Video Game Music

Quintus

Any Shoji Meguro fans here? @Koray Savas I know you're a big fan of Catherine (me too!), have you listened to some of his other stuff? Truth be told, I find a lot of game scores that go for the uber-orchestral approach to be pretty boring (peace out, Uematsu)--I'm also not a fan of the notion that the orchestral format is the apex of artistic stature for video game music to be held to, at least when it's not done with some real personal flair (peace out, Video Games Live, Eminence, Play!, and all of that other crap). 

So when a composer like Shoji Meguro goes for a different sound, my heart smiles; his work for the Shin Megami Tensei games (especially the third one) is a treasure trove of great music:

Yasutomo Nishiki's score to PROJECT OCTOPATH TRAVELER is up for sale digitally!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/octopath-traveler-original-soundtrack-preview-version/1337592839

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079C3WP7Y

• 4 weeks later...

Yasunori Mitsuda's XENOBLADE CHRONICLES 2 score is getting a complete release on May 23rd!

Procyon Studio has announced that the score of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 will finally get a release on May 23rd. Yasunori Mitsuda and co.’s score has received great acclaim from fans and industry alike (it was nominated for multiple awards in our very own game music awards) and demand has been high for a full soundtrack release.

XC2-USB-450x300.jpg

The soundtrack is being released in three forms. The first, entitled Type A, is on a memory stick, which contains 126 tracks (105 tracks from the game’s score, 16 jingle tracks and 5 piano arrangements) in lossless format. Type B is contains the same tracks but in CD format. Finally, Type C contains just the 105 tracks from the game’s score and will be available in both CD and digital formats.

Type A is available on Amazon Japan, priced at 19,440 JPY ($182, that’s not a typo). Type B is also available on Amazon Japan for 8,424 JPY (roughly $79).  The digital release will be 4,500 JPY ($42).

http://www.vgmonline.net/xenoblade-chronicles-2-to-receive-soundtrack/

On 1/30/2018 at 11:05 AM, Jay said:

Wow, today I discovered Lena Raine, and her brilliant score to Celeste.  Streaming for free, check it out!

It really is a great game with real good music. Google Play link: https://play.google.com/music/listen#/album/B5jvkge5asqjbm5hnnfuzvnlade/Lena+Raine/Celeste+(Original+Soundtrack)

And for fans of the music from the old Banjo-Kazooie games, Grant Kirkhope was involved a new Switch game last year, Mario + Rabbids. Haven't played it, but there was this nice feature about the music: 

The album is also available to stream, GPM link: https://play.google.com/music/listen#/album/Bxv4gu7xnz7s7lsd5op7nfqxxby/Grant+Kirkhope/Mario+%2B+Rabbids+Kingdom+Battle+(Original+Game+Soundtrack)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

All of that soundtrack is great! Sometimes I wish he would push himself more, but overall Jake Kaufman is a very skilled guy. There's an arrangement of Guile's Theme he did that I'm very partial to.

• 2 weeks later...

Xenoblade Chronicles II OST is now out digitally!!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/xenoblade2-original-soundtrack/1383212072

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D1C6NN1/

etc

My physical copy has shipped from Japan and DHL claims I'll have it tomorrow.  I never got the Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild physical releases form them until like 2 weeks after they first told me I'd have them, so we'll see!

If you'll permit me, I'd like to share my first recordings I ever made, about five years ago. These were from a session I did with one of my best friends. We took a couple video game tunes we enjoyed and decided to do a free improvisation on them. Here's the first, from the NES game Startropics. It took us a little bit to warm up, so to speak, so I prefer it to start around this time. I might also recommend that you end at 6:57. I like the material that comes after, but I'm concerned it runs too long.

EDIT: Crap, the time URL on the first video isn't embedding properly for some reason. In that case, please start at 3:38.

And here's one from Ocarina of Time.

These were fun to do, and I hope you enjoy these performances!

(And now you know my dark secret...Nick Parker isn't my actual name....)

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

Pirates of Caribbean: At World's End (2007). Two adventure tracks worthy of Zimmer's Jack Sparrow. Composer unknown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7sBd_0CEe4&index=1&list=RD-7sBd_0CEe4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hIFvHDYFYI&index=8&list=RD-7sBd_0CEe4

I thought this score was from Mark Griskey?

2 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I thought this score was from Mark Griskey?

