Video Game Music

Quintus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yesterday was the 25th anniversary of CHRONO TRIGGER so today I am listening to the OST album in its honor :music:

What a masterpiece

• 3 weeks later...

Kirkhope's good, but he doesn't have the range of Wise.  Kirkhope operates in a very narrow, specific sound that only he can do and is always a lot of fun, but it also means that all of his scores sound pretty similar to each other.

That said, he was the perfect choice for Mario + Rabbids, really good soundtrack.

I think an issue for both Wise and Kirkhope is that their work for Rare is so iconic, the developers who hire them these days just want them to sound like that over and over.

Sometimes at work I listen to Wise's original score to the first Donkey Kong Country and just love it.  I keep meaning to continue forward with his other DKC scores but keep returning to 1!

41 minutes ago, Jay said:

Sometimes at work I listen to Wise's original score to the first Donkey Kong Country and just love it.  I keep meaning to continue forward with his other DKC scores but keep returning to 1!

DKC2 is pretty great.

The Mario Maker games have brought us the best new Mario music of the past 10 years.  Nothing in the latter thrre New SMB games nor 3D Land and World is as good as the new Maker stuff.  The Odyssey score is good too.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Actually I think Super Mario 3D World has the greatest soundtrack of any Mario game.  Like, ever.

j jonah jameson laughing GIF

I've really been enjoying the "Mini OST" for the Final Fantasy VII Remake, anybody else checked it out?

The full OST will be 7 discs long, or 8 discs for a limited edition bonus disc version

https://www.jp.square-enix.com/music/sem/page/FF7R/ost/en/SQEX_10768_75/

Amazon has both up for pre-order, along with a special Amazon-only version with a free notepad

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/dp/B0862DZ9DX/

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/dp/B0862FG39S/

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/dp/B0862FC3RT/

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/dp/B0862F99BB/

I'm glad to see this thread is still going. I must reemphasize one of my favorite aesthetics in all of music. In fact, with the awesome diversity which exists within game music, I'm upset there aren't more tracks that embrace the beauty of this style:

to 2:35

4 hours ago, Borodin said:

I'm glad to see this thread is still going. I must reemphasize one of my favorite aesthetics in all of music. In fact, with the awesome diversity which exists within game music, I'm upset there aren't more tracks that embrace the beauty of this style:

to 2:35

Reminds me of Crystal Chronicles or the Vivendi Hobbit.

Pretty close. :) The Hobbit sounds more hearty and direct (Western), while the above seems more allusive and ethereal (Eastern) similar to Chrono Cross but with more of a long-lost richness. The sound was made popular in early Christian storytelling movies as well as old rare documentaries you can dig up if you're lucky.

Crusader Kings II by Paradox Interactive has some really great music. For those who haven't heard of it, the game is a medieval dynasty simulator in the form of a grand strategy wargame. You play as the head of a dynasty from 1066 to 1453 in the Catholic Europe (although start dates as early as 867 and 769 are also available with the purchase of DLCs, as well as other cultures and religions of the Old World). There are no set goals or victory conditions (the game is over only when you reach the year 1453, or if your dynasty dies out, or becomes landless), and you can essentially do whatever you want to make it worthwhile. The review by Sseth is hilarious, but gets the point of the game across.

Most of the music in the base game, which is free to play, was composed by Andreas Waldetoft, but as you get the DLCs, which open up the rest of the Old World, other composers and bands start to chip in as well to accompany the specific cultures that you're playing. The style of music ranges from Gregorian chants and Renaissance, to modern rock and metal. Combined together, there are close to one hundred cues, and I'd guess it's about 5 hours of music, but I am not entirely sure about the exact number. Here are few examples:

The main title, alternating between flowing/lyrical, and percussion-heavy/warlike:

Another track from the base game OST, with a similar style to the earlier one. I love the vocals towards the end. It really summons the imagery of crusades, as the title suggests:

As you move away from Europe towards the east, you will find other styles of music. Here's one that you might hear if you decide to play as a nomadic ruler of one of the cultures from the Altaic group:

If you play as Indo-Aryan or Dravidian character, you'll get some cool sitar sounds:

Here's an example of something different - an actual song, written in modern rock/orchestral/choral style. You'll typically hear it when the Viking Age starts (the lyrics serve as a warning for any ruler at the time):

Pagan Fury submitted several of their songs to Paradox, and they were happy to include those in the expansions: 

In general, it's an amazingly varied soundtrack, and I never find myself bored or having to skip songs or customize my own playlist. In other games, that's often not the case.

• 3 weeks later...

Is the Final Battle cue from Jedi Fallen Order a re-recording of Anakin's Dark Deeds or lifted from the RotS OST?

1 hour ago, King Mark said:

Is the Final Battle cue from Jedi Fallen Order a re-recording of Anakin's Dark Deeds or lifted from the RotS OST?

Apparently no, it was tracked from the OST. It contains even the same microedits. For some bizarre reason they managed to license just a couple of tracks out of the ROTS OST, which is a little embarassing. The Clash of the Lightsabers could've been used on that same scene.

yeah as the track was playing I was hoping it was a re-recording or the sessions and we'd get the full ending to It Can't Be

Here's also a small look behind the scenes:

This album is a great listen! Materia Collective is putting out awesome VGM arrangements time and again (like the fully orchestral "Hero of Time" OoT concept album a few years back).

On 5/9/2020 at 2:57 AM, Marian Schedenig said:

Check out the Video Game Jazz Orchestra:

https://vgjazzorchestra.bandcamp.com/

I wish they wouldn't waste their time with Mario music though. "Sam & Max Hit the Road" would make for a great live-recorded jazz soundtrack.

On another note, here's Kevin Kiner talking about his soundtrack to the cancelled Star Wars game which was still running under the name "Project Ragtag":
https://www.inverse.com/gaming/ea-canceled-star-wars-game-ragtag

4 hours ago, Bellosh said:

The Bonus Screen theme from Super Mario World remixed in Odyssey

Chai Kingdom from Super Mario Land

Hirokazu Tanaka's remix of the ending of Super Mario Land:

On 5/15/2020 at 9:29 AM, Laserschwert said:

I wish they wouldn't waste their time with Mario music though. "Sam & Max Hit the Road" would make for a great live-recorded jazz soundtrack.

Why not both? I'd hope they make more if this sells well.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For the video game buffs here in JWFan: what was the first game to ever get a score performed by an orchestra, and not just synth? Was it Giacchino's The Lost World? Or something older than that?