Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 1 by Alexandre Desplat

Josh500

But it was also written for the scene when Hagrid first describes Hogwarts to Harry (and doesn't mention Gryffindor) and for the establishing shot of Hogwarts at the end of "Lonely First Night." And Williams himself entitled the piece "Hogwarts Forever", not "Gryffindor Forever." Obviously, it functions mostly as a theme for Gryffindor, but only mostly. And that was all I was trying to say - that Williams was pretty loose with his interpretation of the themes in this score, and that's okay.

The second half of which sounds like generic everything else John Williams music.

No it does not. KM and I are in complete agreement here. This isn't Hook redux in play. This is the last JW masterpiece for me.

Good for both of you, Joey!

I prefer the theme in Harry's Wondrous World to be honest. I think Hedwig's Theme is flashy but Harry's theme has more heart.

A cotton candy heart. Doused in honey and served on a plate of frosting, whilst delivering an IV of 100% glucose, and then smothering the listener in powdered sugar and throwing him at a picnic table...with a colony of ants arriving.

The situation becomes irritating for the listener rather quickly.

But it was also written for the scene when Hagrid first describes Hogwarts to Harry (and doesn't mention Gryffindor) and for the establishing shot of Hogwarts at the end of "Lonely First Night." And Williams himself entitled the piece "Hogwarts Forever", not "Gryffindor Forever." Obviously, it functions mostly as a theme for Gryffindor, but only mostly. And that was all I was trying to say - that Williams was pretty loose with his interpretation of the themes in this score, and that's okay.

Damn. Pwned by Datameister once again :lol:

Damn. Pwned by Datameister once again :lol:

I'm good at that. ;)

Agreed on this, and I think it's also important to consider that Harry and all of his friends are Gryffindors, so obviously everything we see onscreen that is related to Hogwarts, 9 times out of 10, it's going to be through the eyes of a Gryffindor student. That doesn't mean that the theme is actually about them, it's about Hogwarts as a whole.

Ultimately, I think the labels on the OST or in the children's suite are entirely irrelevant. If they fit, great, but if not, they're just titles. We should really just pay attention to how Williams establishes these themes in the film itself. "Hedwig's Theme", for instance, appears several times in the opening minutes of the film, long before we're even introduced to Hedwig, which indicates that in the film, at least, it's less about the bird and more about the picture as a whole. Likewise, "Nimbus 2000" first appears in playful variations during the zoo scene, and then again when Harry learns to fly. These two scenes don't really have much in common, which indicates that it is not really attached to anything specific and is, as was said earlier, more of a flexible and interchangeable mischief/action theme.

Conversely, in the 2nd film, "Fawkes the Phoenix" appears a number of times and is consistently attached to appearances of that character, which means that it would have been jarring to hear it used when Hagrid returns. And "A Window to the Past" appears repeatedly in the 3rd film, and is consistently associated with very distinct, emotional moments, usually of nostalgia or longing. So, obviously, a playful pizzicato version during the Malfoy snowball fight would have been inappropriate.

Agreed on this, and I think it's also important to consider that Harry and all of his friends are Gryffindors, so obviously everything we see onscreen that is related to Hogwarts, 9 times out of 10, it's going to be through the eyes of a Gryffindor student. That doesn't mean that the theme is actually about them, it's about Hogwarts as a whole.

Ah, but then, it wouldn't play when Gryffindor scores during Quidditch.... or it would play when both Gryffindor AND Slytherin scores :lol:

Don't forget it also plays very specifically exactly when Ron and Harry get sorted into Gryffindor. Though, interestingly enough, it doesn't play when Hermione gets sorted.

Ah, but then, it wouldn't play when Gryffindor scores during Quidditch.... or it would play when both Gryffindor AND Slytherin scores :lol:

Don't forget it also plays very specifically exactly when Ron and Harry get sorted into Gryffindor. Though, interestingly enough, it doesn't play when Hermione gets sorted.

Point taken. Then I guess it would be a joint Hogwarts/Gryffindor theme since the two are so closely intertwined in the film anyway. Or maybe a general majesty/victory theme. Or maybe Williams just doesn't understand the concept of leitmotif ;)

In the end, it's just a feel thing. We can analyze it and try to pinpoint specific reasons for why certain themes are placed in certain sections all we want, but if it feels right, it feels right.

Hedwig's theme was overused in the first film.

Yes.

Anyway here are some early comments about the score from Clemmensen. He's not a Desplat enthusiast so keep that in mind.

Karol

He's also Clemmenson, which already makes the score seem better.

There's also the amazing chance that, maybe, possibly, the score itself has more of Williams than the album and that maybe Desplat wanted to show off his music.

Sigh. Well, that's disappointing and not unexpected.

Plus the bit about the director offering Part II to Desplat... also disappointing but not unexpected.

Just hope the scores are at least good in their own right, musically speaking.

There's also the amazing chance that, maybe, possibly, the score itself has more of Williams than the album and that maybe Desplat wanted to show off his music.

You took the words right out of my mouth. The OSTs aren't always a good representation of the score used in the film -- I remember some people on other film score forums complaining about alternate cues used for the Drag Me to Hell OST release instead of tracks used in the film.

Clemmenson should be grateful that the score is much better than the previous two films.

I just wish that these sequel composers wouldn't act like dogs pissing on a fire hydrant.

What an asshole

Clearly you don't understand Chris' point. But I am not surprised.

Sure I don't, Joey.

I'm glad you're able to admit you have shortcomings.

Look in the mirror when you call someone names. :wink:

Why is everything on "the previous" page beneath Matt C's post #315 in italics?

*Cue the dramatic French music*

Majel Barrett: Dramatic French music has been deleted from iPod.

Damnit!

