La-La Land Announces Star Trek V (Complete)

Ollie

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I correct in stating that The Quest Theme debutes rather subltly in Without Help?

I think you're right that it does.

Speaking of Star Trek V I'm currently listening to it right now. Taking a brief break before continuing to clean the bathroom.

The complete presentation of Star Trek V is so much better and a lot stronger compared to the OST. The OST isn't bad but the added previously unreleased material really fleshes things out.

The other day I was thinking to myself while listening to "A Window to the Path", Jerry just never seemed to create a truly personal tear jerker of track. (Off the top of my head, I couldn't think of any, and I seemed to have forgotten Rudy). Most of his more gentle music came across very grand, very much American explorers sounding.

Today I finally listened to ST:V, I saved it for my first day off, and I got to the track titled "Not Alone"

I hereby eat my words even more, having listened to the wonderful solo in the beginning of that.

Grrr I hate it when woodwinds pulsate like that, *wipes tear*.

The other day I was thinking to myself while listening to "A Window to the Path", Jerry just never seemed to create a truly personal tear jerker of track. (Off the top of my head, I couldn't think of any, and I seemed to have forgotten Rudy).

You've also forgotten The Trees, it seems.

The second part of The Birth, from when you see the Great Barrier out the window on, has just the most amazing sound. That's struck me ever since I first saw the movie, it's great to finally have it on CD.

Got the album today, my very first Goldsmith score on CD and damn it's great... :)

It has a completely different feel compared to TMP and with all the additional synth support offers something new for JW fans

The tracks i like the most are "Raid on Paradise", "A Busy Man", "The Mountain", "Let's Get out of here [part2]" and the marvellous "A tall ship". The Enterprise theme in the end of that track rivals the best bombastic statement in the actual TMP "The Enterprise" track

Mine shipped on the 7th and I still haven't received it yet. I hope the mailman is having a good time listening to it.

With you being in Australia it's possible customs is holding it up. You may not get it until after the new year. If you don't get it by the first I would email La-La Land about it.

• 2 weeks later...

This album is so much better than the OST. I didn't realize there was this much missing good music as I don't watch the movie often.

I hope that we really get expansions of TUC and official FC, INS and NEM.

• 1 month later...

Well, my wife ordered this for me for Valentine's Day (which means she had no idea what to get me and told me to just go buy myself something). I ordered it Saturday, it's shipping today. Not bad La La Land! Not too bad at all.

Less than 500 left. I'm surprised it wasn't gone within a week of release.

Well at 5,000 copies everyone knew it was gonna be around for a bit. The time of its release not a whole lot of people could buy it because of the time of year it was.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's sold out by summer time.

Got the album today, my very first Goldsmith score on CD and damn it's great... :)

You're in for a treat when you start expanding your collection.

Are your covers okay? My covers has many pages that glue together.

I could seperate some of them but the booklet is now hard damaged :(

Mine was okay as well and Steef is right contact La-La Land and tell them what happened I'm sure they'll be able to send you a replacement booklet. MV generally replies to the emails.

Yes, he does. He offered to send me a replacement Home Alone when my order seemed to... disappear. It arrived days later so there was no need for that in the end.

As for STV, my booklet is just fine.

Karol

• 1 month later...

I just read this over at the Intrada boards and don't think it was ever posted here; Apologies if it was

Doug, could you elaborate on the alternate STAR TREK V fanfare never recorded? Did it sound RAMBO/late 80's or more like the 70's theme? I wish that could've been included on the recent release...

I guess I didn't see the thread you mention but I've said just about everything I can recall about the sessions for this cue in various corners, Forum topics and with Jeff Bond who wrote the notes for the CD on La La Land. Since the fanfare launching the end credits had bars missing entirely in some of the musician's parts, Goldsmith never made a "print take" of the piece. There was just one sight-reading rehearsal where the music fell apart and Goldsmith - very angry - stopped the cue and announced plans to delete the opening bars and record it again in during the next day's sessions. So there is no recording (even an incomplete one) that La La Land could have included on their CD - which is a superb release.

The troubled fanfare began with Courage's motif and then launched into something dynamic sort of like the opening of his very first STAR TREK score but quickly fell apart. As such, a proper recording of it doesn't exist. Since the score and parts were problematic, Goldsmith most likely deleted the material from his sketches and rescored with the bars that are now familiar. So I'm not sure anyone could technically "re-record" the sequence since Goldsmith's not here to pencil it back in. I happened to be sitting near the cellos during this rehearsal. Yes, it was a tense moment. Anyway, it's just a tiny footnote in STAR TREK V's history at this point.

--Doug

Source: http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3991

Hmm, based on the description it doesn't sound like it would have worked even if it did get recorded, sounds like an awkward intro. The way it was first described last year on the board, I thought Goldsmith had written a completely new fanfare that would have replaced the Courage version.