Quintus

Another bloody unavoidable media circus

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11765422

The British tabloids are gonna have a field day with this, there's gonna be endless tv coverage, documentaries, specials, commerative mugs... and all for the best part of a YEAR. There shall be no escape, for us Englanders.

When alls said and done though, I guess congratulations is in order. Good luck to 'em.

Long time since we've had a Royal Wedding! I like this couple and yeah, good luck to them....

....but the onslaught of the media circus you mention is going to be tiresome!

Plus, as I've read elsewhere, we'll probably be paying for it.

Finances for most of the activites of Charles and his Sons are mainly met by money raked in from the lucrative 'Dutchy of Cornwall' estate (a land, shore and commercial property oasis which for 673 years has managed to exempt itself from many laws that are applied to everyone else. Calling it a fiefdom operating on this island, could be close I guess). Like the wider Crown Estate, a vast empire of land and coast ownership, the Duchy sustains itself from the cash raked in from the resources it owns. Due to that, my guess is that the 'common man' probably won't be paying for the 'bulk' of this wedding. But it wouldn't surprise me if other aspects of it (security,road policing, coverage) are payed for through public funds at massive cost. Charles pays a chunk of income tax these days (at what Tax code,who knows), so he can claim rights to call on those funds to an extent. Like most people,I don't have anything against William and Harry. After all I've never met them and they just happened to have been born into their situation. But the institution of the Monarchy itself and the hold on land and resources that it has (public are led to believe the Monarchy is nowadays merely a diplomatic showpiece and for tourism) needs to be put under the spotlight as the empire it is,hiding behind ancient pieces of manuscript for protection and rights to land going many centuries back. Happy engagment to William and his Woman of course,but to me the BBC fawning over the Royalty and Cameron's 'delight' at it all, is 'already' very cringe inducing to see.

I feel for you, truly. Over here in the U.S., we've had to deal with something similar for many years.

He's called Brett Favre. :lol:

Hopefully, this one won't be the prelude to a nasty divorce and the REAL circus that follows.

I feel for you, truly. Over here in the U.S., we've had to deal with something similar for many years.

He's called Brett Favre. :lol:

Favre's done a complete 180 in the media over the past two decades, starting out as the darling quarterback and ending up as the sports icon everyone wishes would just go away.

Is that what the Windsors are like, too? I don't know.

I daresay the Kennedys got more attention as America's royalty over the past few decades.

The Queen and The Prince of Wales are reportedly willing to pay their share of what could be a £50 million bill for the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton.

One estimate to the cost of the Royal wedding claimed the final figure could even be as high as £80 million due to the levels of security required. Prince Charles's own wedding to Diana in 1981 cost an estimated £30 million, with thousands of police and Armed Forces personnel lining the streets to maintain order as 600,000 people gathered in London to watch. The likely budget will not be known until the detailed arrangements for the event have been announced" ~ http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20101118/tuk-queen-and-prince-charles-to-help-foo-dba1618.html .

Referring to my first post, Charles' lucrative Duchy of Cornwall could be his source of a contribution.

For the Queen, the wider Crown Estate and the share she gets from its yearly profits may be her source for contribution. Although, because much of the money the Crown Estate's assets make,go back into the Treasury these days,it could be a cunning play on words to say that the Queen is contributing if her contribution claim comes from the Crown Estate because it ends up as money used by the Government anyway. Who knows? Whatever the case, it's safe to say that we're NOT "all in this together".....

(no matter what people like Cameron say).

Why does the Queen of Australia choose to spend so much time in rainy England? The royals should have their weddings here!

I can imagine it already.

The wedding will take place on the beach at Sidney.

Prince Phillip will manage the BBQ, dressed only in purple swimming trunks. :thumbup:

In their never ending quest to twist facts for a good story,the media is speaking of this as a marriage between Royalty and a "Girl of 'humble' origins". Yeah, and Jerry Goldsmith scored E.T

Hey, it's hard livin' of 100 grand a year!

