Varese Sarabande releases Family Plot!

Frank Vincent

This is an outrage!!! Once again Jerry Goldsmith fans are scorewed!!!! Where is my List of Adrian Messenger?!?!?!?!?!

This is ridiculous!!!! We've already had 3 Williams releases this year!!!!!

By god this will not go unpunished!!!!!

Yes, and one outstandind. Black Sunday is my single favourite CD album from this year. There are some new scores I liked this year. But that CD beats them all.

It's sounds good. Proto-Witches of Eastwick. I like it.

Karol

I am so pleased and so surprised! I ordered both Family Plot and Karate Kid. I also like the cover they did for FP.

To be honest, it is nice to see Goldsmith put on back burner and Williams get some love. I like that Adrian Messenger was such a shoe-in, and Varese surprised us all.

I have never heard a note of Family Plot, so I'm looking forward to it greatly.

I think I'd have to get this one out of principal if nothing else, having never heard a note of it before. But the samples sound really fun anyway.

And the Special Thanks credit to Neil S. Bulk on the back cover has not gone completely unnoticed. :unsure:

Ordered it is. (Along with The Karate Kid.)

So I calculate roughly 64 minutes, everyone happy with the run time?

Or are we gonna get a myriad of complaints once people start receiving it? ;)

Ordered! I'd never heard one note of this score, but let's see...limited complete release of a mid-70s Williams score that sounds awesome in the samples for a reasonable price...I can do the math. No brainer. It's a pity it won't ship till December 6th, especially because there's a chance I won't be here the week it arrives, but oh well. I can wait. I'm just happy to be one of the 5000. ;)

And if Hook gets a complete release soon...that's another $30 I won't have much difficulty parting with.

Great, great news!! A wonderful release indeed ;)

Now, this might put me in the jwfan leper colony but I'd much prefer a release of the original Midway than Hook ......but it's not gonna happen, so nobody panic ;)

Does this mean indy4 is finally going to leave us? ;)

This is wallet-rape on the part of all these companies! Looks like my family and friends will have to do without Christmas this year.

Now, this might put me in the jwfan leper colony but I'd much prefer a release of the original Midway than Hook ......but it's not gonna happen, so nobody panic ;)

Well, it appears Varèse is unearthing scores from Universal archives, so I guess it's not unlikely we'll might get this too in the not-too-distant future.

1941, Midway, Earthquake.......

Holy moly. Varèse goes Williams once more, at last. (Good that Mark O. is not a betting man!)

Finally they got this thing released. I remember there being more alternates on the boot, by the way, so don't throw anything away. Still, I know what I will be playing when receiving this treasure.

Notice I said "If". ;)

Goldsmith's score will probably be in one the upcoming batches for 2011, assuming nothing was lost or damaged beyond repair.

So what's left... Gremlins, TMP... anything else?

A bunch of stuff.

With FIRST BLOOD coming out tomorrow and at least one major Williams/Goldsmith effort by Lalaland, i will order a physical CD package, a thing which hasn't happened for a long time. That leaves only DRACULA as major Williams release interest for me (if it's not HOOK).

There are so many scores that need to see a release or re-issue, in either an expanded or complete form. Some old releases could use remastering, and some may have to be recorded again. Granted some are damaged beyond repair or missing elements and may never be found.

But there is still quite a bit out there that still needs to come out in a proper presentation.

Isn't there a Poltegeist thing coming too?

Yes.

I believe Lukas mentioned mid-December. Or at least he was hoping for that date.

I don't want to break the party, but the samples didn't sound very encouraging to me. I think I will take my time with ordering this one. I'd prefer they rereleased Eiger Sanction.

I don't want to break the party, but the samples didn't sound very encouraging to me. I think I will take my time with ordering this one. I'd prefer they rereleased Eiger Sanction.

If I were you, I would order it while you have the chance.

The samples are in a low bit rate. I think KM said 160? Film scores encoded at that low of a rate it will sound terrible even for samples such as these.

