Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 1 by Alexandre Desplat

Josh500

Can we quit the freaking "OMG Desplat is ignoring musical continuity by not using previous themes" crap until we've heard the full score?

It's like ROTS. In the film, the force theme plays like every two minutes. But (IIRC) outside of the middle of BOTH and A New Hope, it's barely heard on the OST.

It's quite funny to read this statement again from a month ago.

As it turns out, there is more music available on CD than there is in the film, and one of the best pieces has been rescored by anonymous string lines.

Moderators note: This thread originally contained a poll asking if you would be purchasing the OST, and/or purchasing the Deluxe Edition OST. The poll was accidentally deleted.

Hey, I saw this just now. Accidentally? I thought that was Mark again... :)

Now that I've finally seen the film (and enjoyed it a lot), I'd like to add some observations about the score in the film. I have read the ongoing discussion over the last two weeks and don't recall any of this being mentioned, but if it has been already, shame on me (and nail me to the tree of redundancy).

Firstly, I didn't have the impression that the score was generally mixed too low, as some here have stated. Perhaps this is an issue of individual prints, or theater sound setups, but at my theater I found the score mixing perfectly fine, with the several action setpieces packing some serious oomph (special mention goes out to the "Detonators" sequence, which played out very ballet-like :)).

Some (parts of) CD tracks are used in different places; whether the CD sequence is the intended one and the music was tracked in the film, or the other way around, I can't say:

- The beginning of "The Will" was heard much later in the film over an establishing shot of the trio approaching Xeno Lovegood's house.

- The track "Ron Leaves" seems to score the scene early in the film where Harry tries to sneak off from the Burrow, Ron stops him, and the share a moment. I'm not sure if it's the exact same piece (or all of it - something to check at the next viewing), but the beginning statement of the main theme with solo cello sounded very familiar to me. If that's the case, it sheds some light on why this music wasn't heard during Ron's departure (in any case the track is slightly out of sequence on CD, as "The Exodus" would come before).

One more thought about the upcoming bonus tracks - seeing how Desplat wrote a musical setpiece for Lovegood that wasn't used for the scene (which to me is a bit of a pity musically, but a quite understandable artistic decision - it would have totally altered the mood of the scene), it could be that "The tale of the three brothers" is likewise a musical telling of that story, that was scrapped in favor of the more ghostly ambient soundscape approach from the film. At least what's heard here in the film wouldn't be a very rewarding addition to a deluxe set as pricey as this Special Edition...

[\edit: I see scallenger already made this assumption in the Potterdom thread]

I paid attention to the music during the scene outside the Burrow, and I remember thinking that it's an unreleased piece. I would have definitely noticed if "Ron Leaves" played early in the film. It was the only piece I was looking forward to.

I surely won't put up video footage of the film ... everyone can have it by PM.

It's not a fully blown re-score, it's Williams' pieces over the scenes, and it works amazingly well I might add.

Having seen the film for a second time, and continuing to listen to the soundtrack, I have to say that I appreciate the fact that there isn't one central musical idea repeating itself throughout the entire score (the smaller recurring ideas provide a nice continuity for me). I like the fact that it, literally, feels likes a journey -- almost like small musical vignettes which make up the larger landscape of the score. If this was Desplat's conscious decision (and the quote a couple pages back seems to confirm it), then I'd say he successfully accomplished what he set out to do. Whether or not this appeals to the majority of moviegoers (and soundtrack listeners) is another matter. I can't find anyone else (amongst friends and family) who has seen the movie who thought the score was noteworthy or exceptionally memorable. Even a couple of close friends who share an affinity for Howard Shore's LOTR work seemed underwhelmed. So there's something to be said about how the score isn't leaving an impact on audiences (generally speaking, of course).

Still, it's been a long time since I've enjoyed a score as much as this one. And even when I try and add a little variety to my playlist I feel oddly compelled to listen to tracks like "Lovegood" or "Obliviate" -- and once I get started, I generally put the whole album on from start to finish. :)

Moderators note: This thread originally contained a poll asking if you would be purchasing the OST, and/or purchasing the Deluxe Edition OST. The poll was accidentally deleted.

Hey, I saw this just now. Accidentally? I thought that was Mark again... :)

Actually it was me. Although Jason posted the note.

Someone posted a duplicate thread and when I merged the thread into this one it deleted the poll.

