Complete Cue List: The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Jay

I dont think 'that' has happened...

but just in case: Jurassic park and the lost world are my long time holy grails. wink wink.

Don't feel bad KM, I only got it last night. It took me all frackin day! And i only got it cause someone who i gave the DL link to sent it directly TO me lol

OMG OMG

KM, it is true!

I'm lost. What are we talking about now?

The sheet music is out there. The recording sessions are not.

I wasn't sure if i was allowed to post a direct link, but i've uploaded the finale to the "The Saving Dart" that's not on the album. I wanna keep playing withthe mixing but this would at least demonstrate what it is heh

Hey GM you are more than welcome to post your finale mockups directly here in the thread! Just not blends of the finale mockups with the real film cues.

Erich Kunzel TLW is better than Williams'.

It is a tad too fast for my tastes. There is something more majestic in the deliberately slow paced original which conjures the adventurous traveling better to my mind. That said I would love to hear JWs own interpretation of the concert version which differs slighty in orchestration from the original film counterpart as do many of JWs concert arrangements.

I don't 'like' it but i feel it can serve a different purpose...

Also, if you wanna hear the mock i made you can downlaod it here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y6CL0UBH

I wanna play with it a bit more but it gives you a rough idea. Attach it onto the album "Finale and Theme from Jurassic Park" on the album at about [02:22]

Does anyone really like the sped up version of the JP theme?

Not me. It's weird...sometimes composers lose the ability to conduct their own music at appropriate tempi. Actually, I don't know if I've ever heard a performance of that theme that took the correct tempo since the original recordings! Everyone always wants to speed it up...so it sounds stupid...

By the way, I do wonder why that cue isn't in the leaked sheet music. There's nothing TRULY new in it, so it's possible it was arranged by someone else or at least penned at a later date and filed differently or something...

Nicely done with the mockup, BTW, GoodMusician. :lol: I'll probably do my own for my edit simply because I'm so much more used to the sounds of Finale, but you do very fine work.

In all the Star Wars re-recordings Williams SLOWS the tempo..weird.

I like the OST JP theme the best by far

K.M.Who has Glee accidentally on the TV for the past 20 minutes while browsing the web and gradually going insane

K.M.2, looking for the remote control

Yeah, I think the original theme is too boring and cuddly in its original form.

I have always thought the OST version the best performance of the main or hymn theme. The slower tempo and the balancing of each element gives it a transcendent feel. There is a grace and dignity in the slow progression of the music, gentle and majestic, just as the dinosaurs are in the first scene where we see them. The wonderful flowing and slowly growing structure of the piece is like a reverent celebration of nature itself or expression of pure elevation and awe of human spirit. Not only does it fit the film perfectly, it also sounds completely musical. I guess Williams later re-thought the music for concert setting and was free of the time constraints of the film and felt that the faster reading of the theme would be good. To me it just sounds rushed and ruins the hymn-like feel of the piece and also gives the feeling that the orchestra is in a hurry to finish and be over and done with the piece as fast as possible.

Actually the "fast" concert version takes the orchestration of the "Brontosaurus" cue and applies the accelerated tempo used in the end credits arrangement ("Welcome to Jurassic Park").

I too prefer the Andante of the original film cue to the Allegro concert version.

Not me. It's weird...sometimes composers lose the ability to conduct their own music at appropriate tempi. Actually, I don't know if I've ever heard a performance of that theme that took the correct tempo since the original recordings! Everyone always wants to speed it up...so it sounds stupid...

As i said many times before... if every rendition is sped up and only the JP OST version is slow, what is the correct tempo?

Williams seems to prefer the fast tempo, and since it is his composition..that must be the true tempo.

Maybe artie kane conducted it slower than williams intended.

the slow version sounds the best anyway. the choir (absent on other versions) adds a lot too.

One thing you guys may be forgetting is that JW did not record a specific concert arrangement for the OST.

