The spine-tinglers and hair-raisers

You nailed it, steb (though you forgot the second "wooo"). Second best moment in that sequence--after the shirt reveal, which I could've included as third on my own Superman list--happens when the crowd first spots him (inspiring another one of the film's great lines: "What the hell is that?"). When the hero theme bursts in, there's just the slightest delay in the bass response, a brilliant moment of syncopation that's absolutely perfect.

- Uni

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You nailed it, steb (though you forgot the second "wooo").

Haha, you're right man ....but that's only because I didn't want to continue my photo montage ;)

Anyway, I think at that point I usually just want to kick and break stuff as I'm buzzin' so much! :wave:

and yes, that thick slice of bass Williams treats us to is nothing short of ....

salieri.jpg

"miraculous"

The "what the hell is that?" line is perfect. Nobody would have said "Look, up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane!" The reaction would be exactly as portrayed in Superman: The Movie.

The "what the hell is that?" line is perfect. Nobody would have said "Look, up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane!" The reaction would be exactly as portrayed in Superman: The Movie.

That's one of the elements that made the film one of my all-time favorites: it took the legend of Superman and placed in the real world. People behaved as people would. Even the villain didn't sit up in a high tower, rub his hands together, and laugh an evil laugh. He waited patiently to spring his clever plan while spouting pithy, intelligent aphorisms ("Why, you ask? Why does the phone always ring when you're in the bathtub?").

And while we're on the subject . . . what about quiet, subtle spine-tinglers? Do those count? For instance (scene and music):

"Oh, there you are, Peter!"

- Uni

Even the villain didn't sit up in a high tower, rub his hands together, and laugh an evil laugh. He waited patiently to spring his clever plan while spouting pithy, intelligent aphorisms ("Why, you ask? Why does the phone always ring when you're in the bathtub?").

Indeed ....but I think this might be my favourite Luthor moment :lol:

24208354.jpg

"Lex, my mother lives in Hackensack."

(Luthor checks his watch and shakes his head)

Wonderful!

If this is about Williams only, the only ones that qualify for that description would be the tracks that venture into his socalled religious/spiritual sound - stuff like "Angela's Prayer", "Face of Pan", "Restoration", "Meeting with Mao", "Final Duel", "Remembrances", "The Hatikva", "Window to the Past", "Star of Bethlehem", "Only the Penitant Will Pass" and so on. Also the "Journey to the Island" theme, if only a slightly more majestic variation.

Wow Thor those are some really great ones. Angela's Prayer is amazing and for me Remembrances was far more poignant than the main theme from Schindler's List, especially the B section. Whew I'm getting chills thinking about the music.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The panoramic shot of Indy and company trekking through the water with the elephants.

1:03-1:11 of Short Round's Theme to be exact.

IMO it's the ultimate "adventure is about happen" piece, and he doesn't even use the Raiders March.

"I love his trek music--I thought that was some of the most beautiful trek music I'd ever heard" (Y)

Like much of the film, I can't stand the sequence...but like much of the score, I absolutely love the cue. :D EDIT: And for me, the biggest spine-tingler in that cue is actually the segue into that cue from "The Child Returns." It would be even better if we had that cue clean and unedited, since they shortened the segue slightly in the film. Even so, it's amazing.

In "The Magic of Halloween" from E.T. with pretty much every second of music after Yoda's Theme.

"The Battle of Hoth" when Luke and Dack are in their Snowspeeder talking about taking on the empire and the point of the cue when things start to get totally out of control.

"Carbon Freeze" when Han is put into the carbonite chamber.

Luke's Death Star run and Biggs's death in "The Battle of Yavin".

"The Dark Side Beckons" during Luke and Vader's duel.

From Close Encounters of the Third Kind, "The Mountain" at the point where Roy and Gillian find Devil's Tower, "The Mothership" during the mothership's arrival, and "The Visitors/Bye/End Titles" when the mothership takes off.

"In the Idol's Temple" from Raiders during the rolling ball sequence.

"Finale" from Citizen Kane when Rosebud is revealed.

The aftermath of the murder scene in Taxi Driver.

"The Razor" from First Blood when Rambo starts kicking everyone's ass after his 'Nam flashback.

And many more that I don't feel like listing. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The quick transitionary renditions of Luke's theme when he travels from Dagobah to Bespin.

Luke's theme got better statements in the first two films than in Jedi (Barge lightsaber catch notwithstanding).

Yeah, ANH and ESB have some pretty sweet renditions of that theme. I'm sure it's already been mentioned, but I love when the stormtroopers appear on the other side of the chasm and Luke's theme is given that full, swashbuckling treatment. (The cue is, of course, called "The Swashbucklers"!) You never hear film music that's fun like that anymore.

Oh, God, YES! That bit is amazing, and it of course parallels the Superman statement in "Helicopter Rescue" and the Raiders statement in "The German Sub". They just don't have those "out of your seat and cheer" moments these days.

Seriously! I admit the Raiders example is actually not my favorite...that one feels just slightly too self-congratulatory to me, but still, it's fun stuff. The Superman example is great. (Which is perhaps ironic, because I think Raiders is overall a stronger score than Superman. :P)

The're so self-congratulatory. That's what makes them so great. For that matter, the E.T. flying theme from E.T.'s Halloween is part of this club. It's unsubtle, rip-roaring fun.

Yeah, what was that fool Williams thinking when he composed the Raiders March when Indy appears on the submarine! Really!

:rolleyes: It's not about what you say, it's about how you say it. Something about this particular statement is a little too pompous for my tastes.

Of course, I just listened to it and loved it, so what do I know? ;)

EDIT: But if it's big, celebratory statements of that theme you want, look no further than "Flight from Peru." What. A. Cue. I mean, all of the weird pizzicato stuff in the beginning is great, and then you get the orchestral action music going, including the first statement of the theme...and then moments later, you get what has got to be my favorite statement of that theme ever. And then does the cue end? No, we get to hear the B theme for the first time! Then you end with the gloriously academic-sounding ringing of chimes and piano. That whole freakin' cue is one big spine-tingler.

It doesn't hurt that the visuals it supports include the entire crew of the Bantu Wind saluting, cheering, and going nuts as the hero salutes them from the top of the Nazi sub. It's a giant musical F* YEAH!!!

Meh, still not my favorite. Better than any music most composers will ever write, sure, but still not up to par in the world of Williams. ;) Give me "Flight From Peru" any day.

Raiders has wore out its welcome too me, TOD hasnt though!

Towering Inferno Theme, has to be his best main titles ever (besides the Superman Main Titles):

Of the Inferno main titles? or The Nazi Hideout?

if its the Inferno Main Titles, I always preferred the section at 4:09

- I love how Dark's theme kicks in "Main Title" of Something Wicked This Way Comes after those few ominous piano chords. Truly bone-chilling. And the way "End Titles" concludes the album is a beautiful opposite to what opened it -- truly hair-raising music.

- The bombastic, Williams-esque theme of Island of Lost Souls, and the way Jane Antonia Cornish uses it throughout is just wonderful. "Soul Bridge/End Credits" is a wonderful capper.