Video Game Music

Quintus

To my knowledge I haven't heard any of the music listed on that page, but I see lots of things I now want to check out, starting with the tribute to Octopath Traveler... 

11 hours ago, Jay said:

To my knowledge I haven't heard any of the music listed on that page, but I see lots of things I now want to check out, starting with the tribute to Octopath Traveler... 

Yeah I highly recommend those Tribute albums by Materia Collective (also known as Materia Community)

It started out in 2015 with a massive 5-CD tribute to FF7 (thus the name Materia) and since then dozens of albums have been produced !

I've played horn, trumpet and drums on a lot of them, also arranged a couple of tracks like this one :

9 minutes ago, Marc said:

Materia Collective (also known as Materia Community)

Why did the name change?

3 hours ago, Marc said:

Yeah I highly recommend those Tribute albums by Materia Collective (also known as Materia Community)

It started out in 2015 with a massive 5-CD tribute to FF7 (thus the name Materia) and since then dozens of albums have been produced !

I've played horn, trumpet and drums on a lot of them, also arranged a couple of tracks like this one :

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Why did the name change?

Was it that guy's attempt at rebranding after not paying anyone for their music and being a nutbag about it? I assumed the company went bye bye after that. 

Originally "Materia Collective" was just a collaboration between dozens of VGM artists to produce big Tribute albums, then it became an actual company which is a VGM record label and sheet music publisher.

So they came up with the new name "Materia Community" for the collab albums !

• 2 weeks later...

A 'synth mixes' version of The Tomb Raider Suite was released by Nathan McCree this week. He recretaed the entire Suite on the same synths used to make the original music for the games. I haven't got it - even backers of the Suite have to purchase it and I have no funds - but it's interesting nontheless.

He's also said he's going to release the original music to the first three games, remastered. THis will also include cutscene music.

At this stage, though, I feel The Dark Angel Symphony was a better deal - it reimagined the music of the later Tomb Raider games by Core, and automatically included the original game OSTs for 4, 5 and 6.

Been recently re-playing Transformers: The Game based on the 2007 movie, and I'm always struck by how much fun that game's score is. It's certainly better than the movie's music on a technical level, and is probably one of the best scores Steve Jablonsky has ever done (with co-composer Jonathon Flood). 

On 8/4/2021 at 7:05 AM, SilverTrumpet said:

McConnell's still got it, that's for sure. 

I think this is his best score yet!  Very diverse and thrilling score with lots of atmosphere too!  Plus tons of big band, jazzy moments too along with the symphonic score.  Jack Black does a good rock song too.

6 hours ago, karelm said:

I think this is his best score yet!  Very diverse and thrilling score with lots of atmosphere too!  Plus tons of big band, jazzy moments too along with the symphonic score.  Jack Black does a good rock song too.

I love it how Tim Schafer keeps getting this select group of celebrity fans into his games.

3 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I love it how Tim Schafer keeps getting this select group of celebrity fans into his games.

Jack Black is a huge fan and a very wonderful advocate.  He is passionate about his love of music and kids and that's not a bad thing.  He also was on the cast of the 20th anniversary of Grim Fandango by the same team.  He was so kind and generous with his praise too!  

On 8/11/2021 at 9:30 AM, superultramegaa said:

Been recently re-playing Transformers: The Game based on the 2007 movie, and I'm always struck by how much fun that game's score is. It's certainly better than the movie's music on a technical level, and is probably one of the best scores Steve Jablonsky has ever done (with co-composer Jonathon Flood). 

Nice.  I like the clip.  Is this score available anywhere?  I would love to hear the whole album.

1 hour ago, Michael Scorefan said:

Nice.  I like the clip.  Is this score available anywhere?  I would love to hear the whole album.

The entire score is available on YouTube through Transformers: The Game OST playlists. It's a lot of fun, but some sections are better than others. Generally I enjoy the Autobot music a lot more than the Decepticon ones. 

• 1 month later...

I've been listening to the Mario Kart Tour soundtrack while I work (MK soundtracks are always good high-energy motivating work music) and there are two tracks in particularly that I dig: "Berlin Byways" and "Los Angeles Laps".  They actually remind me of Splatoon music in a way.