Prospective buyers use more than just "sound quality" to judge samples. Maybe they don't like the melody or overall sound impressions they're getting. Really great music will shine through poorly sounding audio samples on a website.

I'm also on the fence about this. I can't get into the footwarmer I have and I don't give a rat's patooty about sound quality. I hear passages of choir that sound like Hook, passages of tension that sound like Black Sunday, and no real noticeable themes to write home about. Dear Mom...

Is this a really great John Williams score?

Or is it an average John Williams score that achieved greatness by being unobtainable for 34 years?

If I were you, I would order it while you have the chance.

The samples are in a low bit rate. I think KM said 160? Film scores encoded at that low of a rate it will sound terrible even for samples such as these.

What I meant, it didn't sound like a music I'm interested in. I'll probably check it out this way or another, just out of sheer curiosity, but at the moment I have plenty of other priority purchases to make.

This is excellent news. I think it's a fun movie too, certainly one of the most accessible of Hitchcock's later oeuvre.

This is wallet-rape on the part of all these companies! Looks like my family and friends will have to do without Christmas this year.

The correct approach is to order the CDs you want then, when said friends and family ask you what you want for Christmas, exchange unopened CDs for the appropriate amount of cash thereby saving your nearest and dearest the time and stress of shopping for you in the current economic climate. They will be eternally grateful for your consideration and foresight. Problem solved.

;)

It's a good/better than average John Williams score for Alfred Hitchcock's last film and it has never been officially released in full form.

not on mine, that's for sure. If you generally like JW's 70's-80's music you can't go wrong with this. Having "The First Seance" in stereo is worth the price of the c.d. alone for me . I remember recording that section from the film ever since the VHS

So who of you have seen the actual film?

To be perfectly honest, I found it rather silly and lackluster....definitely a far cry from Hitch in his prime.

But we got a Williams score out of it, and he got to work with the legendary director, so that's something.

Yeah, and a certain S.Spielberg,esq. got booted off of the set, because he annoyed Hitch. That'll teach him. ;)

1941, Midway, Earthquake.......

Holy moly. Varèse goes Williams once more, at last. (Good that Mark O. is not a betting man!)

Finally they got this thing released. I remember there being more alternates on the boot, by the way, so don't throw anything away. Still, I know what I will be playing when receiving this treasure.

Notice I said "If". ;)

Goldsmith's score will probably be in one the upcoming batches for 2011, assuming nothing was lost or damaged beyond repair.

So what's left... Gremlins, TMP... anything else?

A bunch of stuff.

The rights to "1941" might have reverted back to Columbia/Sony.

I sincerely hope the specialty labels will also continue to search into Williams' older repertoire and release such little unknown gems like The Rare Breed, Pete 'n' Tillie, The Screaming Woman and Story of a Woman.

Lukas said they tried to release Pete 'n' Tillie awhile back and there were no surviving masters. Maybe one day it'll get a rerecording, but definitely not anytime soon.

FUCK YES!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

:P

I sincerely hope the specialty labels will also continue to search into Williams' older repertoire and release such little unknown gems like The Rare Breed, Pete 'n' Tillie, The Screaming Woman and Story of a Woman.

Lukas said they tried to release Pete 'n' Tillie awhile back and there were no surviving masters. Maybe one day it'll get a rerecording, but definitely not anytime soon.

No, that was Daddy's Gone A-Hunting. FSM searched for that, but tapes are lost so far.

I've never been too keen on Family Plot, but it's certainly good that it's finally released. Will definitely pick it up; I wonder how long the 5,000 copies last, but at least I won't have to fear while I'm waiting for the upcoming Intradas.

Eiger Sanction is a cool score, but having both old releases, I'd prefer a new Dracula first.

Yaaay! :D Ordered, together with 20th Century Fox: 75 Years of Great Film Music. Glad to see Varese release another Williams after quite some time. Hope they do it again soon, Eiger Sanction might be a good candidate. :P

BTW, anybody have any idea whether or not Poltergeist and First Blood will be limited and if yes, to how many copies? :D

Yaaay! :D Ordered, together with 20th Century Fox: 75 Years of Great Film Music. Glad to see Varese release another Williams after quite some time. Hope they do it again soon, Eiger Sanction might be a good candidate. :P

BTW, anybody have any idea whether or not Poltergeist and First Blood will be limited and if yes, to how many copies? :D

As far as I know First Blood will be an MAF, so unlimited. Hopefully Poltergeist will be the same.

