'The Deep' instrument

pro-arte

Hello,

I am looking to know if someone can help me to recognize an instrument that appear in the soundtrack "The Deep" this instrument sound like a waterphone , but I am not that sure ..On Return to the sea it is at 0:29 ascending ans descending crescendo...Also at 9:40 it is more clearly listenable... Who knows, who knows ??? :unsure:The same instrument is used in CE3K...

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The instrument is called a transceleste, and would have been played by the legendary studio percussionist Emil Richards (CE3K, PLANET OF THE APES, ST:TMP). Here's a description of it:

transceleste_s.jpg

This instrument, dubbed "transceleste" by Emil Richards, is composed of hollow, brass tubes. It's tuned microtonally, in a 22-note Indian shruti scale. The bars have a long sustain, and glisses on the instrument especially create quite a dark, mystical feel.

This transceleste was used in films such as Night at the Museum, Airplane, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Flinstones, The Legend of Zorro, Independence Day, and Jurassic Park.

Another score you can hear it on is Don Davis's THE MATRIX (4:27 in The Hotel Ambush)