Complete Cue List: The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Jay

I don't know about that specifically, Mr. Skywalker, but keep in mind that this particular tool is only good for short bursts of sound.

SF1_freeze, I haven't turned up any uses of it yet, but I'm not the best qualified to answer that. :P

In other news, I'm finally getting back to my mockup of the second half of "Up in a Basket Part 1." I got distracted by some other scores I recently acquired for a while there. EDIT: Wow...I'm starting to really like the unused part of this cue. It's a pain in the butt to copy because there are so many rapid notes in the strings, but it sounds like it's probably a pretty great tension-builder in its original form. I think the scene plays just fine without music, but I'll definitely try syncing this up with the film when I'm done.

I recently got Magix Audio Cleaning Lab, but haven't taught myself how to do the spectral cleaning stuff yet. I hope it isn't too complicated! I can't wait to try it out.

The process is extremely simple - the harder part, I think, is getting good at it. And knowing when it's a lost cause. bowdown But basically all you do is find the SFX you want to remove and click-and-drag boxes around 'em.

All right, here's my finished mockup of the unused part of "Up in a Basket Part I." Just a reminder - this would start right as the T-rex roars in the distance. Everything up till that point is in the film unedited. I tried to set the tempi in a way that made it match up with the film, but I'm really not sure how it was supposed to end. I'm sure it's supposed to segue into part II, but I don't know when that would be, so I just left it at the most likely tempo. Maybe the film was re-cut.

http://rapidshare.co...sket_Part_I.WAV

EDIT: And "Pain of Glass" is most definitely complete and unedited in the film. Cool segue into "Truck Stop"...

Hey chocolateportals, be careful with MAGIX. Apparently, just opening a file in the program introduces just a little bit of noise into it, so you may want to make a copy, open it in MAGIX, and then use Audacity or whatever to edit the two together to avoid the hiss. EDIT: Never mind, I spoke too soon. I think the hiss is coming from something else.

Dang it, looks like the problem is Audacity's 1.3 beta. I switched to it from the latest stable release when I started work on TLW. The good news is that I caught it now instead of later...the bad news is that I'm gonna have to rework what I've done so far. =/ Stay away from the 1.3 series, folks.

Try opening a music file, then use the envelope tool to turn the gain all the way down. If you hit play, it'll be truly silent, no matter how high the volume is. But if you then export this file as a new WAV and open the new file in Audacity (or any other program), there will be a quiet hissing sound instead of silence. You can hear it and even see it if you zoom in enough. The same thing happened to me on two different computers. It's rather subtle, but I'm enough of a perfectionist to switch back to 1.2 now. I'm glad I only have to correct TLW and nothing else...

CRAP, you're right. I did my M:I 3 edit in this condition. But it's only very barely noticeable, and since with the envelope tool there's always other music playing, I'm sure I won't notice it. You say the previous version of Audacity doesn't have this problem?

Yeah, I've been using 1.2 for ages, and it's never done that. I double checked it by doing the exact same thing with 1.2 and 1.3 on two computers. 1.2 doesn't do it, 1.3 does. It's a pity, because I really do like a lot of the new stuff in the 1.3 series. And as you said, you really can't hear it very well if the music is loud enough. (Which is why I'm not gonna worry about redoing the DVD-ripped parts of my edit, haha.) But for quieter music, and for the start and end of each track...it's audible enough to bother me. So I'm going through and redoing as much as I can stand to.

For the starts and ends of tracks, I just use the regular fade-in and fade-out function, so that's all right.

Thanks for the heads-up! Will change back to 1.2.

Dang it, looks like the problem is Audacity's 1.3 beta. I switched to it from the latest stable release when I started work on TLW. The good news is that I caught it now instead of later...the bad news is that I'm gonna have to rework what I've done so far. =/ Stay away from the 1.3 series, folks.

Yeah, I noticed that. I did my entire Avatar from the recording sessions without realizing this. I had to redo the whole thing after switching to 1.2 :(

For over 300 bucks, it oughta be. :( Audacity is more than good enough for the basics, but it lacks a lot of the higher end features that Audition seems to have.

EDIT: Fixed everything in my edit (which happens to be everything up through "Truck Stop", plus the end credits). I'm glad this won't be an issue with the rest of it.

Good job on the mockup of the unused part of Up In A Basket, Joe! I like the cue quite a bit.

I synced it up to the film and it was effective enough, though I think they were right to have that section play with no score instead, for the most part.

Let me get this straight ,if you OPEN a file with Audacity it puts noise in the ORIGINAL file?

How is that possible?

Is this only with the Beta versions you guys are using?

Oh stupid, I didn't realize some noise got introduced the moment you export it. Ah well, it really is very, very minor hiss.

Ah dangit, I did my whole PS edit with it.

Okay, news flash: the problem CAN be fixed. The beta is still usable. I sent a bug report email to the team, not expecting a response, but someone wrote back promptly with the following:

The noise is "Dither", which

is intentionally applied when downsampling to a lower bit depth:

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Dither

It is thus correct and generally advisable to apply dither when exporting

to a 16-bit format (like WAV 16-bit PCM) from a 32-bit project (set at

"Default Sample Format" in the Quality Preferences). Audacity 1.2

does this too.

However 1.3 has a bug not present in 1.2 that dither is needlessly

applied when exporting to PCM formats at the same bit depth as the

project (for example, to WAV 16-bit PCM from a 16-bit project). This

will be noted in the Release Notes for the next 1.3.13 Beta.

The easy solution is for you to set "High Quality" dither to "None" at

Edit > Preferences: Quality. See:

http://manual.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=Quality_Preferences

I switched it to "None" as she suggested, and lo and behold...no more noise! ;) That won't correct the noise in edits you've already done, but it at least means we can still use 1.3 in the future.

