Desplat sucks

Hlao-roo

If Desplat is the future of film music, then film music has no future.

If film music has no future, then life has no purpose.

If life has no purpose, is it worth it to go on living?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At the very least until DEATHLY HALLOWS 2 is released. Just to piss on Desplat for another round. ;)

Fee-fi-fo-fum,

I smell the Alan-style sarcasm.

Plus FieryAngel suggested a thread with this title in the HP Desplat thread for Desplat naysayer to vent their disappointment. Not that anyone would take such a suggestion seriously. Would they?

I know this is probably just a sarcastic thread but if you guys are going to slam Desplat, it would be nice to see actual thoughtful observations about what it is that doesn't do it for you rather than just throwing out these one liners. Not too productive don't you think?

I second that thought, Fiery Angel.

If you hate something, that is fine by me. In this instance, I happen to disagree with you about Desplat. However, I am genuinely curious about your reasons. What are they? Can you be specific? Or, are these simple contrarian puffs of smoke, intended to incense the fan while riling the assumed masses of decent folk against the advancement of this Greco-Franco bastard and his silly attempts at a career of sonic story-telling and horror they feel it inflicts upon their ears?

Be specific, please. I absolutely love nothing more than a good discussion or healthy debate. Give me a proper platform, so that I may propagate my lies and thoughts from the pro-Desplat side of town.

smile.gif

I know this was in jest, but hey, I'll make it a real man's thread.

He is almost too refined with his music. It's an issue (for me, some like it) that modern-day post Schindler's List Williams can also suffer heavily from. And that's simply when they replace simple brute power with complexity.

So you'd have a composer like Goldsmith create brutal simple music when necessary, Williams and Desplat tend to capture a more chaotic side with a controlled levels of complexity. Need raw power? "Throw lots of notes at it!"

I could never imagine Desplat, or Williams of the 21st century writing the opening brass hits of "Red Alert" from First Contact for example. Giacchino? Absolutely. Which is probably why I prefer me some Giacchino to Desplat.

Of course, Goldsmith's genius was his impressive gift of being able to pick exactly the right moment to bring in that raw orchestral power. The reason for example it works so well within the Red Alert track? It is preceded by noble and smooth horns, a busy heroic fanfare, and then simple huge brass pounding out the Borg theme, just as simple and imposing as the Borg cube it depicts. You just don't get that with Desplat.

Desplat sucks

Nice little pessimistic dialogue about Desplat

Uncool, bro. :)

That should be turned into a Haiku.