La-La Land Announces Star Trek V (Complete)

Ollie

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ordered!

Now I want it in my hands. And in my CD player. And on my computer. And on my iPod. :lol:

I'm guessing on past experience it'll show up here on Monday. I never seem to get these by the weekend to enjoy them on my time off. Oh well. As long as I get them.

Thanks again, LaLaLand Records!

I don't need no stinkin' samples! So ordered, through SAE so I could ask for my replacement Spacecamp disc with it too.

By the way, I sure hope that prick Neil S. Bulk had something to do with this release!

ORDERED!

Ordered!

Ordered. :lol:

Ordered.

Ordered.

Ordered

Ordered.

I don't need no stinkin' samples! So ordered, through SAE so I could ask for my replacement Spacecamp disc with it too.

Same here, though I forgot to put it in the comments field. Remembered immediately after clicking the submit button (while the page was still loading) and sent them an email.

I never bring this up and I've never seen it brought up, but has it ever been noted how the Busy Man theme and Moriconne's Good, the Bad and the Ugly are similar? The guitar motif.

The film version of the cue is a lot better. It's not a bad piece of source music, but it's horribly overproduced.

I've seen the film once (and again with the Shat DVD commentary), so I'm not too familiar with it. I look forward to hearing the film version (and, y'know, the rest of the score!). Which, by the way, I just...

Ordered!

Listening the sample...

Once again, is there a better mixed soundtrack in existence? This is a 21 year old recording, and it sounds more crisp, rich, detailed, and accurate than anything before and anything after.

I love the samples !!!

The film version of the cue is a lot better. It's not a bad piece of source music, but it's horribly overproduced.

I've seen the film once (and again with the Shat DVD commentary), so I'm not too familiar with it. I look forward to hearing the film version (and, y'know, the rest of the score!). Which, by the way, I just...

Ordered!

Cool. I agree, the mix is great !!!

I never bring this up and I've never seen it brought up, but has it ever been noted how the Busy Man theme and Moriconne's Good, the Bad and the Ugly are similar? The guitar motif.

That is really just in your head. The bridge from the busy man theme strongly resembles the one from Alex North's AGONY AND ECSTACY, though. Which seems plausible, given the relation between the two men.

Ordered JADE, STAR TREK V and HOME ALONE. Happy days are here again. :) At least I can use the new HOME ALONE disc as a coffee coaster. There's a hole in the old coaster (RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK) where there shouldn't be a hole.

I've actually never listened to a Star Trek score outside of the movie (with the exception of Giacchino's) . . . I just never got around to ordering II or III, so I'm pretty excited to get my hands on this one.

The samples sound amazing, can't wait! :D

"Plot Course" sounds a like Dennis The Menace in one part... :)

Yeah that's one of those cues that I've always wanted. Don't know why, but Publicist agrees with me, but there's just something about that scene when Kirk sits in his chair and it starts squeaking and Goldsmith delivers that little musical moment.

But you can hear Goldsmith's 80's style loud and clear.

I listened to the samples last night on the LLL page, and I'm loving all of them.

"Raid on Paradise" is something I've heard in the film and always noticed as an awesome action cue.

"Plot Course" is a nice comic moment, and there's some great material surrounding it.

"The Birth" ... this clip surprised me. This is obviously for Spock's flashback to his birth (So human ...), but I don't remember that piece in the film specifically. Awesome piece !!!

"Let's Get Out Of Here [part 2]"... Interesting alternate to the album. Great stuff, but I may actually prefer the Album version of this cue from what I've heard. I'll have to hear it all to really decide.

Really nice material here !!! Especially looking forward to "No Harm", where Spock tells Sybok's backstory in the observation room. I'm a real sucker for that kind of writing from Goldsmith. :)

I like the Klingon theme too, but I feel because Goldsmith used it in the subsequent pictures, the battle cue in TMP lost some of its uniqueness.

Karol

I'm okay with it because it sounds so different - so alien - in that cue. I agree it's lost a bit of its power since he began using it as a heroic theme for Worf though.

Am I the only one who does like the use of the Klingon theme for Worf? It's too great a theme to just abandon to the annals of history.

Blame the Star Trek universe circa 1996 for not allowing "bad Klingons" in the movie timeline who could "properly" use the theme as their battle theme.

Besides, Star Trek V and VI are tied as my first purchased Star Trek soundtracks, after copying FC from a friend's cassette. Years later, I bought it on CD and eventually found a copy of The Motion Picture.

I won't "unlike" something I learned in backwards order. That's nostalgia, baby.

Am I the only one who does like the use of the Klingon theme for Worf? It's too great a theme to just abandon to the annals of history.

Uhh no. Me, you and Goldsmith approve.

Btw, LLL is still trying to give away Batman, huh?

A quote from a certain link-sharing forum:

Fine, but LLL is not a forbidden title, and so is free to be posted. This is a pirating site, and a download forum. If you have problems with those activities, I suggest you may be frequenting the wrong site.

Someone started a thread with a link to the product page. Thoroughly confused a few there who weren't familiar with the concept of buying.

Ugh.

Uhh no. Me, you and Goldsmith approve.

Btw, LLL is still trying to give away Batman, huh?

I thought it was a great little thematic nod. Both Jerry and Joel used it.

And not this one?

Interesting, I never made the connection before.

Indeed. Also, Worf is a Klingon.

Wojo,

I too like the fact the Klingon theme was used for Worf. Oh and LLL's Star Trek V score definitely is fully complete. I know this score like the back of my hand.

Worf is a Klingon.

How utterly degrading to represent the identity of an individual by reducing him down to the theme for his entire species. By that logic, there could be a human theme, too, and every time Picard walked into the room, we'd hear it! This is racism at its worst. Shameful.

:)

Worf is a Klingon.

How utterly degrading to represent the identity of an individual by reducing him down to the theme for his entire species. By that logic, there could be a human theme, too, and every time Picard walked into the room, we'd hear it! This is racism at its worst. Shameful.

:mrgreen:

Oh it's worse. Much worse.

He gets the Friendship theme from ST:V. Yeah. The man with no friends gets the friendship theme.

Were did he get the friendship theme?

I think he means the four note theme from Star Trek V. It's heard all over the place in V, even as a danger motif in one spot I remember, and then it's used again all over the place in First Contact, particularly in scenes Picard shares with Lilly. I can't remember if it's used in Insurrection but I do know it's featured in the speech Picard gives at the wedding in Nemesis.

About the only prior theme that JG would not have been able to use would be Ilia's theme, since it was for a specific character who ascended. Although if Troi were so drunk on whiskey that she shaved her head and seduced Will, and then got assimilated, the theme might become appropriate.

I'm happier that JG decided to use these great themes instead of not. If someone doesn't like them, feel free to edit them out of your soundtrack.

Star Trek is inherently racist. It uses "humanity" to represent the majority, and "aliens" to represent minority cultures and races. Case in point: in Star Trek VI, Starfleet is the USA and the Klingons are the Soviet Union. This is obvious at the Starfleet round table when Kirk gets his mission, and at the dinner they share with the Klingons. This analogy holds true even though Starfleet itself contains aliens and minority races. Q repeatedly says that "humanity" is the stain on the galaxy, not ready to explore the stars, and somehow forgets that stubborn Klingon, the half Betazoid, and robot Pinocchio.

I'm sure that if Voyager made it home early enough to put B'Ellana Torres into the TNG movies, Goldsmith would have adapted his Klingon theme to use half the notes.