Which 5 tracks sum up John Williams?

Naïve Old Fart

Hello, all,

I have been invited to a friend's house for the New Year, and he (and his wife) has asked me to bring along 5 pieces of music that sum up J.W., as he knows that I am a long-time fan, and he wants to "get into" J.W.'s music. I could simply take along my 5 favourites, which are: "The Towering Inferno" Main Title, "The Stars Move", "Turning back The World", "Gloria", and "The Seduction Of Suki, and The Ballroom scene" I understand that this would be a personal choice, and, as such, may not be able to encapsulate his career.

Has anyone got any suggestions for 5 absolutely blow-yer-bollocks-off tracks?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adventure on Earth

Barnstorming/Arrival of the Mother Ship/The Pilots' Return/The Visitors/Final Scene

Man Against Beast

Prelude and Main Title (original version)

The Throne Room and End Title

Well, that's obviously nowhere near enough.

Hmmmmm....good topic.

I would perhaps say something like this:

1. "Guide for the Married Man" from GUIDE FOR THE MARRIED MAN - the Turtles song version, to prove his hand in light jazz or pop music in the 60's

2. "The Killing of Marcel" from IMAGES - to show his capability of the dissonant and modernistic...either that or some of his concert work, like the flute concerto

3. "The Throne Room and End Credits" from STAR WARS - to show his famous ability for fanfaric, neoromantic music

4. "Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra" from THE LAST CRUSADE - to show his approach to action setpieces

5. "Jane Eyre Theme" or "Restoration" from JANE EYRE - to show his grasp of the pastoral and/or religious music, which is the primary reason for why he is my favourite film composer - this is THE quintessential Williams, IMO, not the action stuff.

Very difficult to choose just five, since he's had such a multi-faceted career in so many different expressions.

Haha impossible task! I would say

Escape/Chase/Saying Goodbye (Adventures on Earth)

Desert Chase

Remembrances

Remembering Childhood

Rebel Fleet/End Title

If anything, that finale from E.T. MUST be included. Incomparable.

those aren't the right choices to get someone "into" John Williams music

I disagree. I think they showcase his breadth and different styles, and then whoever they are being played for can choose the style he or she prefers. Some people are allergic to the typical Williams, but would maybe latch onto something like his 60's stuff or modernistic things.

Plus, it covers the basics of his whole career, so they become representative.

- Adventures on Earth

- Hell's Kitchen

- Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra (the Spielberg/Williams Collaboration version, great choice, BTW, Thor), or Everybody Runs!

- Angela's Prayer (or Arlington)

- Theme from Sabrina

Impossible with only 5 tracks, no place for his jazzy roots...

1) Journey to the Island (Jurassic Park) Beautiful, uplifting epic music with perfect bridges and small side motifes

2) Schindlers List (Schindlers List) Perfect sad and dramatic showpiece

3) The Basket Chase - Wiiliams on Williams Arrangement (Raiders of the Lost Ark) Wonderful, playful action setpiece

4) Close Encounters Excerpts (Close Encounters of the Third Kind) Dissonant music with perfect buildup till the fanfaric Finale

5) Throne Room and End Title (Star Wars) JW typical fanfares in the propably best track for it

Missing are here mainly Jazz, Choral, Subtle, Foreign, Exotic stuff, with another 5 tracks i would add

6) Hymn to the Fallen (Saving Private Ryan) or Gloria (Monsignor) epic chorus

7) Cantina Band (Star Wars) jazzy funpiece

8) The Raptors Appear (The Lost World) exotic and dark

9) Secrets of the Castle (Prizoner of Azkaban) subtle

10) Sayuri's Theme and End Credits (Memoirs of a Geisha) foreign music/ asian flavour

Maybe I misunderstood the first post. I thought this was about what cues are representative of the composer's career - including all his musical faces and expressions - not 5 good tracks we happen to like by him that we would play for someone else?

Off the top of my head:

The Asteroid Field

Love Theme From Superman

Theme From Jane Eyre

E.T.'S Adventure On Earth

A Second Chance - The Accidental Tourist

Thanks for all your suggestions, people. I'm getting "Adventures On Earth" a lot, which I will probably include, although I think that Thor's 5 are particularly interesting. I might play either "Blood Moon", or "In Search Of Unicorns",to show J.W.'s versatility.

I suppose that Star Wars has to be represented, so I'll take along "The Asteroid Field".

"Gloria" will probably stay, because it is something J.W. doesn't do that often: full-blown choral music. "The Seduction Of Suki..." will get a play, because I think that it is the most beautiful thing I have ever heard to bear the name John Williams, and "The Stars Move" will stay, because it is my absolute favourite piece by J.W. (strange, I know, but there it is).

1) Summon the Heroes

2) "Adventures on Earth" from E.T.

