JW cancels Pittsburgh concert due to back injury

Maestro

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bummer for those who were going to attend.

I hope Maestro is alright and gets well soon.

It's all that golf he's been playing.

Didn't he suffer a back injury during the sessions for JP and Artie Kane had to step in and finish/assist?

And I will reiterate, while not a death sentence, he's going to be 79 this coming February.

Indeed. Things just start falling apart.

Major bummer for all those that are attending. Hopefully he'll be well enough to perform again soon.

I wondered why a phone number from Pittsburgh just left a voicemail on my cell phone.

This is terrible. I was really looking forward to going to the show and so was my lady.

I wish the Maestro the safest recovery possible.

Oh my i hope he recovers soon.

Maybe this is just back strain that anyone (even young people) can have from a bad sleeping or sitting possition... and not a true 'injury'.

Anyways, now im not so sure if i should fly to the US to watch him in concert... i dont want to spend 1500 € for 'nothing'. I would still visit california and surroundings but...

I was going. I was leaving early and everything to beat the traffic. Now I just have souvenir tickets.

Anyways, now im not so sure if i should fly to the US to watch him in concert... i dont want to spend 1500 € for 'nothing'. I would still visit california and surroundings but...

Well had you come to Pittsburgh to see the concert, you could have visited the town of California located 58 km south without having to spend more € to cross the continent...

Ahhh c'mon, don't read that much into this. It has happened before. Williams didn't conduct the recording of "Jurassic Park", also because of back problems. It has nothing to do with his general health.

I'll have to check the CD but there should be a special thank you to Artie Kane, either on the CD or the film's end credits.

He stepped in and conducted after Williams threw his back out.

Naturally, Williams diagrammed out ahead of time every precise gesture and baton movement Kane had to make. In fact, Kane did not actually use any of his own brain cells; all his conducting was powered directly by Williams' brain.

Naturally, Williams diagrammed out ahead of time every precise gesture and baton movement Kane had to make. In fact, Kane did not actually use any of his own brain cells; all his conducting was powered directly by Williams' brain.

Exactly. Could not have put it better myself.

Williams did not conduct all of the JP cues. we do not know how many though.

Maybe the fact that the JP theme concert version (and the end credits concert) in JP are slower than Williams prefered tempo (as he conducts it in TLW and in concerts) has something to do with this.

I don't mean to sound like an insensitive prick because this really upsets me, but no one can conduct in his place? Admittedly, the show IS tomorrow, but he doesn't have backup?

I don't mean to sound like an insensitive prick because this really upsets me, but no one can conduct in his place? Admittedly, the show IS tomorrow, but he doesn't have backup?

Years ago, when Williams fell ill Kunzel stepped in and conducted the concert.. but..well...

I would think that depends on when the orchestra was going to practice the music for the concert. The local orchestra where I grew up practices the five evenings prior to each set of concerts. With a big city orchestra, they probably practice during the day and could wait until the day before a concert before running through everything. As it was a benefit, why nor have the assistant conductor take the podium, but still offer a refund to anyone who wants it? And still reschedule the make-up concert.

One word for the Maestro: robaxin.

Uncool news, for Mr. Williams and the concert goers.

Hope he feels better soon.

In the meantime, couldn't Crispin Glover just lend him one of these?

Transition_l3.jpg

Man, I knew Williams was a pansy ever since he started making xylophones a staple in his action music, but this really takes the cake. The dude needs to man up, take a few aspirins, and get his lazy ass out there.

The concert was scheduled as a fund-raising event for the musicians' pension fund, so it's likely the PSO and Williams want to give the audience what they really have paid for, hence it will be rescheduled at a later date.

I paid $100 to watch John Williams conduct the PSO.

I didn't pay $100 to watch Joe Blow conduct the PSO.

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. Hope he gets back on his feet soon. He seems to be very well fit for his age, so I think there should be no problem.

Hell, I've got back problems. He probably just did some heavy lifting. Gotta stretch first, Johnny!

He should get Jane Fonda's new workout DVD.

In the meantime, couldn't Crispin Glover just lend him one of these?

Transition_l3.jpg

That's not Crispin Glover.

Oops. :lol:

I'm not really familiar with Part II.

I just assumed Glover continued to play Marty's dad.

Actually Crispin Glover wouldn't sign up for the sequels so they found someone with his likeness and put them in. Even with the scenes from Part 2, you never saw George's face, only heard his voice.

When Crispin Glover found out about this I think he actually sued Universal and I think he tried to sue Bob Gale but not sure if he succeeded or not. They did that with out asking him first.