Video Game Music

Quintus

I've been playing Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and the music is incredible. All Xenoblade games have high quality soundtracks with great action music and lovely area themes. This game is no different. Some fans are a little down on the music because it has an overall more somber tone, but I love it. I also notice that the music has little touches from all previous Xenoblade soundtracks including some electronic touches similar to the soundtrack for Xenoblade Chronicles X. Check out this incredible area theme:

https://youtu.be/hLLSb7HRmxU

Yea I made me way through all 12 hours of the gamerip last week.  I liked a lot of what I heard, but the disorganized nature led to not being able to really enjoy it properly - I can't wait for the OST album to come out! (Hopefully it doesn't take half a year like XC2's did)

But yea, even with that less-than-ideal listening experience, I can already tell it's not a new instant classic / masterpiece like XC2's score is.  But it's still good, with a ton of great stuff.

There's a thread on squidboard were people have stitched some of the short gamerip files into longer pieces as intended, and that helps alot but there's so much work to be done to shape all 12 hours into a proper album

On 10/08/2022 at 10:47 AM, Jay said:

Yea I made me way through all 12 hours of the gamerip last week.  I liked a lot of what I heard, but the disorganized nature led to not being able to really enjoy it properly - I can't wait for the OST album to come out! (Hopefully it doesn't take a year and a half like XC2's did)

But yea, even with that less-than-ideal listening experience, I can already tell it's not a new instant classic / masterpiece like XC2's score is.  But it's still good, with a ton of great stuff.

There's a thread on squidboard were people have stitched some of the short gamerip files into longer pieces as intended, and that helps alot but there's so much work to be done to shape all 12 hours into a proper album

I don't think they did like other games and waited for the DLC before releasing an OST for Xeno 2, right? 

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 released on December 1st 2017, and the Special Edition release came with a 13-track mini-OST

The full 5-disc OST album released on May 23 2018, 5 months later

Torna ~ The Golden Country DLC released on September 14 2018

It's OST album came out on December 14 2018, 2 months later - though it is only 11 tracks long because most of the DLC's music was tracked in from the base game

There's a new gamerip of Xenoblade 3 on squiboard now that gives all the compositions a proper name, edits all the tiny pieces together into proper tracks, and is only 8 hours long instead of 12  I don't know if that's because it omits 4 hours of music, or if the initial gamerip had a ton of repeated music, but this new version is sooooooo much more enjoyable to listen to now. 

I have no clue what the chronological order of it all is, but I've been listening to just the location tracks (and their night versions) and having a great time

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes when I drive to work I enjoy throwing on the Stellaris OST. This game has some excellent music, I really like how it combines classical orchestra performances with synth overlays. They blend together well:

• 1 month later...

A video game I worked on is available now and is the sequel to a LucasArts classic adventure game, "The Curse of Monkey Island".  It is available for Nintendo Switch, macOS, Microsoft Windows, Macintosh operating systems.  It is the third in the series after LucasArts' "Secret of Monkey Island" (1990) and "Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge" (1991).  These are classics in video game history and it's exciting to be a part of the return of a cult classic reuniting the old team! 

Some of the music can be heard in this review:

Return to Monkey Island | Available Now!

Now that it's out, can you tell us more about what work you did on it? Hoping for a soundtrack release in the not too far future… I suppose the physical box/deluxe edition thingie(s?) Ron Gilbert recently said would be coming out after a while might contain it in some form.

18 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Now that it's out, can you tell us more about what work you did on it? Hoping for a soundtrack release in the not too far future… I suppose the physical box/deluxe edition thingie(s?) Ron Gilbert recently said would be coming out after a while might contain it in some form.

Tagging @karelm because I also wanna know 

33 minutes ago, karelm said:

I was an orchestrator on the game working with the original LucasArts composers Michael Land, Peter McConnell, and Clint Bajakian who scored Monkey 1 and 2 back in the early 90's.