3) "Epilogue" from The Fury

4) "Temple Destroyed/Illumination/End Credits" from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

5) "Star of Bethlehem" (orchestral) from Home Alone

... Okay, that totally turned into a favorites list. And I didn't even get to "The Land Rush", or Superman, or Star Wars...

"The Ballroom Scene" is a great choice as well.

I think that would be the center pieces of his 4 Oscar-winning scores, plus Harry Potter (which also includes a slight comedic element, to wit the Chris Columbus element):

1. Main Title from Jaws

2. Star Wars: Throne Room and End Titles

3. Adventures on Earth

4. Theme from Schindler's List

5. Harry's Wondrous World

I wouldn't pick anything too iconic (ie Theme from Jaws) because I'm sure your friend has already heard them. I would also consider trying to make a nice listening experience first, demonstrate Williams' versatility second (meaning I'd leave tracks from Images out). You can demonstrate Williams' versatility in subtler, more listener-friendly selections. Images is great, but only after you've been exposed to enough Williams music to appreciate its uniqueness.

I'd go with the cues that are almost universally considered to be great (but again, not so well known that he would have already heard them). I'd pick:

The Land Race

Fawkes the Phoenix

The Cowboys Overture

A Second Chance

Adventures on Earth

(In that order.)

I'm ashamed to say, I had to Google "The Stars Move". Is that the same as the "Light Show" track on the Arista CD of CE3K?

Sorry about that. It IS "Light Show". I must have been thinking of the CE3K boot. Still brilliant, though.

I wouldn't pick anything too iconic (ie Theme from Jaws) because I'm sure your friend has already heard them. I would also consider trying to make a nice listening experience first, demonstrate Williams' versatility second (meaning I'd leave tracks from Images out). You can demonstrate Williams' versatility in subtler, more listener-friendly selections. Images is great, but only after you've been exposed to enough Williams music to appreciate its uniqueness.

I'd go with the cues that are almost universally considered to be great (but again, not so well known that he would have already heard them). I'd pick:

The Land Race

Fawkes the Phoenix

The Cowboys Overture

A Second Chance

Adventures on Earth

(In that order.)

I take your point about the stuff from "Images". That score is the Marmite of J.W: you either love it, or you hate it.

"The Cowboys": now that's an idea...

I might sneak in something "loungey" from "Penelope", or even "Boxing Montage" - man, I love that track.

1. Theme From Star Wars (album combo of Main title and end title).

2. Love Theme From Superman

3. The Miracle Of The Ark

4. Crimebuster

5. Adventures On Earth

"The Miracle Of The Ark" is a very good suggestion, but what's "Crimebuster"?

4. Crimebuster

5. Adventures On Earth

It's from Heartbeeps. I put it there as an example of JW's brilliance in melody even when using an unfamiliar style/medium (electronics).

4. Crimebuster

5. Adventures On Earth

It's from Heartbeeps. I put it there as an example of JW's brilliance in melody even when using an unfamiliar style/medium (electronics).

I'm ashamed to say that I have had "Heartbeeps" since it was released, but have never listened to it in its entirety (wishes there was a "hangs-head-in-shame" emoticon). I'll give it a spin a.s.a.p.

Are you implying that is, somehow, a dull, bad, or inferior score? "TAT" is in my all-time top-10 J.W. scores, but, I agree; it wouldn't exactly "turn" anyone, would it? A lot of his less commercial scores are an acquired taste.

I agree. These days, I FAR prefer Williams' calmer stuff than the rambunctious adventure things.

Are you implying that is, somehow, a dull, bad, or inferior score? "TAT" is in my all-time top-10 J.W. scores, but, I agree; it wouldn't exactly "turn" anyone, would it? A lot of his less commercial scores are an acquired taste.

I agree. These days, I FAR prefer Williams' calmer stuff than the rambunctious adventure things.

I'm with you there, Thor. As good as his stuff is, it just seems that, when it comes to the BIG stuff (Star Wars Indiana Jones, etc.) you have heard it all before...usually done a lot better. That's why I love "POA", and "Minority Report", because they are a little bit different to what had gone before. Add to that, mold-breaking scores like "A.I.", and "Rosewood", and you've got yourself a nice collection of truly original, and forward-looking scores, that do not try to sound like certain contemporary composers. Now, if he composed a score around "Heartwood", that would be well worth listening to.

On the contrary, TAT is my all-time favourite John Williams score. That and STANLEY & IRIS, PRESUMED INNOCENT, STEPMOM, NIXON and MEMOIRS OF GEISHA.

On the contrary, TAT is my all-time favourite John Williams score. That and STANLEY & IRIS, PRESUMED INNOCENT, STEPMOM, NIXON and MEMOIRS OF GEISHA.