The track on the OST is a simply a short introduction, that WAS recorded specifically for the OST.... which is then followed by the cue from the film where they see the dinosaurs for the first time. It's LITERALLY the EXACT same recording that is also on the OST inside "Journey To The Island"

I would argue that there is a correct tempo, and that it is possible for the composer himself to get it wrong. Obviously, this argument should be taken with a grain of salt, and if I preferred the faster tempo, I wouldn't bother. But anyway, here's why. I would bet money that Williams wrote the theme specifically for when they see the brachiosaurus. He clearly intended to use it elsewhere, but that is the one scene that really explores the theme to its fullest, and it's of course what the concert suite is based on. Because this was a cue written for the film score itself, not just a concert suite, Williams had to pick a tempo - actually, a very, very precise tempo. Even when there's no "Mickey Mousing" involved, film scores are written so that they follow very exact prescribed tempi and sync up with the picture, often down to hundredths of a second. This was the case with the cue in question, "The Dinosaurs." Lots of sync points to hit - for starters, seeing the brachiosaurus, the brachiosaurus hitting the earth with its front feet, seeing all the animals across the water, stuff like that. So before Williams even wrote the cue, he had picked a tempo. That's how he works, how most composers work.

Is it possible he penned the theme at a faster tempo before setting his eyes on that scene, and then had to slow it down for use in the film? I suppose. I find it unlikely, but it's possible. And the finale demonstrates that with different orchestration, a faster tempo doesn't have to be a bad thing. But with the orchestration of "The Dinosaurs", it just sounds horrible to me. Cheesy and rushed and gross.

The question is whether "Up In A Basket" plays in its entirely in the film as intended or not, and whether the "Part II" version of the cue is in the film at all or not.

I HATE it, never listen to it. The original is a majestic marvel, breathtaking and goosebump inducing. The sped up version is none of those things. It's feeble.

I think the issue stems from the whole point of a concert. Look at the jp theme. It's not the most intricate piece ever composed. You do it slow enough and you'll lull an audience to sleep. Do it faster, and you can still advertise as "performing themes from such blockbuster hits as Jurassic Park..." and get away with it.

It's the venue.

The recording on the JP album is, yes, a specially written intro and then harp ending attached to the middle to end of whats called "The dinosaurs" from Jurassic Park. It's the same recording used in the album track "Journey to the Island" just with what they called the "Record Intro"

In regards to JP theme tempo, the John Mauceri version with that bomb ass chorus isn't sped-up. Neither are the Kunzel or Prague versions, really. Not like the Lost World version or Williams' concert performances.

Whew, finally workin' on my edit! The first three cues are ridiculously easy...just cut at the right moment and fake a clean ending. Now I'm splitting "The Stegosaurus" from "Finding the Baby", and although it should be relatively easy to fake a clean ending for the former, I'll relish the challenge of making a clean opening for the latter. Since the first half of the first bar is virtually identical to the second half, I'm just going to loop that second half. Because unless I'm missing something, the two cues weren't intended to segue in the film. I plopped the unused opening to "Finding the Baby" into the film so that it matched up with the parts that were used, and the cue started long after the end of "The Stegosaurus."

Hmm, I don't think "Big Feet" is quite complete in the film, guys. It's hard to tell because the cue is so quiet in the mix and because there's no particularly strong pulse in the part in question, but I'm pretty sure most or all of page 4 was cut. I'm gonna get to work on a Finale mockup, though I'm concerned about the BEGIN: 1/4 TONE VIBRATO (SLOWLY) in the low strings...not sure there's a way for me to pull that off. ;)

Also, is the consensus that "Corporate Choppers" was not supposed to segue directly into "The Round Up"? "Corporate Choppers" ends on the second beat of a 3/4 measure...based on the timing of the tracked music in the film and on the music itself, I'm guessing that "The Round Up" was supposed to start on the imaginary first beat of the next measure.

EDIT: Yep, measures 11-17 of "Big Feet" are missing, more or less.

I assumed that Corporate Choppers was meant to segue directly into The Round Up, but I had no basis for that assumption, other than the fact that in the film the music for the Corporate Choppers scenes plays right up until that shot of the jeeps coming over the hill, which is where I always assumed The Round Up was supposed to start on.

So, Fire At Camp plays 100% complete in the final film, then?