Tell us more! How did it work? Did you receive midis and input from them?

• 3 weeks later...

I can't recommend highly enough the soundtrack to MultiVersus by Gordy Haab and Stephen Barton.  It is a virtual love letter to Horner and Williams, not at all what I was expecting.  I have been listening to it pretty-much nonstop since it was released a few weeks ago, and posted about it on the FSM board but nobody there was really paying attention.  I know Haab has his fans here, and I urge them to check this out.  It is absolutely one of my favorite scores released in 2022 from any film, tv show, or video game.

Another recent favorite videogame soundtrack is Greg Nicollet's score for POTIONOMICS, which includes a number of tracks with the F.A.M.E.S. orchestra and the Budapest Scoring Orchestra.  This is one of my favorite cues.

21 hours ago, Dr. Know said:

I can't recommend highly enough the soundtrack to MultiVersus by Gordy Haab and Stephen Barton.  It is a virtual love letter to Horner and Williams, not at all what I was expecting.  I have been listening to it pretty-much nonstop since it was released a few weeks ago, and posted about it on the FSM board but nobody there was really paying attention.  I know Haab has his fans here, and I urge them to check this out.  It is absolutely one of my favorite scores released in 2022 from any film, tv show, or video game.

Another recent favorite videogame soundtrack is Greg Nicollet's score for POTIONOMICS, which includes a number of tracks with the F.A.M.E.S. orchestra and the Budapest Scoring Orchestra.  This is one of my favorite cues.

Yes! The Multiversus score is great, both in the original parts and the many clever adaptions of existing music. Very impressive.

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/09/2022 at 5:04 PM, karelm said:

A video game I worked on is available now and is the sequel to a LucasArts classic adventure game, "The Curse of Monkey Island".  It is available for Nintendo Switch, macOS, Microsoft Windows, Macintosh operating systems.  It is the third in the series after LucasArts' "Secret of Monkey Island" (1990) and "Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge" (1991).  These are classics in video game history and it's exciting to be a part of the return of a cult classic reuniting the old team! 

Escape from Monkey Island, the fourth entry of this series, is the most underrated video game I believe in history. They've made one huge social mistake, in trying to distance themselves from what a niche breakthrough it was, incorrectly deeming it like "dated potentials of a done generation" in its appeal, graphics, art, and world-building. Although I'm thrilled to play such marvelous news as Return in what's otherwise a somewhat silly and backward gaming generation now, I can't help but express, what a clusterf*** of gamers and consumers we have representing this industry sometimes. Zero sense of imagination. Easily one of the Top 20 best video games. Ever. It's so incredibly awesome that you could be part of its lineage! and am looking forward to being very open and excited with Return. Congrats!

25 minutes ago, Oomoog the Ecstatic said:

Escape from Monkey Island, the fourth entry of this series, is the most underrated video game I believe in history.

I disagree. See here.

I agree with your posted critiques though, aside from graphics and dialogue (that I really don't get, seems like an arbitrary, unappreciative judgment), but with the other critiques given I still wouldn't see how that makes it the bad game of the series or not one of the best video games of all time. Player reviews about Escape are specifically ridiculous, the critics actually had it right somehow. The focus on exploring imaginative islands and varieties of characters in big world-building maps now with full-player control, paired with (actually) brilliant graphics and moods in 3D imo and the clever gameplay of investigating stories and places by learning about characters and gathering an arsenal of unique items, makes the collective gaming experience unforgettable and one of the greatest adventures, bar none. You can disagree. I still consider Curse of Monkey Island the better game, I think we agree that's obvious, but maybe we just disagree on how great a game (and games) these are if Escape is not tremendously underrated.

