The spine-tinglers and hair-raisers

Luke's theme in the Star Wars end title, also a staple of the main title and Throne Room/finale concert arrangements. Mix well with Charles Gerhardt and the National Philharmonic or John Williams and the London Symphony Orchestra circa 1977 for desired effect.

Journey to the Island, when the helicopter arrives at Jurassic Park.

The end title from Close Encounters of the Third Kind, AKA when the spaceship takes off.

Trapped/Broken Landing Gear from The Mission, when Static realizes Jonathan will be crushed while the Captain is ignorant.

The entire finale of E.T., unrelenting and unmatched.

When Harry first sees the Hogwarts Express.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have loads of 'hair raising' moments at the moment.

Russell's Packin'' from ID4 from 2:53 onwards - the superb buildup, which then launches into a rollicking final statement of Russell's theme. If by the end of this cue I'm not air-conducting and picturing Randy Quaid's heroic face, then I'm not properly listening. I don't think I've ever heard a cue before that so perfectly matches the film. I played this entire sequence very loudly with the window open this summer and man, it felt good.

Theoden Rides Forth, where the soprano reaches the end of the melody and Gandalf's theme is about to come crashing in.

Our Lady of Perpetual Labor - from when the cello (I think?) comes in with the counterpoint.

The River from The Edge, from 1:30 onwards. This rendition of the main theme is so slow, rich and with a wonderful counterpoint.

And last but absolutely not least, Test Drive. 'nuff said.

Many, but two that come to mind right away are........

* During

when the spirit reaches the front of the screen. 3:10-3:23. It's briefly the power and glory of sheer antiquity.

* Immolation, the whole piece and the accompanying scene during the movie. Human animal unfiltered. Particularly from 1.39 onwards.

Both are a triumphal ascent to a peak and then a dramatic crash into the raw terror to follow.

It only just occured to me consciously while posting them,that musically they're quite similar.

ETandElliot already named a few that I would've chosen, so here's a couple off the top of my head. (and there's so many more)

Fast Streets of Shanghai from Temple of Doom (2:46-3:08)

That build up....god that build up gets me everytime! Raises my hair, and something else! And then that grand ending, where you know the adventure is about to begin.

The Hand of Fate pt. 1 from Signs (4:29-4:39)

Those strings....holy shit.

Memories of Home (1:39-2:00) from the Pacific soundtrack.

Seriously, if you have not heard that part yet...you owe yourself to listen to it, now!

Lots of these moments for me but here are the ones off the top of my head...

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone: 'Hedwig's Time Transition/ A Change of Season' (gorgeous!), 'Leaving Hogwarts' (very end of the film)

StepMom:

Taking Pictures - when the harp gliss/ oboe comes in. Beautiful!

Many, many parts of A. I.

Phantom Menace:

the force theme when Anakin leaves his home.

My childhood tingler is a moment in SECRET OF NIMH: listen from 11:50 in the clip; it's when the the magical amulet suddenly appears and Goldsmith conjures one of those glitzy fantasy moments only he, Williams or Horner were ever able to.

http://www.veoh.com/collection/nimh/watch/v1129556PX63RRnQ#watch%3Dv1130712bdekM4cm

The main title of "Jurassic Park": you just know that something ominous is on its way.

Is the choir real, or synthisised?

Real. Or so I always assumed.

Thank's for that, Stefan.

I always like the bit in "TTI", just after the fireman dedication, as the chopper is flying all around S.F., because it means that, in a few seconds, we see The Glass Tower, and we get that spectacular statement of the hero theme. I get chills every time I hear that.

Two moments in The Enterprise - first at 1.29 when we first see her, and it sounds so reverential, almost angelic. And then when we see the first unencumbered view of her at 3.20. Both moments capture the intensity of Kirk's relationship with her perfectly.

L O S T

All of it.

I thought you said the Main Title was a waste of CD space... I am wrong ?

I said there was no need to have it on more than one release. So in that sense, it was a waste of CD space, but I was being facetious anyway. It's only 15 seconds long.

Man Against Beast - When we first see the shark in full as it passes beneath the Orca.

Reunion in the Tent/Searching for the Well - The fadeout.

Far from Home/E.T. Alone - The climax as the ship takes off and leaves Earth.

Luke & Leia's Theme - End Credits reprise.

T-Rex Rescue/Finale - The whole thing!

Penitent Man Will Pass springs to mind.

Yes. Yes!

The Dark Side Beckons!

It does, doesn't it? :P

The Force theme, again. Best theme from the Star Wars saga, as far as I'm concerned.

Best theme from anything, as far as I'm concerned. ;)

French horn solo in Among the Clouds, when Dorinda heads for the water. A different version can be heard in the Spielberg/Williams Theme from Always.

When teenage Indiana Jones escapes from the train.

The film version of the JFK prologue, the section after The Conspirators when Kennedy is giving the speech.

When Kevin waves to his neighbor at the end of Home Alone.

ROTK:

- The Ride of the Rohirrim in the Battle of the Pelennor Fields

-The Nature theme when the moth precedes the arrival of the eagles at the Black Gate

TPM:

- The force theme when Qui Gon is melting through the Blast doors

ROTJ

- Vader: 'If you will not turn to the dark side, than perhaps she will' Luke: 'NOOOO!' cue spine tingly music

AI

- Search for the Blue Fairy gets me pretty much everytime, but there are quite a few other moments in this score

Journey to the Island (JP)

Ride of the Rohirrim (ROTK)

The lighting of the Beacons (LOTR)

Theoden rides forth (TT)

Finale of Episode 2 (Imperial March in its best rendition of all six films)

The Tide Turns (Episode1)

Throne Room and Finale (StarWars) The Force Theme in the beginning

End Title (Empire Strikes Back) when Luke and Leia look down onto the galaxy

Buckbeaks Flight (PoA) when Harry flies across Hogwarts

When Luke fights Vader in RotJ (dont know the trackname right now)

The statement of Lukes Theme and the Force theme while in the death star trench (Star Wars)

and lots more......