In their never ending quest to twist facts for a good story,the media is speaking of this as a marriage between Royalty and a "Girl of 'humble' origins".

I thought that would be a good thing. Non-royalty means fresh blood for the royal line.

God save the Queen if she hatches something that looks like Charles.

There shall be no escape, for us Englanders.

There shall be no escape where ever you live.

Even here, in periferia, where the polar bears walk on the streets, we have to read tabloids how the engagement ring

was and how did it all happen. I had to vomit several times.

Same time we had royal visitors from Sweden, so the hype was intolerable.

Please stop this shit. It's so 70's. No, it's so middle-Age.

Pity he had to resort to the cheesy, 'my actions were not appropriate' crap.

True, but there is a template to these 'confessions of sin' that makes it clear (it seems that way to me, anyway) within them that the one apologizing is merely doing it in order not to lose their job / other income, rather than genuine regret. But yes, when I read them it does read as if someone is standing behind them with a gun pointed at their head and telling them what to repeat, via an earpiece. The old - "I realise that my actions were deeply offensive, and the hurt (you what?) I caused" etc. Everyone from Stephen Fry to Harriet Harman has to make these penances these days after media outrage about things they write, speak, draw. We're getting more and more like Saudi Arabia by the day.

True, but there is a template to these 'confessions of sin' that makes it clear (it seems that way to me, anyway) within them that the one apologizing is merely doing it in order not to lose their job / other income, rather than genuine regret. But yes, when I read them it does read as if someone is standing behind them with a gun pointed at their head and telling them what to repeat, via an earpiece. The old - "I realise that my actions were deeply offensive, and the hurt (you what?) I caused" etc. Everyone from Stephen Fry to Harriet Harman has to make these penances these days after media outrage about things they write, speak, draw. We're getting more and more like Saudi Arabia by the day.

I feel incredibly hurt over these comments and demand that you acknowledge my pain with a written, public apology!

Pity he had to resort to the cheesy, 'my actions were not appropriate' crap.

True, but there is a template to these 'confessions of sin' that makes it clear (it seems that way to me, anyway) within them that the one apologizing is merely doing it in order not to lose their job / other income, rather than genuine regret. But yes, when I read them it does read as if someone is standing behind them with a gun pointed at their head and telling them what to repeat, via an earpiece.

That's exactly what I mean. One person dares to say what they actually, genuinely think about it, and suddenly they've got to reverse their stance in such an obviously forced and fake way. I just hate that today's society makes that necessary.

Seems every week someone is resigning because of one sentence they say where they speak their mind. Basically, freedom of speech is fucked because of those who think the public must be protected at all costs from anything not absolutely politically correct.

I feel incredibly hurt over these comments and demand that you acknowledge my pain with a written, public apology!

"Regarding my comments made earlier this evening,I wish to apologise unreservedly to Mr Cosman for my profoundly ill thought out comments which I now see were deeply offensive and hurtful and should never have been uttered either in public or private. It pains me deeply that Mr Cosman, who has worked so hard for so many years for the good of this forum and the wider community, has had to endure the suffering that my irresponsible comments brought. For this day's work I shall contemplate my astonishing abuse of the freedom to speak, on the tree of woe (awaiting a good pecking by a vulture). Furthermore, next time I shall think of the children. Yours with head hung low...Melange" :cool:

Seems every week someone is resigning because of one sentence they say where they speak their mind.

It does seem to be on the increase. Blasphemy for the modern age. Repent, Repent. Failing that,use the newspapers against people as a modern form of the market place stocks.

article1195068057482ef0.jpg

Since when did you Brits get freedom of speech? Isn't that why we rebelled?

Nowhere on earth (including the U.S) that I know of,currently has true freedom of speech.

Some countries are more elastic in what can be expressed in public than others, clearly.

But even the most elastic have things that are taboos which invite arrest/lawsuits if expressed.

I could care less about the wedding or anything remotely connected to the royal family (although Phil's racism is quite hilarious at times)

I'm still dissapointed that Prince Philip did not mistake Barack Obama for the valet parking boy and gave told him to fetch the Rolls.