I reckon we will be seeing more of these accidental mergings in the future.

First they came for Josh500....but I didn't....aw hell no more polls, who am I kidding I'm ecstatic. :)

I think when merging threads, you have to click "Merge Threads" from the ORIGINAL thread, and then paste in the URL of the dupe one you want removed, and not the other way around

And yes, it was an accident Josh, lets the polls continue!

The movie as a whole was good. As for the score ...meh.

I would have very much appreciated some kind of musical coherence through the film. Desplat missed out on a great opportunity to create a theme for the horcrux they spent most of the movie carrying around. It could have been low and brooding for a few scenes, then full-out when it was going to be destroyed. I really wanted a memorable musical moment from the film, but I don't remember one. I think Desplat was trying to be the anti-Williams when scoring, but he would have had an amazing opportunity with this film, and he pretty much wasted it.

I think Desplat was trying to be the anti-Williams when scoring, but he would have had an amazing opportunity with this film, and he pretty much wasted it.

I doubt Desplat was consciously "trying to be the anti-Williams," unless you want to characterize his entire career as a reaction to Williams' compositional tendencies. I don't think his effort should be judged on the degree to which it faithfully emulates the style of another composer, as great as that composer may be.

I'm fairly sure that:

- Voldemort should go between Snape to Malfoy Manor and Polyjuice Potion

- The Dumbledores between The Will and Death Eaters

- Bellatrix between Captured and Tortured and Rescuing Hermione

I've seen the film for the third time tonight. With the above iTunes bonus tracks, it doesn't sound like there is much, if anything, significant missing from the score. The only major thing I noticed was that there is a percussion over-dub in the film during "The Elder Wand".

I think you are right, the only one that confused me was "The Dumbledores". Does it really cove the scene where Doge and Muriel are talking about the Dumbledore family? I don't know where else it would go but I could have sworn there was different music during that scene. Also, as for unreleased music, I think there was some music leading up to their walk to Lovegood's house that wasn't released which probably was a replacement track for "Lovegood". It isn't anything too special, though.

If I'm not mistaken, "The Dumbledores" actually plays after the Harry/Hermione dance scene in the tent, when they're camping on the rocks and Harry tries to convince Hermione to go to Godric's Hollow.

The movie as a whole was good. As for the score ...meh.

I would have very much appreciated some kind of musical coherence through the film. Desplat missed out on a great opportunity to create a theme for the horcrux they spent most of the movie carrying around. It could have been low and brooding for a few scenes, then full-out when it was going to be destroyed. I really wanted a memorable musical moment from the film, but I don't remember one. I think Desplat was trying to be the anti-Williams when scoring, but he would have had an amazing opportunity with this film, and he pretty much wasted it.

I think all of that is a preposterous steaming pile of paranoia doodoo.

...I found the score mixing perfectly fine, with the several action setpieces packing some serious oomph (special mention goes out to the "Detonators" sequence, which played out very ballet-like :)).

Yes, I forgot to mention how much I enjoyed the way the music was used in the film for that scene! There is an extra beat to it not on the CD, as the music "interacts" with the beat of the ministry employees going through their paperwork. I almost wished this extra bit of beat was on the CD when I listen to it now! :thumbup: I think this calls for a film edit when the time comes. ;)

The soundtrack mp3 download is just $5 on Amazon (it says it's a monthly deal, so I'd assume today's the last day for that price). I'm soooo tempted to get it, since it's so inexpensive, but another part of me thinks it pointless since I know I'll get the inevitable boxed set that will come out one day...

Having seen the film again (hehe :) ) it has grabbed my attention that there is another motif that does not appear anywhere on the OST. It is first heard in the film when Harry is looking in his cupboard under the stairs. Also i'm pretty sure it underscores 'Ron Leaves' in the film, as well as the moment of a certain character's passing.

I tried to commit it to my memory and pretty sure it sounds like this, bare in mind this is played by ear.

Yes, that was actually the one motif that stuck with me when the movie was over. More than anything else in the score, it really seemed to indicate those moments where the series was losing innocence (the most pervasive theme in this movie), and those three moments you listed certainly demonstrate that.

I haven't read through 30 pages of discussion but I just saw the movie, and I am a little disappointed by the score. It is not a bad score, but overall it sounds too generic. There are no memorable themes, let alone recapitulations of JW themes. Also I felt there were scenes that weren't scored which would have been stronger if they were, at other times it felt out of place, or it missed opportunities (e.g. in pointing out humor or at a change of emotion).