Glad you like "TAT", but that is exactly Thor's, and my point: when people think of John Williams, they don't think of the films that you have just mentioned, they think of his popular stuff. Personally, I hate it when someone says to me: "oh, yeah, I'm a F***NG HUGE Williams fan!", but can't identify "Miles On Wheels" (!). Yeah, right; go back to your frat party, you gorilla. I would love to take along scores like the ones mentioned, but, for now, I need to sell John Williams, and if it means playing "Adventures On Earth", rather than "Blood Moon", then so be it.

On a personal note, why exactly, is "TAT", your number 1?

Always has been. I prefer the gentler side to John Williams' music than the bombast stuff. Everyone knows here that I love the contemporary classical music of JW. TAT has been a personal favourite of mine since I saw the movie in 1988 and having the score on cassette tape (which I still have).

Well, my argument is that his blockbuster scores have the gentler/romantic/tragic stuff as well. I think there's an intimacy to E.T. that is unmatched. I prefer a more well-rounded score, though there are obviously exceptions. Angela's Ashes is good, for instance, but it can get a bit tiresome.

- Main Title from Jaws

- Star Wars: Throne Room and End Titles

- Adventures on Earth

- Raiders March

- Flight to Neverland

If I had to burn 5 tracks for a friend who wants to get into John Williams, I wouldn't give him my personal 5 favorites, or his 5 most well known cues/themes, or the 5 most popular, etc. I'd make it diverse so get into as many different areas of his work as you can within the limitations of 5 tracks. Therefore I wouldn't include both the Raider's March and the Star Wars theme, since they are too similar (to someone not familiar with film scores or JW at all, I mean). So I guess I'd go with:

1. Rescue Of The Princess from Star Wars

2. Love Theme from Superman

3. Journey to The Island from Jurassic Park

4. Theme From Schindler's List

5. Fawkes The Phoenix from Chamber Of Secrets

Damn, that isn't as diverse as I thought it would be. This is hard.

Hmmm, I feel like most of the lists here are lacking in Williams more subtle works(Geisha, List, Tourist, etc.) They seem to be focusing only on Williams' bigger works. I don't think that's really appropriate. I think both Star Wars and ET, for example, are amazing masterpieces, but they both have the same bombast and romantic qualities, imo. It's a bit redundant.

I agree, Taikimochi.

I recently made an iTunes playlist of Williams' tracks in the spiritual/religious mode, my favourite sound of his (NOT the action stuff). Some good picks there, I think:

http://www.celluloidtunes.net/non-website/religioussound.jpg

I didn't read any of the posts, for fear of inspiration. Here are the five tracks I would bring:

"Star Wars" main title (Episode IV version)

Escape/Chase/Saying Goodbye from "ET"

Auschwitz/Birkenau from "Schindler's List"

A Prayer for Peace from "Munich"

The Clash of Lightsabers from "The Empire Strikes Back"

These tracks would be picked on the assumption that the person asking me to pick the cues has never heard of John Williams before. If that is not the case (i.e. he knows of Williams' popular scores), I would replace only the "Star Wars" main title with Confluence from "Memoirs of a Geisha."

I agree, Taikimochi.

I recently made an iTunes playlist of Williams' tracks in the spiritual/religious mode, my favourite sound of his (NOT the action stuff). Some good picks there, I think:

http://www.celluloidtunes.net/non-website/religioussound.jpg

E.T. and Me is sort of along those lines and better than most of those tracks.

1) Flight to Neverland from Hook (concert version 1996)

2) March from Superman

3) The Asteroid Field from Empire Strikes Back

4) Theme from Schindler's List

5) Theme from Jurassic Park

What kind of music is your friend into? That's important to consider, you want to try and tailor your choices to his tastes. Is he into film scores, or orchestral music at all?

Here are my choices with some descriptions that come to mind when I think of these cues:

1) Theme from Sabrina (subtle beauty)

2) Rebel Fleet/End Title (epic romance)

3) Journey to the Island (grand humility)

4) End Credits from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (pensive adventure)

5) Fawkes the Phoenix (playful magic)

Adventures on Earth or equivalent would make the list if I could have a six-way tie for first.

1: Superman March (Alternate)

2: Marcus Captured OR Keeping Up With The Joneses

3: Shorty Helps Out OR Saving Willie

4: The Raptor Attack (In The Kitchen)

5: The Levitation/Threepio's Bedtime Story

What kind of music is your friend into? That's important to consider, you want to try and tailor your choices to his tastes. Is he into film scores, or orchestral music at all?

Good question! He'll listen to most stuff, but he's mostly into 70s "Prog Rock" (Genesis, Yes, E.L.P., King Crimson, Focus, etc.). He has a few soundtracks, but I seriously doubt that he listens to them anything near regularly.

Good question! He'll listen to most stuff, but he's mostly into 70s "Prog Rock" (Genesis, Yes, E.L.P., King Crimson, Focus, etc.). He has a few soundtracks, but I seriously doubt that he listens to them anything near regularly.

Interesting. In that case, maybe Zimmer is more up his alley than Williams, since Zimmer draws much from that tradition himself.