

10. Ministry of Magic

11. Detonators

12. The Locket

13. Fireplaces Escape

14. Ron Leaves

15. The Exodus

16. Godric's Hollow Graveyard

17. Bathilda Bagshot

18. Hermione's Parents

19. Destroying the Locket

20. Ron's Speech

21. Lovegood

22. The Deathly Hallows

23. Captured and Tortured

24. Rescuing Hermione

25. Farewell to Dobby

26. The Elder Wand

Bonus Disc

1. Voldemort

2. Grimmauld Place

3. The Dumbledores

4. The Tale Of The Three Brothers

5. Bellatrix

6. My Love Is Always Here

Order by 12/10/10 to receive the box in time for the holidays!

This is what happens when the major Labels release CDs.

A lot of fluff and fancy boxes for too much.

Maybe those tracks are long. ;)

Bonus Disc

1. Voldemort (15:36)

2. Grimmauld Place (08:44)

3. The Dumbledores (06:12)

4. The Tale Of The Three Brothers (12:02)

5. Bellatrix (04:52)

6. My Love Is Always Here (09:59)

;)

Of course, in this case the composers' initials would be JH, not AD.

Bonus Disc

1. Voldemort (15:36)

2. Grimmauld Place (08:44)

3. The Dumbledores (06:12)

4. The Tale Of The Three Brothers (12:02)

5. Bellatrix (04:52)

6. My Love Is Always Here (09:59)

;)

Of course, in this case the composers' initials would be JH, not AD.

is that correct track times ...because that would be 57 minutes of extra music

We'd kill to have that much to have that much from one of the SW Prequels or Indy 4 , and any of the Williams Potter scores would have been complete with that much extra music

We'd kill to have that much to have that much from one of the SW Prequels, and any of the Williams Potter scores would have been complete with that much extra music

You are a possessed man, you know...

So they make the effort to have a bonus CD and then offer 6 tracks??? Even the shrieking trash composed for 'The Dark Knight' got an almost complete release in the limited edition, and here, where it may actually be worth it, 6 tracks. Plus the remaining soundtrack in no less than 4 formats, plus fluffy gift wrap. I have to very carefully think about if I want to keep this order up, or whether the money is better invested into the Alien Blu Ray set. I wish they'd decided not to include any extra music (a no brainer, then - wouldn't even think about ordering it), but six tracks is just teasing enough to make the whole thing offensive!

Oh, btw, what does "easel autographed" mean (non-native English speaker here...)?

Bonus CD with 6 Extra Tracks of Unreleased Music From The Film.

It's not 'unreleased' if you're releasing it. :) Silly WB.

And before everyone jumps on the bandwagon, isn't it possible that those extra tracks make the full score or close to it?

The set comes with 2 frames from the 35mm print of the film, which can be propped up and displayed on an easel. The autograph is referring to the sheet music included, signed by Desplat.

Thanks. So I mixed up the descriptions because Warner set them in a weird order. I'm still wondering whether Desplat cancels all work for the next week in order to sign 10,000 sheets of paper :)

Bonus CD with 6 Extra Tracks of Unreleased Music From The Film.

It's not 'unreleased' if you're releasing it. :) Silly WB.

And before everyone jumps on the bandwagon, isn't it possible that those extra tracks make the full score or close to it?

I thought about that, but with the film being 147 minutes long, and the OST being 75 minutes... even if these 6 tracks bring the total running time to, say, 100 minutes, its doubtful that 45 minutes of the movie are unscored

And now a hearty SHUT UP EVERYONE to all those judging this score by those bloody 30sec samples. It's inane and i can make a long list of good Williams scores which sound absolutely unspectacular when compressed into those samples. So...

Finally, the voice of reason! I laughed out loud after reading the post where someone actually assumes he knows what Desplat meant to do in his score from hearing these 30 second samples. Unless he interviewed the composer, that's a lot of audacity IMO.

Very nice! Some curious things...

- No mention of Williams themes. In a past interview Desplat had said he wanted to use Hedwig's Theme a lot more.

- Heyman says Desplat was their first choice. Could this mean they never asked Williams to do Part I or something in that direction?

- Heyman says Desplat was their first choice. Could this mean they never asked Williams to do Part I or something in that direction?

When asked if John Williams would return to compose the music for Deathly Hallows, Heyman ONLY talked about Part II, so I think they knew he only would be able to do part II.

Very nice! Some curious things...

- No mention of Williams themes. In a past interview Desplat had said he wanted to use Hedwig's Theme a lot more.

Don't act like it's some kind of conspiracy. The focus on the featurette wasn't on whether Desplat used Hedwig's Theme or not, they were gushing about how flexible and talented he was.

You think so? I dunno, I think its use pretty appropriately. Maybe a bit overused in the opening scenes.... though, the opening scenes also inappropriately use the Flying Theme (aka Nimbus 2000) so I dunno what was going on there

Yeah, it was only overused in the first half hour or so of the film. Wouldn't have been a problem if it wasn't the exact same arrangement every time.