2 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Mario Kart Tour in general is so much fun. I really wish people wouldn't just poopoo it simply because it's a mobile game. 

I have to admit I am still really put off by the controls even after a few tries.  But the presentation is top notch and I think it's clearly the best of Nintendo's mobile games, at least to my taste.

Yeah, the controls take too long to get used to, but the thing that kept me going was that it was very similar for me in Double Dash. That's just my difficulty though so it's not a great argument, but I'm much more used to it now. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So the airship music that was created for the SMB1 palette in Mario Maker is superior to the original Airship theme from SMB3 (and reused many times since 1988), I hope we can all agree on that.  They took the original rhythm and chord progression and wrote a badass new melody on top of it.

And it works so well when it's used as underscore in a couple of Odyssey cutscenes

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

So the airship music that was created for the SMB1 palette in Mario Maker is superior to the original Airship theme from SMB3 (and reused many times since 1988), I hope we can all agree on that.  They took the original rhythm and chord progression and wrote a badass new melody on top of it.

By "they" you mean Koji Kondo, right?

And yea, it's great!

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

And it works so well when it's used as underscore in a couple of Odyssey cutscenes

Ha! I hadn't noticed that, that's great!

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

By "they" you mean Koji Kondo, right?

I remembered that he created new music for the game but I couldn't remember if he had done all the new music needed, so I just used a generic pronoun.

Honestly, this new melody is so good in my head I had remembered it being the original SMB3 airship melody and had to revisit that soundtrack to remember how the original went.

1 minute ago, Grace Under Pressure said:

I don't know why, but that melody feels familiar to me, like I have heard something really close to it somewhere else.

I get that feeling too!  I'm pretty sure that Mario Maker was the first introduction but not 100%.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I never noticed this at all.

Did anyone else not really love the Odyssey OST, especially compared to Kondo and Yokota's Mario scores?

Well my #1 all-time favorite Mario soundtrack remains 3D World, but I thought Odyssey had excellent highlights.  I've yet to hear a Mario soundtrack I don't enjoy in some capacity (very much including the New games in that).  Besides, Kondo himself had some of the best cues in Odyssey.

On 20/10/2021 at 2:12 PM, Disco Stu said:

Well my #1 all-time favorite Mario soundtrack remains 3D World, but I thought Odyssey had excellent highlights.  I've yet to hear a Mario soundtrack I don't enjoy in some capacity (very much including the New games in that).  Besides, Kondo himself had some of the best cues in Odyssey.

Even New Super Mario Bros?

7 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Even New Super Mario Bros?

Hell yeah!  I bop along to the bahs!  Sure it's not in the topmost tier of my favorite Mario soundtracks, but it's fun stuff.  I never understood why everyone hates the bahs, I think they're charming (in game especially)

4 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

It's not the bahs I have a problem with. It's just after four games all the soundtracks sound identical. I really can't tell them apart. 

Well sure that was always the problem with the New series, but they really did save the best in the series for last.  Mario U is all you need IMO, a great Mario game. 

I play through every mainline Mario platformer (2D and 3D) at least once every year or two, except Mario U is the only one I play from the New series because it's representative of the best of that style.  The best version of that visual style (it's actually quite good from an art design standpoint if you look at it in isolation), the best version of that music, the best level design, the best world design. 

Galaxy still remains my favorite Mario score by far. All of the other Mario soundtracks sound practically identical to me. That game's music though is so distinct and stylized, and almost every track is addicting and satisfying to listen to. 

• 2 weeks later...

It was a pretty surreal feeling to find out/remember that Lego Indy (1) not only uses Young Indy cues, unreleased JW cues (FUCK Bouzerau, FUCK Concord, FUCK everyone who ever could have been involved in a proper reissue by someone with brains but didn't do anything - sorry, that's just a muscle reflex), but even music from Bajakian's absolutely excellent Emperor's Tomb! Also apparently they had access to anything they wanted, a lot better spread than with later games where they either had to loop the OST over and over or compose a lot lesser material to fill it in (looking at you, Lego LotR's Mount Doom) - weird that even then they decided to use the wrong cues for some scenes.