Video Game Music

Quintus

So Quint, how's Dying Light annoying you with its unstable framerate then (PS4)? It's noticeable enough especially in indoor levels, but for me personally not nearly as frustrating as the difficulty in this game... The constant dying and having to travel to the last position is what's slowly killing my enjoyment for what is essentially a fantastic game from a design standpoint. Maybe this is what a zombie apocalypse is supposed to be, but it's really sucking the fun out of the game. And the storyline's not The Last of Us quality either, far from it. Right now I don't even know if I want to complete it. I keep returning to it, but everytime I end a session it's with a feeling I've been more annoyed than entertained.

Now, Black Flag on the other hand... that one is bloody excellent.

Nearly missed this. I'm really enjoying the game and finding its difficulty (so far) to be well balanced and reasonably challenging. I'm only 9 hrs in though, so that may change I suppose. The 30fps frame rate is largely a non issue to me due to the engine's superb motion blur and post processing effects which go a great way in keeping judder almost entirely at bay; although I have noticed the odd dip here and there, but it's not a big enough issue to be a deal breaker for me. I think Dying Light is pretty damn good.

The game looks fantastic and has an amazing feel, I'll give it that. And I think I've played as long as you, but the constant dying is not my idea of fun. That's why I've decided to end it before I throw a controller at my TV.

During the pre-release bits of news the developers were stating that during nighttime the game became a lot more terrifying to play than during the day.

Well yes, I have to agree with them, I'm terrified that I will throw something at my TV out of sheer frustration.

Anyway, why the hell I'm a still debating this... I've already sold it.

I have changed. I used to persist no matter what. Remember I completed Devil May Cry on hardest difficulty, it's an absolutely insane motherfucker of a challenge, nowadays I'd never have gone through with it.

There are way too many games now... too little time. Also priorities have shifted, with getting older other things in life become more important.

Not worth the hassle to continue the same cycle of frustration when there's more important things to do.

But it's good you enjoy it so much mate. Now try to enjoy the nighttime missions... :D

But that rarely becomes frustrating. :lol:

Besides I mix that with listening to great music. One hugely meaningful task + another slightly less meaningful task = time very well spent. Unless the music blows.

• 2 weeks later...

It's considerably cheaper there than it is here actually, thanks to the rip-off conversation rates. Or did you just mean you weren't planning on continuing your 'career' on Destiny after Year 1?

Oh I definitely plan on getting it, it's just a nuisance to pay for. But I suppose it really is basically a new game anyway, so....

The biggest inconvenience is that I'm still on the 360, and the folks I play with have all upgraded, so that'll be another investment soon.

I've just discovered the wondrous and beautiful 'Ori and the Blind Forest' composed by Gareth Coker.

So I went ahead and bought it, it's very good, but I'll trim it down to a more respectable length, because it's almost 90 minutes long.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just listened to the first disc of Destiny: The Taken King... Music by all the same composers except for McCartney and O'Donnell. All I can say is Marty's voice is sorely missed. It's pretty generic and repetitive and misses the mystical element found in the previous soundtrack.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just listened to the first disc of Destiny: The Taken King... Music by all the same composers except for McCartney and O'Donnell. All I can say is Marty's voice is sorely missed. It's pretty generic and repetitive and misses the mystical element found in the previous soundtrack.

It's still great.

From playing the newer game, I'd have to agree that the music is disappointing. There's some decent cues in there, but the synthy mock orchestral action music is a big step down to Marty's fantastic vanilla originals. But that might be a coincidence, since I loved all of the music in the previous two expansions - which Bungie have since revealed were produced long after O'Donnell left the company, and were original to Michael Salvatori and his team.

• 3 weeks later...

Halo 5: Guardians (Kazuma Jinnouchi)

He did one track for Halo 4, which was awesome (117). I'm now listening to the first disc of the H5 soundtrack and it just doesn't do much for me... The emotional link that Marty O'Donnell established so well with his themes is now forever gone. Sure, there are some hints in a couple of cues, but the rest is just generic, background scoring. Seems to me the tracks that have an orchestral element do at least try to stir up some excitement, but those are few and far between. I've yet to listen to the rest of the soundtrack, but as it is there's not much to love here. It's just not Halo music. And there's just no consistency. Now I wish 343 would've continued on the path that Neil Davidge laid out. At least he wrote a consistently great soundtrack with the fourth one (IMO).

Here's one of the better cues (for the introduction):

Its not actually Episode VII music but music written specifically for the new Battlefront game! This seems to be from the demo...?

We have a whole thread where we've been discussing Gordy Haab's score to this game:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25688

It's good stuff!

• 2 weeks later...

The soundtrack is pretty generous with quality cues and overall the music in Halo 5 is a BIG step up from the lacklustre and generic sound of Davige's Halo 4. The action writing is especially good, I've been listening to it a lot. If only action music in movies was this good, is what I think while I'm listening.

I think that overall Halo 5's music is weaker than 4... Simply compare the one cue that Kazuma Jinnouchi wrote (117) for 4 with any of his cues from the new one, and 117 is the most stunning of them all IMO. I also prefer Davidge's style, which has more of an ambient quality than Halo 5 has... It took me a couple of listens to get into Halo 4's radical shift in style from the previous Halo's, but now I simply love it. The entire album of the new game just wears me out, and it doesn't have a thematic foundation like the previous scores have built upon.

I really didn't like what they did with Halo 4's music and I hated how much of a departure it was. It was generic and forgettable to me. Halo 5 is at least a step back in the right direction, IMO. I prefer its aesthetic, it's more like what I expect and want.

And believe me, as a fan, I tried to like Halo 4's score.

Ok that's cool, we all have our preferences. I remember something similar going on between Halo 3 ODST and Reach.

Also, what did you think of Destiny: The Taken King? I couldn't get into it, the mystical, magical element (Marty's contribution) was sorely lacking. All that was left was repetitive action music, and an occasional good choral cue.

Wouldn't you rather hear this during gameplay?

http://youtu.be/89-eFxa-qVs

http://youtu.be/N7yTT4gpWOM

Also, what did you think of Destiny: The Taken King? I couldn't get into it, the mystical, magical element (Marty's contribution) was sorely lacking. All that was left was repetitive action music, and an occasional good choral cue.

Pretty much agreed. I haven't felt compelled to seek out the music online because apart from a couple of decent cues the music has taken a massive nose-dive since they moved away from O'Donnell's Music of the Spheres seemingly out of spite.

There's some sense of the Halo sound in that but it still fails to really transport me to the right place. There's way too much that sounds like it could be from dozens of other scores. That was never the case pre-Halo 4. Marty and co. had a real perspective, a unique one. That's why even without Marty I think Destiny is in good hands. These other dudes that 343 go for though just don't seem to "get it" if you ask me.

I know exactly what you're saying as far as the Bungie's Halo sound goes, but just as standalone music I like the two cues I linked, and knowing the melees they actually underscored I reckon you would agree they were very suitable indeed once you have played it yourself. Every now and then when it all kicks off, there's a new flavour of welcome frenetic urgency to the combat sandbox of Halo 5, and the composer has IMO done a good job of enhancing the inherent excitement of those scenarios with the music. Plus there are motifs and themes at play in both cues which only really become apparent with listening experience.