I'm wondering about the status of Poltergeist too. The original album was re-released earlier this year. It might be limited after all...

Karol - who will buy it anyway.

Probably the only thing that remains from "Pete 'n' Tillie" is a recording of "Love's The Only game In Town", by carol Burnett.

There are so many scores that need to see a release or re-issue, in either an expanded or complete form. Some old releases could use remastering, and some may have to be recorded again. Granted some are damaged beyond repair or missing elements and may never be found.

But there is still quite a bit out there that still needs to come out in a proper presentation.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. There are NO scores that currently already have soundtrack releases that I feel need another release (well, I COULD do with ABBREVIATED album versions of stuff like GUIDE FOR THE MARRIED MAN etc., but that's a pipe dream).

I much rather want premiere releases of completely unreleased scores, if it is at all possible. There's a whole bunch of them.

Probably the only thing that remains from "Pete 'n' Tillie" is a recording of "Love's The Only game In Town", by carol Burnett.

Walter Matthau did a recording as well. But apparently the score is very short. You might be able to fit all three of JW's scores for Martin Ritt on one CD.

I've never heard anything but End Title before. The first clip made me almost

cry, this is great, what are you guys talking about" not interested"...!

The main title is indeed beautiful.

The rest of the samples... meh. And I have waaay too much stuff to listen to already.

Just like clockwork: I go out of town for a couple of days and there's a major release announced! Good thing I've got reliable internet. Ordered, after wrestling my checkbook down and smacking it around a bit.

John- who can't believe that the first posts about such a huge release are bitching about thread ethics

Does this mean indy4 is finally going to leave us? :D

:P Sorry, you're stuck with me! If anything, this release will just reinforce my love for soundtracks and John Williams, and cause me to post here more often.

But seriously, if anybody is on the fence I cannot recommend this enough. The entire reason I joined JWFan was to get a quasi-petition going for Family Plot that I could send to Varese, Intrada, FSM, etc (at that time I was new to soundtracks and didn't understand that these labels were well aware of the demand for unreleased Williams scores). This has been my highest Holy Grail since I saw the film, even when we were living off a 30 minute Temple of Doom OST. It's unique, accessible, beautiful, fun, and creepy. It features instruments that Williams doesn't regularly use - ie harpsichords and synths, as well as his usual fare (which includes a gorgeous female choir). I guarantee that a lot of the music from this score is not something you can find in other Williams scores. And if the music doesn't interest you, it's historically pretty important - Williams only collaboriation with Hitchock and Hitchock's last film, yes, but it also features Williams' father in a timpani-heavy action cue.

It's a wonderful score. I first heard the theme in the montage that began the show Alfred Hitchcock: The Art of Making Movies at Universal Studios Florida. I know that "best of" was posted onto YouTube at some point. Anyway, I heard the theme years later on a Varese Hitchcock compilation and the CD Alfred Hitchcock Presents...Signatures in Suspense. Loved it (although the Varese version isn't very good--Prague's is better), saw the movie and enjoyed it. If you've never heard it, blind-buy. You're in for a treat.

By the way, KM, a couple months ago you were completely miserable because of Poseidon Adventure in stereo (or fake stereo, with mono finale not as advertised :P), SpaceCamp without the 30 second fanfare and the Music of America set that was comprised of all previously released material. I think it's been a pretty great year. Poseidon and SpaceCamp, which I'd desired and never owned, Sony's dirt-cheap compilation with the bitchin' Memoirs of a Geisha suite, Black Sunday, Family Plot, that 20th Century Fox set with a couple tracks I want, all these announcements of new Spielberg movies with confirmed and probable Williams scores, and Harry Potter. There was even that TV show score if you so desired, though I'm certainly passing.