😮 I couldn't find the information. Where did you find it? J'adore Mark Griskey!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Peter Connelly announced Tomb Raider: The Dark Angel, a project similar to Nathan McCree's Tomb Raider Suite with the aim of updating the music to Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation, Tomb Raider Chronicles and Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness.

https://trdarkangel.com/2018/08/27/the-dark-angel-revealed/

Just now, kaseykockroach said:

This one?

Love this too! It merely didn't glue itself to my brain like Run Run Rottytops did. 

Practically every cue in this is pure bouncy joyful bliss.

Ohhhh it's soooooo good.  Modern Halloween classic.

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Ohhhh it's soooooo good.  Modern Halloween classic.

I agree with your opinion on both tracks, I honestly don't know why people like to point to Run, Rottytops, Run! as a highlight. I also love the equivalent track in Half-Genie Hero.

Very fun music, but I miss the sense of actual dramatic progression that Pirate's Curse had--but that's not just the music I feel such about.

The amount of discussion the Shantae games have gotten in recent months on this forum has me curious about the series.

If I wanted to get into it, which game should I start with?  And which game in the series in the best one, if different?

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

The amount of discussion the Shantae games have gotten in recent months on this forum has me curious about the series.

If I wanted to get into it, which game should I start with?  And which game in the series in the best one, if different?

Pirate's Curse, unarguably. No contest. 

Half-Genie Hero is probably second best.

I can see why Half Genie Hero was a disappointment to a lot of other folks, but I just saw it as "Well, I beat Pirate's Curse 100%. Love these characters and want to see more of them...so I'll play the next one!...Yay, there's Rottytops! She's my fave!" 

A simplistic summation, but it's mine! 

Pirate's Curse was where Bozon & co. finally "got it right."  Getting rid of the transformations and going with more conventional upgrades was the right decision and I hope they go back to that if they make another one.

Pirate's Curse and Half-Genie Hero are both on Switch

If I like them, looks like I'd have to find Risky's Revenge for the Wii U, then I guess emulate the original Shantae

Just now, Jay said:

Pirate's Curse and Half-Genie Hero are both on Switch

If I like them, looks like I'd have to find Risky's Revenge for the Wii U, then I guess emulate the original Shantae

Original Shantae is on 3DS virtual console

Oh right, I forget that's a thing!  I bought Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons on that and haven't played them yet 😛

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oh right, I forget that's a thing!  I bought Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons on that and haven't played them yet 😛

I being me, I bought and have completed MULTIPLE times each:

Super Mario Land

Super Mario Land 2

Wario Land

Wario Land 2

Wario Land 3

Super Mario Bros. Deluxe

:D 

Wow, first game ever completed... I wonder what that was for me?

Must have been Super Mario Bros, I reckon.

3 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Hell yeah. The first video game I ever completed! As an eight-year old that game was the hardest thing I had ever done.

I love the Game Boy trilogy so much.  I think 2 is my favorite though.  Loved finding all the secret exits.  And it was a little more clear than 3 was with what you should do.  3 could be overly cryptic at times.

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

Wow, first game ever completed... I wonder what that was for me?

Must have been Super Mario Bros, I reckon.

What about the first one that wasn't "arcadey"?

11 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I love the Game Boy trilogy so much.  I think 2 is my favorite though.  Loved finding all the secret exits.  And it was a little more clear than 3 was with what you should do.  3 could be overly cryptic at times.

The first one is fun, but not extremely distinctive: I wish the Virtual Boy version was rereleased in some format, it's the better version. 

The second one is the first "true" Wario Land game: I too loved the secrets (like the ending where all you have to do is lay in bed), but the gameplay itself wasn't that fun for me. The third one felt like such a massive refinement to me: while it could be cryptic sometimes, once I understood the "system", I thought the process of figuring out where to go was immensely satisfying. Also, the music was better, the graphics were better, and I loved the openness of the environment. 

The fourth is the shortest since the first, but it's great. The composer(s) really knew how to milk the absolute most of the Game Boy Advance's not-very-friendly music capabilities. 

Briefly encountered the Wii one for training at Nintendo, but that's about it. 

Speaking of secret endings, those can be some of the most fun video game tracks around. Here's two!

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

Akira Yamaoka's Silent Hill scores are fucking brilliant. The epitome of horror music, for me.

Beautiful stuff, and a huge influence on me. Dario Argento and Akira Yamaoka are actually collaborating on a film!

8 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

What about the first one that wasn't "arcadey"?

Probably Final Fantasy IV (which I knew as Final Fantasy II for the SNES at the time).

If computer games count, it would have been one of the King's Quest, Police Quest, or Space Quest games, probably