And yes, KM, to clarify - with the default settings in the latest beta release, if you open a WAV file and then either save it or save a copy, that introduces a quiet but constant hiss in the background.

I can't wait for an official release, just for a complete version of Sarah's Rescue.

The moment the two T-Rex appear and Williams nails it with those chimes is one of those musical moments that I love.

In fact that's one of the highlighted scenes on the DVD musical feature. I believe it's where Kathleen Kennedy is talking about Williams and the scene is shown minus some of the sound effects.

It's indeed amazing. I hadn't really spent any time at all exploring the unreleased music in TLW till I got the sheet music, and that's easily one of my favorite parts. Just...glorious. Heck, it's marked "gothic and dramatically" in the score, with acoustic and synth chimes AND synth "cathedral organ", as well as the usual brass and strings and percussion. So freakin' good.

I get shivers from just those 10-15 seconds of music, although the entire cue is spectacular, from the subtle percussion at the beginning to the Golden Age styled finish.

Indeed, and personally I'm quite fond of the tense opening, too. Love that kind of writing.

Thanks for the update Datameister. Of course I already uninstalled and installed 1.2 in the meantime. Could you post this info in the Audacity thread in Other topics too? So that I can easily find it in the future.

Perhaps. ;)

EDIT: Between GoodMusician's in-park recordings and the DVD rips, there's just one passage missing from the middle of "Reading the Map." It's short, and nothing too unique. Just some dissonant string chords over more of the same drum grooves. Well, and you need to loop the beginning and end to get those right, but that's pretty easy.

Wow, I'm starting to really like the optional ending to "The Saving Dart", the one that GoodMusician (and now me too) did a mockup of. It ostensibly would have scored the shots of the dinosaurs at the end, and it couldn't be more different from the island fanfare. So pensive, with that great four-note theme on synthesizer and a quiet fadeout. I wonder what Williams was thinking would kick off the credits.

Also, "High Bar and Ceiling Tiles" is proving to be one of the most complex editing projects I've ever undertaken. Lots of short missing bits that have be re-created by looping other material, and I'm using the rear channels plus a drum loop from "The Raptors Appear" to make it as clean as possible, so all that has to be shifted around, too.

So the Island Fanfare wasn't supposed to go at the ending monologue? Fascinating. Can't wait to hear what it originally sounded like!

Like with the T-Rex Rescue from the first movie. Williams' original take gives the scene a more scary feeling, while the edited version makes it sound like the T-Rex is the hero. It's incredible how the music can change a scene in a completely different direction.

So the Island Fanfare wasn't supposed to go at the ending monologue? Fascinating.

We know that he wrote music for that scene (which is marked "if desired" in the score), but it's not clear why they recorded the Jurassic Park theme and island fanfare and whatnot. It's possible that they had some inkling it could go into that scene...but perhaps not.

This is really just the last of numerous instances of darker music being replaced by lighter tracked music, usually the lost world theme. Interesting how Williams' instincts for some scenes didn't match up with the filmmakers' goals in the end.

it is listed as optional. The harder part is that the "Theme from Jurassic Park" had been recorded as well and that doesn't seem to have been intended to be used in the film (neither was 'Theme from The Lost World'). The theme from JP used at the end of TLW cuts in halfway through the recording so i kinda doubt it had been intended to be in there... but eh

I'm excited to hear these mockups!

It seems Williams always writes and records several different End Credits cues, sometimes just substituting a solo part with another instrument (see Schindler's List, Munich and Stepmom as well) or making a slightly different arrangement. I guess it's just to give the filmmakers more options to use (he probably knows directors are usually uncertain about these kind of things, so he prefers to give them more options and get the work finished).

Maybe that's why Williams never has been fired off of a project. He anticipates the needs of a director so well that they couldn't/wouldn't fire him because before they can say something, he's alreday made an alternate or said "try this instead."

Maybe that's why Williams never has been fired off of a project. He anticipates the needs of a director so well that they couldn't/wouldn't fire him because before they can say something, he's alreday made an alternate or said "try this instead."

More composers should do that.

You're not going to get thrown off a film because they don't like the solo instrument you used. Things are so easily re-recorded these days (plus, rejecting a score requires recording a new one anyway... far better to just re-record parts of the one you *almost* like).

Unless Williams automatically writes 3 totally different approaches to every cue he thinks the director may not like, I don't think there's much in this theory.

Here's my mockup of the unused end of "High Bar and Ceiling Tiles." In the film, this was replaced by tracked statements of the Lost World theme. I used a combination of Finale mockups and identical material from "The Raptors Appear." To edit this into the DVD rip, the initial timpani should enter right as the Lost World theme starts. Then the quiet horn after all the Lost World stuff comes in over the last cello/bass note in the mockup.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9SGIVQUK

Enjoy! Of course, there's a lot of other little missing pieces earlier in the cue, but those work better if you just re-create them from material used in the film.

EDIT: Also, just FYI...I think there's a lot of material missing from the first half of "Rialto Ripples." The cue more or less plays for as long as it's supposed to in the film, but it sounds like they just looped certain measures for ages instead of allowing it to play through as recorded. Lots of material in the score that's supposed to play over the drum beats, but it's not there in the film, and what is there sounds like it was looped.

Thanks! "Rialto Ripples" is coming along nicely, too - I'm getting to reuse a lot of material from the recordings, rather than re-creating those parts in Finale, which is nice. Sounds more natural. The first half of the cue is pretty awesome, I think. It's a pity that it ended up being less interesting in the film. Anyway, I'll post the mockup of that part of the cue when I'm done.