Desplat's writing is sympathetic and colorful, but the score is not fitting the movie as I felt it could have.

Older movies had 1) better spotting, 2) better themes, 3) music with more impact.

Surely there is no balance when there is a handful of cues that resonate, and the rest of it is barely audible.

'Balance' has everthing to do with timing IMO. But since when is it a bad thing to have thematics in a film score?

Also I felt there were scenes that weren't scored which would have been stronger if they were, at other times it felt out of place, or it missed opportunities (e.g. in pointing out humor or at a change of emotion).

Examples? I love film music, and I love when the music is in perfect synchronicity with its movie, but I can't think of a single moment of silence in the film that would have worked better with music. Especially during that camping section, which needed the visceral feeling that either a minimal use of score or a total lack of it can provide.

The scenes where they related to the past. The chase in the forest. The very first scenes at Malfoy Manor. The scenes in the forest where there was dialogue. I don't remember them all one by one, but it was very clear. It feels empty, as if the movie has not been edited. In a very silent scene music can add tension through phrasing, so that it is musically clear how long a scene will durate and therefore will never feel too long or too stretched. This is what I often missed. Just compare to the first two films, they were full of music even when there was plain dialogue there was underscoring.

Also at places we don't hear the same emotions we see onscreen.

I won't argue with you if you feel it differently.

Yeah, that's just a clear difference in preferred aesthetics. I love moments of total silence just as much as I love moments paired with music, and a lot of times I'll even prefer it. I loved all the scenes you mentioned, and I thought the lack of score in the first few minutes of the Malfoy Manor scene was especially effective. So to each his own, I suppose.

I'm planning to go see the movie again later this month (with my sister, who has enjoyed all the movies so far, but didn't read the books - always fun to experience the story with someone who doesn't know the twists and turns yet :thumbup:). I will try to pay attention to the use of the music again :)

Does someone know if "Hermione's Parents" was used in the film? I can't recall hearing the chorus which, I suppose, goes over the appearing deer patronus.

It starts playing during that scene where Hermione tells Harry about her parents taking her to the Forest of Dean, and reveals that his wand is broken. Then the chorus starts up when the deer arrives, and the ostinatos in the strings play over when Harry is preparing to dive into the lake to get the sword.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to say outright that this set was a waste of the $63 I spent on it, but I knew that going into this.

The set comes packaged in a large box, as expected. It's roughly the size of an LP or laser disc box set.

You lift the lid and you have a cardboard flap that houses your certificate of authenticity, mine number 9,448 of 10,000.

The flap folds out and this is what houses the discs, which rest in the cardboard slip. The discs all follow the same art scheme as the single disc release, and the original disc is identical to the single disc release. The second disc houses the bonus track,s which I have yet to listen to. I don't know the score well enough to be able to tell you what sequences they are from, etc. There is also the 5.1 DVD with the mini-doc, which I haven't watched yet. The CD inserts here are identical to the single disc release inserts.

Under this is a foldout horizontal poster. Nothing special.

The sheet music is printed on poster stock, plain white on the other side. It is NOT the sheet that you all saw in the publicity photos, thankfully, but is instead the first bars of the cue "The Detonators". It looks nice. The autograph is NOT REAL. It's part of the photo copy, so anyone hoping that this was going to be hand signed will be disappointed.

post-1702-0-99888300-1292958301_thumb.jp

Below that are 2 film cells, framed in a cardboard slip with art from the posters. On the other side are 2 additional short quotes from the Heyman and Desplat.

Below this is the 7" picture disc, side A is labeled "The Deathly Hallows", side B is labeled "The Journey." I don't have the equipment to play this on until my sister gets home from college with her record player, so no comments on the content.

164299_1506223978764_1329210059_31100861_76481_n.jpg

165310_1506224298772_1329210059_31100864_6844748_n.jpg

164517_1506224538778_1329210059_31100866_4313724_n.jpg

164576_1506224658781_1329210059_31100867_7132847_n.jpg

163709_1506224738783_1329210059_31100868_1757980_n.jpg

Thanks!

This is weird though, someone on FSM wrote:

Not sure what's on the 7" vinyl, need to give it a spin. Side A is called "The Deathly Hallows", but it appears to have tracks, side B is called Voldemort.