Two bits from "The Final Conflict" really get to me. The first is those 4 string chords near the start of "Electric Storm". It's the bit where a tramp is sitting on a park bench, while Damien is explaining to Harvey Dean exactly how he intends to deal with him. The second bit is the new, choral theme just after Damien is killed :), and Christ returns :cool: . Gets me every time.

If this is about Williams only, the only ones that qualify for that description would be the tracks that venture into his socalled religious/spiritual sound - stuff like "Angela's Prayer", "Face of Pan", "Restoration", "Meeting with Mao", "Final Duel", "Remembrances", "The Hatikva", "Window to the Past", "Star of Bethlehem", "Only the Penitant Will Pass" and so on. Also the "Journey to the Island" theme, if only a slightly more majestic variation.

If this is about Williams only, the only ones that qualify for that description would be the tracks that venture into his socalled religious/spiritual sound - stuff like "Angela's Prayer", "Face of Pan", "Restoration", "Meeting with Mao", "Final Duel", "Remembrances", "The Hatikva", "Window to the Past", "Star of Bethlehem", "Only the Penitant Will Pass" and so on. Also the "Journey to the Island" theme, if only a slightly more majestic variation.

You forgot "Look Down, Lord": brilliant. And, since it starts in a church: "Setting The Trap".

You forgot "Look Down, Lord": brilliant. And, since it starts in a church: "Setting The Trap".

You're right about "Look Down Lord". "Setting the Trap" is a very different kind of music, though, even though it's set in a church. :unsure:

Since i KNOW nobody will mention it,

YES, The Jungle Chase.

Really? What part in particular?

To add to the thread.

Ian McKellen singing "The Road Goes Ever On and On" in "Bag End." Kills me everytime. So many spinetinglers and heartwarming parts in that track.

To add to the thread.

Ian McKellen singing "The Road Goes Ever On and On" in "Bag End." Kills me everytime. So many spinetinglers and heartwarming parts in that track.

That reminds me : I'm waiting for your thorough analysis of The Lord Of The Rings - The Complete Recordings ! I mean, you bought all three, and you didn't give us any feedback ? What kind of attitude is that ? Go now ! At the very least, wrote us a damn line!

I did make a post and even referenced one of the jokes about me buying all 3! http://jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8534&view=findpost&p=672303

Honestly though, I want to, but I still haven't listened to TTT and ROTK enough yet. I'm still trying to take it all in, while reading the liner notes and Doug Adam's book that just came out.

But to make you happy though and to keep on topic....

3:42 of Osgiliath Invaded is down right amazing. And all the Elf themes in "battle" in TTT. Makes me glad that PJ decided have Elves at his Helms Deep. Makes for some great music for fans.

Forward to Time Past - When Harry and Hermione run down the hallway and we travel through the clock tower.

Midway March - When everyone drops out at 1:44 except for the trumpets and horns.

The Cowboys Overture - When those high strings come in for the first time, preceded by the always lovely harp gliss.

A Window to the Past - When the melody gets transferred from the recorder over to the flutes, especially circa 1:48 with that great contrapuntal string line.

Jim's New Life - The key changes.

Recollections (The Father's Theme) - When Frank runs away from home.

my favourite moment is when the rohan theme is played by "battle horns" in The Battle of Helms Deep and when the Gondor theme is played by the "Isengard Horns"

One of my favourite ever musical moments by Williams, not to mention how much I love the scene itself! ;)

"I want to come with you to Alderaan, there's nothing for me here now. I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi like my father."

lukeef.jpg

I usually read through everyone's post, to make sure I'm throwing in something unique. But why? If they're my spine-tinglers, who cares if they're someone else's as well?

- "Journey to the Island" - Biggest spine-tingler ever for me. First time I really knew the music for a JW score the first time I saw the movie.

- "Through the Flames" - Between the music and Lando's whoop, it's a moment to cheer.

- Two appearances of Superman's "hero theme": First, when his ship breaks through the skylight, then again when he first appears in uniform.

- "Buckbeak's Flight" - Too great not to mention.

- "Adventures on Earth" - Nuthin' but the best.

There are others, but I could be a while at this, so. . . .

- Uni

P.S. This reminds me of my "JW Moments" thread all those years ago. . . . :wave:

A great moment in Journey to the Island is right after the helicopter lands and before the big final fanfare, the sync with Hammond clutching his cane. Williams was so into it.

I agree, it's a shame about the pimp though.

I was listening to the OST of Star Trek V the other day, and there's the bit at the end of 'Let's Get Out Of Here' when Spock is revealed in the gunner's chair and it plays a really warm version of the TMP theme. Warms the cockles. The same with the big swelling moment in 'The Mountain'.

That's a great moment.

Indeed it is man!

It's all about the preparation, that's why it works so well on an emotional level.

I agree, it's a shame about the pimp though.

I think the pimp is absolutely tremendous! :wave:

11160238.jpg68671664.jpg15396868.jpg

"Say Jim, Wooo!!!"

"Excuse Me"

"That's a bad outfit!"