The problem with Desplat is that so far I have never liked any French composer.

He's French??? *deletes from iPod" Get the hell off there.

:lol:

Why is everything on "the previous" page beneath Matt C's post #315 in italics?

I don't know... it's not on my computer... :huh:

There's a reason why the new Harry Potter amusement park uses Williams' themes in its ads and internal features, folks! Desplat, like Doyle and Hooper before him, has attempted in vain to reinvent the wheel, and they'll never succeed.

I agree with this very much. I don't really think Hooper tried that, though. Hooper seemed to reference Hedwig's theme a lot, I felt, in HBP, just from my one viewing.

It doesnt f***ing matter how good the score is, if Desplat made the SAME MISTAKE LIKE DOYLE AND HOOPER AGAIN BY LARGELY IGNORING THE FRANCHISE MAIN THEMES i completely support Clemmensen in his following statement: "I just wish that these sequel composers wouldn't act like dogs pissing on a fire hydrant."

I fear that Desplat could be a completely arrogant lier. He said in the interview that he wants to use Hedwig's theme more, that he loves it and will take every opportunity to use it.

Of course i reserve final judgement until i see the whole movie with all the unreleased music. Maybe the Williams material is there and he only wanted to showcase his material on the OST album. But after this review i dont have much hope. If even a so called Williams lover completely shits on all the established thematic material of SIX MOVIES i will not even call him a worthy composer anymore, that would be the peak of dumbness, arrogance and egoistic behaviour.

I fear that Desplat could be a completely arrogant lier. He said in the interview that he wants to use Hedwig's theme more, that he loves it and will take every opportunity to use it.

That's what I can't take out of my head when listening to the clips.

i freaking cant believe that litul frentch basturd droped hedweegs theme again!111

wtf!? this is like harry potter hedweegs theme shud be palying all the time

Not really, but it is a film series that intends to have a plot continuity, so I'd prefer there be some semblance of musical continuity as well. :huh:

u no wut? im going to go to the f******cking theeter and f**************cking bring my f*******************************cking iPod tbat i got (its silver btw, reely reafined looking) and just loop hedweegs theme through the mother f*************************************************************cking move movie.

edit: sory i reuhlized i misspeeled movie.

i f****************************************************************************************************************************************cking kid u nut bro! this is just unfatherrmarbleeable (sp?)!

To be honest, though, that ship sailed a long time ago. Even a "Deathly Hallows" score by John Williams himself would probably end up resulting in little more than a novelty, as far as musical continuity is concerned.

Yeah on the soundtrack, but in the movie it plays more often. I would be perfectly happy if Desplat used it that much and spread out so well. I hope thats the case. If not shame on him

It doesnt f***ing matter how good the score is, if Desplat made the SAME MISTAKE LIKE DOYLE AND HOOPER AGAIN BY LARGELY IGNORING THE FRANCHISE MAIN THEMES i completely support Clemmensen in his following statement: "I just wish that these sequel composers wouldn't act like dogs pissing on a fire hydrant."

Of course i reserve final judgement until i see the whole movie with all the unreleased music. Maybe the Williams material is there and he only wanted to showcase his material on the OST album. But after this review i dont have much hope. If even a so called Williams lover completely shits on all the established thematic material of SIX MOVIES i will not even call him a worthy composer anymore, that would be the peak of dumbness, arrogance and egoistic behaviour.

Take note, Joey. Clemmensen and this idiot are getting angry and taking grievous offense because there's not enough Hedwig's theme or whatever (they assume). Imagine if you were just doing your job, trying to produce something artistic, and people started screaming at you for being selfish, arrogant and destroying a musical legacy for your own glory. I'd be pretty goddamned offended.

Let's hope Desplat didnt do that and that Williams material is in the movie but just not released on the OST. As is said i reserve final judgement until i watched the movie so you can render anything you call offensive non existant if Williams material exists besides the OST release in the movie!

By the way, you really call me an idiot Henry? If that's the case i expect an apology. This board is not a dictatorship, as far as i am aware i can voice my opinion without getting insulted. Such behaviour really makes me angry. You don't have to share my opinion, thats's alright but better argument on a grown up level and stop insulting.

That is probably the worst experience i had on this board since i registered, to be called an idiot just because i voice my opinion....

In all fairness, just look at what you're willing to call Desplat if he doesn't use Williams' themes ....your final judgement pending.

Being grown up works both ways.

There is no argument in the world who can convince me that ignoring a largely successful, extremely good and widely established (even requested by the studio) Main Theme of a Franchise with 8 MOVIES is not selfish, arrogant and destroying the complete continuity.

I really hope that won't happen...

Official soundtrack website is up, and includes samples that are, for the most part, entirely different from those found on Amazon: http://deathlyhallowssoundtrack.com/

I'm really loving the orchestral sound of this thing, it's easily the most colorful Potter score since the 3rd film, and some of the orchestration is very Williams-esque (like "Detonators" and "Destroying the Locket"). Conrad Pope's influence can definitely be felt. I still think some of the melodic ideas leave a little to be desired, but...*sigh* what can you do.

I don't know why anyone would even pay attention to anything written at Filmtracks.

Desplat will do what's asked of him by those in charge. Why? Because this is a huge chance for him. He also has great respect for Williams but he does have a job to do.

Were people this upset that Alan Parker barely used Williams' shark theme for Jaws 3D?

The comments in passing during the interview where Desplat said he loved JW's music and would be using his themes was just a throwaway comment for the most part. He was being polite. It's the JW fanboy in you that is holding him to them and realizing he probably doesn't give a shit what anyone composed for the rest of the series.

He said he wanted to use "Williams' theme" if the footage allowed him to, and that it was underused in the last couple of films. As I recall. :huh: