Varese Sarabande releases Family Plot!

Frank Vincent

And not only that, they can also be a source for little factoids about the score and composer (and even the film itself).

• 3 years later...

I first heard the end titles from this score in the Universal Studios Florida Alfred Hitchcock: The Art of Making Movies attraction. The very end with the harpsichord is the best part. One of the coolest John Williams moments.

I remember watching the film and loving the score, especially the part where the lady in the wig first shows up (with the synth and harpsichord feature). I spent at least 30 minutes searching for the soundtrack online, and eventually learned that it didn't exist. I was devestated...and it eventually led me to JWFan :')

It's a wonderful album.

Karol

Yes! I think Williams enjoyed quite a bit his collaboration with Hitch. The music is infused with both playfulness and suspense in well balanced proportion. Which reminds me, I should give this one another spin today!

• 1 year later...

Love the "Main Titles" or "End Titles" or whatever it is that has been available on that old Hithcock compilation on Varese since, like, forever, so I naturally had high expectations when the soundtrack arrived. Well, I was terribly disappointed -- most of it is non-descript "sneaking around" music with tenuto strings and whatnot.

None of my repeated listenings have changed that first impression, but I still live in the hope.

Still, if you're a John Williams completist, you need to have this, and the above offer is a great way to fill a hole in your discography if you don't have it.

12 hours ago, Thor said:

Love the "Main Titles" or "End Titles" or whatever it is that has been available on that old Hithcock compilation on Varese since, like, forever, so I naturally had high expectations when the soundtrack arrived. Well, I was terribly disappointed -- most of it is non-descript "sneaking around" music with tenuto strings and whatnot.

I wonder what the heck I have been listening to as I don't recognize the score from your description. There is of course some sneaking around music (especially in the suspenseful finale) but most of the score is highly thematic and quite breezy and fun.

8 hours ago, Incanus said:

I wonder what the heck I have been listening to as I don't recognize the score from your description. There is of course some sneaking around music (especially in the suspenseful finale) but most of the score is highly thematic and quite breezy and fun.

Fascinating, isn't it? How the same score can be experienced in two so vastly different ways?

• 3 years later...
On 2/1/2016 at 6:31 AM, Incanus said:

So did you find out what you'd been listening to? :sarcasm:

And I on the other hand love every single cue in this score...while many others by Williams I would absolutely consider paring down to just highlights.

Family Plot is Top 10 Williams, for me.

Yavar

Outside the excellent main theme/end titles, I've never cared much for this score. But I was very thankful when it was finally released, filling an important hole, and $10 is a great deal. At least if you live in the US. With international shipping costs, it's not really much of a 'deal' anymore.

17 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

And I on the other hand love every single cue in this score...while many others by Williams I would absolutely consider paring down to just highlights.

Family Plot is Top 10 Williams, for me.

Yavar

I think it's a good listen if shortened to the length of an album. Unfortunately, this one never had an album and only the end titles were ever released, so we'll never know what JW would have intended for a listening experience. I suppose just the end titles.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
On 11/23/2010 at 12:24 PM, TownerFan said:

The Secret Ways

The Plainsman

The Rare Breed

Story of a Woman

The Screaming Woman

Pete 'n' Tillie

Earthquake

The Eiger Sanction

Midway

Dracula

Jaws 2

Five out of eleven in ten years. Not bad, but I doubt we'll get much more. The only one I consider a sure thing in one way or another, is The Eiger Sanction.

• 4 weeks later...

They practically had to give it away to reach that point.😥

Too bad because it's a really good score!

10 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Bummer, I only got five copies.

You might get as high as  five bucks each on the ' collectors market'

• 1 year later...