4 hours ago, Oomoog the Ecstatic said:

Escape from Monkey Island, the fourth entry of this series, is the most underrated video game I believe in history. They've made one huge social mistake, in trying to distance themselves from what a niche breakthrough it was, incorrectly deeming it like "dated potentials of a done generation" in its appeal, graphics, art, and world-building. Although I'm thrilled to play such marvelous news as Return in what's otherwise a somewhat silly and backward gaming generation now, I can't help but express, what a clusterf*** of gamers and consumers we have representing this industry sometimes. Zero sense of imagination. Easily one of the Top 20 best video games. Ever. It's so incredibly awesome that you could be part of its lineage! and am looking forward to being very open and excited with Return. Congrats!

Thanks, man!  Very kind of you!  

On 11/11/2022 at 1:18 PM, Giftheck said:

Seems there's a lot more to the DOOM Eternal music story than we previously knew.

That is an insane read - I almost can't believe the id Software exec would behave that way

15 minutes ago, enderdrag64 said:

That is an insane read - I almost can't believe the id Software exec would behave that way

I always wondered if there have been any sort of clash between external composers and in-house audio teams of studios in the world of video game. But this is beyond my wildest imagination, shits are real

Nominees for Best Score or Music at this year's Game Awards:

BEST SCORE AND MUSIC

Olivier Deriviere, A Plague Tale: Requiem

Tsukasa Saitoh, Elden Ring

Bear McCreary, God of War Ragnarök

Two Feathers, Metal: Hellsinger 

Yasunori Mitsuda, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 

Now the Grammys have a special category for video game scores. The first nominees are:

-Austin Wintory (Aliens: Fireteam Elite)
-Stephanie Economou (Assassin’s Creed Valhalla: Dawn Of Ragnarok)
-Bear McCreary (Call Of Duty: Vanguard)
-Richard Jacques (Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy)
-Christopher Tin (Old World)

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2022/11/15/65th-grammy-awards-nominations-announced/

43 minutes ago, MaxMovieMan said:

Are the God of War albums by Bear McCreary worth listening to?

It all depends of what you're hoping for.
I have to say I'm not enjoying them much.

I prefer his other video game scores. My favorite being Dark void

• 2 months later...

I just discovered there's a 2 hour Bravely Default concert on youtube and it's blowing my mind how awesome it is

• 3 weeks later...

These were the 5 nominees:

Aliens: Fireteam Elite – Austin Wintory
Call of Duty Vanguard – Bear McCreary
Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy – Richard Jacques
Old World – Christopher Tin

Assassin's Creed Valhalla: Dawn of Ragnarok – Stephanie Economou

3 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I believe I read somewhere that 2 albums will release Friday!

Amazing, I didn't know that! Googling helped, though:

As of today, fans are now able to stream or digitally purchase “Overture to the Unwritten.” All of the additional music from Hogwarts Legacy will be available on launch day on the Hogwarts Legacy (Original Video Game Soundtrack).

Additionally, songs from Hogwarts Legacy will be featured on a second album titled, Hogwarts Legacy (Study Themes From the Original Video Game Soundtrack), an album focusing on more ambient, chill, relaxing music that is ideal to listen to while studying for classes at Hogwarts or any school. Both albums will be released by WaterTower Music and will be available at all digital streaming services.

(Source)

6 hours ago, Jay said:

These were the 5 nominees:

Aliens: Fireteam Elite – Austin Wintory
Call of Duty Vanguard – Bear McCreary
Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy – Richard Jacques
Old World – Christopher Tin

Assassin's Creed Valhalla: Dawn of Ragnarok – Stephanie Economou

4 out of 5 of them are represented by Kraft-Engel.

3 out of 5 are USC scoring alumni.

2 hours ago, Dr. Know said:

I’m enjoying Hogwarts Legacy, especially the “Study Themes” album.  Just wish the tracks didn’t run into each other. 

The "main" album is great too, though. Honestly, I can't really tell if these are (partially) samples (it really doesn't sound that way) or all the way live orchestra (the Salt Lake Symphony, if I'm not mistaken). If it's samples, they've become a lot better lately. If it's all 100% live orchestra, kudos for recording 3 hours of it!