Some groovy pictures!

TownerFan

I was googling in serch of pictures of Williams and Goldsmith for an article I have to write for my website and I happened to find some really groovy photos on Joey Newman's website (part of the Newmans Family, grandson of Lionel Newman). Check out some of them:

LN_JW_MED.jpg

(Lionel Newman and John Williams--early 70s I guess! :o)

LionelAndJerryGoldsmith_MED.jpg

(Lionel Newman and Jerry Goldsmith on the stage)

Star_Wars_London_MED.jpg

(The Star Wars scoring gang at Anvil Denham)

AlfredNewman_MED.jpg

(Alfred Newman conducts)

LionelAndRandy_MED.jpg

(Randy Newman and uncle Lionel)

Cartoon_Dad_by_Ken_Runyon_MED.jpeg

(comic strip from Return of the Jedi spotting sessions--LOL :))

Check out other nice pics here: http://www.joeynewman.com/index.php/gallery/category/C4/

You know what's really cool about seeing these pictures? It really seems those people were having a lot of fun while working, despite the pressure and the stress of studio life. It was really another time.

I've never seen Williams with hair like that.

Yeah... wotta hippie. I never knew he smoked cigars, either. Look at that, two of the photos have him smoking. Hope that didn't take days off his life.

Great pics!

Wow that first one is great. It doesn't look like 70s Williams, maybe 60s or even late 50s. I'm not sure when he started working with Lionel Newman.

When did Williams start losing his hair exactly? I don't think I've seen a picture of him with a full head of hair.

It's crazy how different he's looked at different points in his life. I mean...I guess everyone's appearance changes over time, but some people change more than others. With his changing hair styles (on his scalp and face) and changes in weight and just general aging, he's really had a wide variety of appearances.

There's a picture of Williams, in one of the booklets, from one of his early scores released by FSM wearing his black turtle neck in the late 60's / early 70's with more hair.

Looks like he started losing his hair in his 30s. That sucks!

I'm 38 and it's starting. Two years ago, I had a thick head of hair and you'd never have suspected I'd loose any of it. Then all of a sudden... Oh Crap!!!

It does indeed suck.

Another great find Maurizio! Funny and delightful stuff and it is almost a shock to see Johnny with that kind of hair-do and with so much hair. ;)

Jerry Goldsmith and Lionel Newman in Chinese style outfits is intriguing. Does anyone know what score are they recording in that picture?

The ROTJ spotting sessions cartoon is brilliant! :P

• 1 year later...

Jerry Goldsmith and Lionel Newman in Chinese style outfits is intriguing. Does anyone know what score are they recording in that picture?

It's a very late answer to your question but it's from the film "The Sand Pebbles".

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, classic picture that I've seen a few times.

I believe the guy standing behind them is Doug Fake and the guy on the far right is Laurence Rosenthal. But I have no idea who the woman is, or the guy to the far left.

I've never seen Williams with hair like that.

Yeah... wotta hippie. I never knew he smoked cigars, either. Look at that, two of the photos have him smoking. Hope that didn't take days off his life.

Great pics!

i actually think there are a few pics out there where hes got an ash tray on his desk, and theres also one of him during the recording sessions for his flute and violin concerto, smoking a cigar.