Varese Sarabande releases Family Plot!

Frank Vincent

This is BS. I ordered on Day 1 and still no shipping confirmation?

I ordered mine at 6:30am on the day of the announcement and mine didn't ship until this past Friday. They've always been slow to ship if you don't order as soon as they are announced.

I've been buying from Varese for years and I've always gotten their packages in a timely fashion. And of course for Family Plot, my ultimate Grail, they decide to delay shipping a week?

EDIT: Nevermind - it shipped!!!!! :D

So it sounds very good. Typical of the era. Hissy and some weird shit going on at points. I was reminded of Jaws, actually. But I didn't expect it to sound much better. I'm glad it wasn't released in mono. The fake stereo is convincing enough.

Got mine today. The front of the booklet is all stained and marked up. :(

Email Varèse and see if they can send you a replacement booklet.

Good idea, are they normally pretty cool about stuff like that?

Yes, I'm sort of in the middle myself when it comes to KOTCS. Sort of.

Man, listen how much better the End Titles sound than on the Hitchcock CD. Holy shit. Worth $25 just for that.

Yes, I'm sort of in the middle myself when it comes to KOTCS. Sort of.

That's why you get the sticky residue but not the weird yellow color.

If this is based on KotCS appreciation, then I'll probably get a 2nd CD with Williams' alternate score. :lol:

"...Family Plot, Midway and The Missouri Breaks - were, like Jaws, made for Universal. It is a mystery worthy of Hitchcock that the latter title was the only one to receive an album release, with neither of the other scores materializing as full albums in their original recordings for more than three decades. With Family Plot, this noteworthy gap in Williams' discography has at last been addressed."

I had similar impressions from other Mattesino liner notes. How to Steal a Million ended with a shot from the movie of Audrey in bed reading the Hitchcock book, which made me think of Family Plot. SpaceCamp and Home Alone generously mention Hook. I think that's coming next year. It's all signs, you see.

Got my shipping notice today. I'll look forward to listening to this in January...I won't be at the place where it's shipping to till then. :P

That must suck.

I will suffer the same fate it seems, that is not being here when it arrives. I am leaving for holidays, 600 km away so I do hope it arrives before next week. But yes, if it does not arrive in time, it most certainly will suck.

Got my shipping notice today. I'll look forward to listening to this in January...I won't be at the place where it's shipping to till then. :P

That must suck.

Nah...I mean, it would have been nice to get it before I left, but I've got other stuff to listen to, and since my roommate is still there, I don't have to worry about it getting stolen off the doorstep or anything.

I had similar impressions from other Mattesino liner notes. How to Steal a Million ended with a shot from the movie of Audrey in bed reading the Hitchcock book, which made me think of Family Plot. SpaceCamp and Home Alone generously mention Hook. I think that's coming next year. It's all signs, you see.

Or is it just wishful thinking? ;) Gee, with all the trouble I read concerning booklets, I hope I receive a nice and impeccable copy ... :blink:

Yeah, I'm a bit anal about the condition of my booklets too. My copy arrived, but it is to be a Christmas present for me, and so I haven't opened it. Maybe I should, if only to check the booklet.

by booklet has the fingerprint of someone.

not worth a booklet change though :lol:

it looks like someone was eating KFC while he was assembling the c.d.'s

I got the shipping notice from MM, but being in NM, it'll take a week to arrive. With the weather, it'll take longer. I can wait.

If you knew how many CDs I've received but haven't even removed the shrink wrap, you'd think there was something else wrong with me.

Listening to the score now... it sounds great! And my, that "Stonecutter" is some funky stuff!

Also, take note—I don't know if this has been fixed yet or not, but when I got the track info from the CDDB, track 19 was just "The Secret Door", when it should be "The Secret Door / Blanche Wakes Up".

I'm keeping my booklet as-is. My Home Alone 2 book was bent in half from being stuffed in my back pocket when attempting to get an autograph from JW. This was before I carried a purse. But I put it between some giant books and it looks fine now.

My favorite tracks are still The First Seance and the End Titles.

I can't wait to hear "The Mystery Woman." That's the cue that made me decide as I watched the film that I would pay whatever it cost to acquire the soundtrack. That was before I knew it was unreleased.

I am curious .

Why did Williams use the theme in "Family Plot Theme" (that pop cue) only in parts of The First Seance and nowhere else in the score?

It's my favorite FP theme and would have like more romantic orchestral versions in the score

My second favorite cue after The First Seance is Blanche's Challenge with the neat clarinet solos

And there this awesome little bit from 0.45 to 1.07 in Kitchen Pranks. I love it when Williams puts this kind of bass line to underline a theme, that must be his most trademark goosebump inducing technique (right there at 0.58)