Twas my duty sire. Superman.

Melange

cd-small.jpg

I was Christmas Shopping today, and although i can really afford this, i noticed the Rhino 2cd Superman score and just could'nt let go of the opportunity as i've not seen it in shops before over here. What a great moment it was to hear that superb theme again after so many years.

Truly wonderful buy. :) But lots left to hear on it yet.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man are you gonna love that set!

I bought it just over a year ago and well it's one of the best Williams releases ever!

Brian99_1 - Going to grab his copy for another listen once again!

What a coincidence! I just bought my copy on Sunday!

I need to give it a couple more of listens in the following weeks before I give out an opinion that'll threaten my existence, though.

-ROSS, who thinks the first hour of Supes II was superior in some aspects to Supes: The Movie, and will get killed for that opinion.

What a coincidence! I just bought my copy on Sunday!

I need to give it a couple more of listens in the following weeks before I give out an opinion that'll threaten my existence, though.

-ROSS, who thinks the first hour of Supes II was superior in some aspects to Supes: The Movie, and will get killed for that opinion.

And you deserve too. :)

Just been listening to more of it. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Melange - Lamenting at a Williams long gone. :cry: :( :cry:

:) Superman (what a suprise) DISC 1 TRACK 17 alternate march :wave:

A welcome feeling from my youth. No matter how much doom and gloom was happening in a scene, that uplifting march rolling in like thunder from the horizon signified that everything was going to be alright from this moment on and you'd later walk out of the cinema convinced you had massive pectorals aswell as an illusion that without having to take any PCP you could with out a doubt you sprint off a high roof and fly off into the sunset with a lock of hair strategically hanging near your glinting pearly whites. Oh, and i forgot to mention the arm outstretched in front with fist clenched. Thats very important.

The overated idea is actually quite overated. :)

You had to be there in the cinema Morn as a kid to feel it.

(oh god does that sound corny or what).. LOL.

Another coincidence....I decided to dust off a few reviews and score analyses I've never gotten around to finishing. The first one I'm knuckling down on? Why, Superman, of course. My personal favorite, and without question one of his all-time best.

SupII was all right (the elevator ride into space is one of those brief vignettes that's always popping into my mind), but so much of it was based on reorchestrations of the first score, and so much of it sounds like it was performed by a high school marching band, that I could never take it all that seriously.

- Uni

whether by design or accident, one of the most perfect insults of all time has just been delivered

silence28.gif

"Tsk tsk Stefancos. You were doing fine. You had been courteous and receptive to courtesy. You had established trust with the embarassing truth about Morn, and now this approach to dealing with your old friend Uncle Melange. Tut tut tut...It wont do....."

:roll: I wish i had'nt started this thread now. It has started debates.

Perhaps if i fly out of the window and fly around the globe extremely fast with an angry look on my face it may turn back time and i can return with a lock of hair strategically hanging close to my glinting pearly whites while sticking my chest out in a heroic and extremely dramatic way? :)

I personally think the score is just a tad overrated.

Stefancos- who expects to be killed too.

I'll have to second that, at least after I now finally bought the Special Edition DVD (Hadn't seen the film nor heard the score (apart from the march) before), I found the film enjoyable, and definitely worth more than one viewing, but it just doesn't hold up to what I expected from it (after all the praise Neil&Co. are giving it here :). (rating: ****/*****)

Ah, and for the score, it is good, no doubt, but I was also surprised at how little of it REALLY engaged me, I was expecting it would be at least similarly good as Star Wars (which remains, with Schindler's List and Jurassic Park, my favorite score of all time).

-Chris

P.S.: Ok Neil, you may hit me over the head with a red cape now :wave:

I personally think the score is just a tad overrated.
Ah, and for the score, it is good, no doubt, but I was also surprised at how little of it REALLY engaged me

I have to agree with those sentiments. Don't get me wrong, I love the music, but it doesn't really hold me as I thought it would. I like the concert pieces better than the overal album. However, the score is definitely in my top 10.

Ray Barnbsury

I like the Superman score alot, but i only have the original cd release of it. Is the two disc set a must have, or should i wait until i have extra money to blow?

-Jason, back again after another long while

Hey Jason! Great to see you here again. :)

As long as you have the single CD release of Superman, I wouldn't consider the 2-Disc Rhino release an immediate must-have. But I know many others here will differ.

Ray Barnsbury

You had to be there in the cinema Morn as a kid to feel it.

I AM NOT MORN!!!!!

Stefancos- who will not forget this insult. :angry:

We were recently visited by an old friend, Seth Brundle

now the two of us will be know as SteMorn.

We are now one unique being. OUR love for Kira is supreme.

Our love of Deep Space Nine is supreme. Our toughts are one.

we are STEMORN

now the two of us will be know as SteMorn.

Nah!. Mornancos (sounds like one of the fellowship characters)

Our toughts are one.

That sounds like an Irish accent.