Spielberg DID want to direct Harry Potter after all, but...

Quintus

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. As much as I love Spielberg, I'm glad he didn't get his way. One animated movie could not to justice to 7 great books (not that animated films can't be great, but I don't think they fit the Potter world).

I would just skip the second half of the first book and five next and the first half of the seventh. Or reduce them to 1 minute long montage. And there you go. All you need to know about Harry Potter! :P

Karol

Interesting. As much as I love Spielberg, I'm glad he didn't get his way. One animated movie could not to justice to 7 great books (not that animated films can't be great, but I don't think they fit the Potter world).

I dunno, I think Spielberg had a point - the first couple of Potter movies have quite a bit of loose fat around their waists; they are often incohesive and crowded - like a checklist was being ticked during their construction. They could have easily been combined into one movie. A more driven, effective experience.

I'm glad Alan Horn firmly vetoed this. As interesting as an CGI-animated Potter would be, I think the studio made a sound decision in going the live-action route and adapt the books one by one (I can see elements of the first two books being combined into a nice compact film).

Proof that every idea the Beard has isn't always a good one.

II'm struggling to think a way to combine all the trials from the last part of the first book and the adventure in the Chamber Of Secrets. Mystery driven plots are difficult to modify this way. Then The Quirrel Plot Twist and the Riddle/Voldemort twist.

They would have to change completely the diffrent mysteries, creating a different story. Not that I like the first two films that much now (my favourite is still the third one), but still they tried to do what I think was the right thing.

I like the early Harry Potter movies. They're enjoyable fantasy movies quite in the spirit of 80s cinema. The CGI concept is very lame. They were right to push for a live action human movie series.

We know from the ultimate editions John Williams was asked to write music for the teaser, so I don't think Spielberg is the reason he took the job. No doubt he would have done it if it HAD been a Spielberg movie though! :P

I heard about it before. He's kind of doing the same thing to Tintin, isn't he?

Karol

surely you're not trying to say that tintin has anywhere near the popularity of HP.

I'm so glad Spielberg didn't direct it, he would have messed it up.

Karol

surely you're not trying to say that tintin has anywhere near the popularity of HP.

I think popularity has nothing to do with some stories being done in CGI or not. Hergé's art begs for it to be kept in a way or another. The Potter books don't have a default look to them, but an adaptation would require the viewer to feel this magic world is real, so live action works better.

Williams became interested when his grandchildren had him read the first HP book, according to the man himself.

I would imagine Spielberg doesn't call Williams until he is actually signed on or 100% committed to directing. Or he could mention in passing that he's thinking about doing a certain film. But given Williams penchant for concentrating on the now, he probably wouldn't think too much about it until he was actually on the project.

Either way, I don't care if Spielberg did or didn't direct HP.

i thought i had readspielberg wanted to 'americanize' the story, not making it in animation.

Anyway this animated movie would have not been directed by him, i think.

How many has done dreamworks over the years? and he just directed the first one.

I don't know how this is news. It was widely reported in specialized media back in 2000, along with Spielberg's problem to find a robot that worked well enough to play David in AI. The LATimes didn't discover anything new, simply unearthed something that was forgotten.

It's conformation more than anything, isn't it? I vaguely remember hearing that Spielberg was offered it, but that he turned it down due to fact that he "made movies like that ten years ago", and in his sleep, I think he even added.

John Williams wasn't signed on Harry Potter until December 2000.

I don't believe Spielberg had much influence by then. To my knowledge Horner was offered the job first.

Karol

Probably more people around the world have read Tintin than HP

Tinti has something Harry Potter still needs to aquire.

Staying power, longevity.

These books have been read since the 30's, world wide Joe, yes even in the USA!

80 years from now Potter will probably be forgotten.

My parents read Tintin, I read Tintin and my kids will probably read it too. Obscure it is not. As comics go, the only thing that can compare to in popularity in my country is Asterix