Varese Sarabande releases Family Plot!

Frank Vincent

The true string of JW classic scores started in 1975 and ended in 1982.

1975 Jaws

1977 SW

1977 CE3K

1978 Superman

1980 ESB

1981 Raiders

1982 E.T.

Later, Williams wrote other genuine classics (JP, SL, HP&SS), but the succession of the aforementioned scores within a 7 year time period is an achievement extraordinaire.

ROTJ and TOD aren't near as good or distinctive. Those scores didn't win any prices and its themes didn't embed themselves into modern culture the way the other scores did. It just seems E.T. was really the summit of his classic-after-classic output.

I can agree to that. I would say that TOD is quite close to Raiders in terms of the quality of the music, but you're absolutely right that it didn't have the pop culture impact that Raiders did. I suppose that's fine...that's how most sequels work.

Er, then again, he wrote the Imperial March for ESB...I take it back! :P

I think TOD and ROTJ belong on that list. I don't really care about pop culture impact, but they're both fucking great scores. And better than the other three mentioned.

Edit: Sorry, that wasn't supposed to be as aggressive as that sounds.

Well, you see, I think most of you misunderstood my initial comment. I never said the stuff from 80's is not brilliant. But from the historical point of view most of these were less important than JW's works from late 70's. I'm not talking about music as such. Memorability has nothing to do with it and I can hardly question the familiarity of both E.T. and Raiders. But if you look at it from the technical point of view Jaws was a massive artistic achievement, Close Encounters is brilliant as anything composed in the 20th Century (and yes, I'm talking about classical music as well). And without Star Wars we wouldn't be even here! When you look at Raiders, on the other hand, it doesn't have that much of an impact. It's "just" an awesome and memorable adventure score.

On top of that, I just happen to prefer his 70's style. Even his less "iconic" scores from that time. It's as simple as that.

Karol

Well, you see, I think most of you misunderstood my initial comment. I never said the stuff from 80's is not brilliant. But from the historical point of view most of these were less important than JW's works from late 70's. I'm not talking about music as such. Memorability has nothing to do with it and I can hardly question the familiarity of both E.T. and Raiders. But if you look at it from the technical point of view Jaws was a massive artistic achievement, Close Encounters is brilliant as anything composed in the 20th Century (and yes, I'm talking about classical music as well). And without Star Wars we wouldn't be even here! When you look at Raiders, on the other hand, it doesn't have that much of an impact. It's "just" an awesome and memorable adventure score.

All I really look for in music is "awesome." If it's also "important", that's great, but a lot of the music I like isn't.

And I'd argue that Raiders is more important than CE3K. Although I could be biased, seeing as how I enjoy the latter approximately a hundred times more.

nope ,Raiders,ESB,ToD and E.T. aren't second rate to Superman and Star Wars and CE3K

CE3K is a bit overrated too

"CE3K..overrated" Ah, the direct approach: I admire that from a man in a mask.

The true string of JW classic scores started in 1975 and ended in 1982.

1975 Jaws

1977 SW

1977 CE3K

1978 Superman

1980 ESB

1981 Raiders

1982 E.T.

Later, Williams wrote other genuine classics (JP, SL, HP&SS), but the succession of the aforementioned scores within a 7 year time period is an achievement extraordinaire.

ROTJ and TOD aren't near as good or distinctive. Those scores didn't win any prices and its themes didn't embed themselves into modern culture the way the other scores did. It just seems E.T. was really the summit of his classic-after-classic output.

Oi!!! :o You forgot "1941"!!

Still no shipping notice. My status is "ordered".

The suspense is killing me. Even in his death and in the releasing of a score he has nothing to do with, Hitchcock is the master.

All I really look for in music is "awesome."

All I really look for in music is the values underpinning it. ;)

Out of curiosity, when did you place your order? I placed my order on Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 9:48 AM, and have received no shipping notice email, and if I log into varese's website, the status is still "Ordered"

I'd have to check the exact time when I get home. It doesn't say on the website but I'm sure I ordered it between 9:00 am and 11:00 am Central.

I also used paypal, for what it's worth. Since they've switched to the new site my orders have been getting here really quick.

I just looked up my order acknowledgment email, thats how i knew the time

Hmmm yea its possible they process paypal orders before credit card orders i guess

I can't access my acknowledgment e-mail, I'm at work.

I think some people at FSM had mentioned they used paypal and got their orders really fast. In the past, on the old site, it may have taken a few days past the actual shipping date before my order shipped, even if I ordered it early in the morning on the day of release.

I don't know if paypal really makes a difference or if they ship the orders in certain groups by zip codes or time zones etc etc..

the most I waited for a c.d. was about 5 weeks .It happened with the Indy Box

hope this makes it before X-mas or at least some MP3's show up while we wait

SAE account still shows PENDING but on the other hand they do update those things pretty late. I think I got one package (I live in Finland) before I got the shipping confirmation. But it is still taking irritatingly long now, especially when SAE has them in stock. I pre-ordered this on the 22nd of November. It is the holiday madness that is wreaking havoc on specialty labels' resources to mail this stuff to us fast enough. :P

You're losing interest, old man.

I think the "old man" sums it up the most.

I had a busy day at work, ran some errands on the way home, ate dinner, looked at my mail and ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz...

You're losing interest, old man.

I think the "old man" sums it up the most.

I had a busy day at work, ran some errands on the way home, ate dinner, looked at my mail and ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz...

It's not the years, it's the mileage. ;)

I got my shipping confirmation on the 7th.

Hopefully it'll be in my hands today or tomorrow then.

Mine was shipped yesterday. Hope it arrives soon as I'm leaving for England on Thursday next week!

I'm sure it'll be there to you before you leave next Thursday.

The Emperor does not share your optimistic appraisal of the situation. ;)

You guys are impatient.

Perhaps, but I know people who have waited much longer for Varese CDs. I don't know what their story is. They must have a smaller staff or something.

I got shipping notice, finally. There is hope for the world.