Also, I'd disagree in saying that the Nimbus 2000 theme was inappropriately used. If you're thinking in terms of strict thematic relevance, then maybe, but the music itself perfectly fit the scenes.

Well I haven't seen the film since it's original release but it seemed like every time there was a break between scenes and we got a shot of Hogwarts it would always be playing.

Yeah, but that's only about three or four times in the span of two hours, so it's not so bad.I just finished watching the first film in fact, and by gosh I loved it. I think listening to the complete score has really changed my perception of it. Or maybe just nostalgia. Or all the wine I drank while watching it...

It seemed like more.

Of course I remember my sister joking with me in 1997 when we to see Star Wars, she didn't remember all the musical lead ins whenever the Death Star appeared on screen from previous viewings.

Ba, Ba Ba Ba!

Yes, I meant thematically its wrong to use the Flying Theme for the snake and the next scene. It doesn't reappear in the film again until its actually used as a Flying theme, for the rest of the picture. Then of course it got mis-used again in COS for the Cakes for Crab and Goyle scene

There's the first viewing of Hogwarts, complete with choir and orchestral ecstasy; the same music tracked into the Halloween feast scene and then one more statement near the end of the film as the trio prepare to go down the trapdoor. The other establishing shots are scored with the family/friendship themes, Christmas music etc.

Then of course it got mis-used again in COS for the Cakes for Crab and Goyle scene

I love that part.

As far as John Williams is concerned, thematic continuity died about the same time as Ben Kenobi. :devil:

Yea, all those instances of Nimbus 2000 being mis-used SOUND great, for sure. And if you think of Nimbus 2000 as more of a "fun adventure" theme, I guess it kinda fits

You think so? I dunno, I think its use pretty appropriately. Maybe a bit overused in the opening scenes.... though, the opening scenes also inappropriately use the Flying Theme (aka Nimbus 2000) so I dunno what was going on there

Yes, you are right! "Hedwig's Theme" was not overused in the first film.

It only seems that way now, because we've heard it so often.

When the first film was released back in 2001, it was all new, so it had to be played frequently in order to become as iconic as it is now...

As far as John Williams is concerned, thematic continuity died about the same time as Ben Kenobi. :devil:

Well .....not really :P

I think people need to step back a little and stop viewing this moment and the use of the music in question in such a superficially, emotional capacity.

For me, it's one of Williams' most inspired uses of leitmotivic/thematic continuity.

....but this thread isn't about that, it's just painful though to keep reading the same old tired and redundant cliché and how it's consistently misinterpreted.

The second half of which sounds like generic everything else John Williams music.

No it does not. KM and I are in complete agreement here. This isn't Hook redux in play. This is the last JW masterpiece for me.

Yeah, it was only overused in the first half hour or so of the film. Wouldn't have been a problem if it wasn't the exact same arrangement every time.

Yep. I love this score, and I love Hedwig's theme, but it really does get overused. In the complete score, you hear the exact same arrangement of the theme five times in the first six cues, and then it happens again as the Hogwarts Express is on its way to Hogwarts. And again when Harry gets his broom. I clearly remember seeing the film for the first time and noticing how often it cropped up.

Also, I'd disagree in saying that the Nimbus 2000 theme was inappropriately used. If you're thinking in terms of strict thematic relevance, then maybe, but the music itself perfectly fit the scenes.

Agreed here, too. HP:SS is one of those scores where you really can't get too attached to any leitmotivic definitions. Each theme has definite emotional content, and most of them are tied loosely to a certain character or concept, but that's about it. Hedwig's theme and the flying theme (or Nimbus 2000 theme or whatever you want to call it) are both just general-purpose movie-wide themes, as far as I'm concerned, and Williams just used whichever one was more emotionally appropriate to a given scene. (Hedwig's theme usually has more to do with the mystery and excitement of becoming a wizard, whereas the flying theme has more to do with mischief and action.) Similarly, he picked between Voldemort's two themes (and even the stone theme) based on which one sounded best for each moment. Even the Hogwarts theme isn't always for Hogwarts as a whole - during the Quidditch match, it seems to represent Gryffindor and not Slytherin. Then you've got Harry's theme and the family theme, both of which get used rather loosely, too.

None of this is really a bad thing, I think. Williams was consistent in this approach to HP:SS. When you firmly establish a leitmotivic association and then break it, that can be kinda weird, but if the whole film is just scored predominantly with whatever music sounds best, I'm fine with that.

And yes, although this score has deep roots in other Williams works, it nevertheless stands on its own as a really wonderful work, and it was the last time Williams crafted a theme that really became part of public consciousness.

Well there's your problem - you called it the Hogwarts Theme. However, it was ALWAYS the Gryffindor Theme. It plays when Ron and Harrry get sorted into Gryffindor, when the Gryffindors walk to their dorms, when Gryffindor scores during Quidditch, when Gryffindors are on the moving staircases, etc. The concert arrangement happens to be called "Hogwarts Forever", but its clearly a theme for Gryffindor