Video Game Music

Quintus

Sweet!

Question for you Lee, what previously released track would you think is the type of cue that McCartneys songwriting style would marry with?

Well, due to the annoyingly structured track editing of the Halo albums, it's difficult to point to a single track, but I'd definitely say:

In Amber Clad

The first three minutes of Tsavo Highway - Out of Shadow

The Ark - Farthest Outpost

Under Cover of Night

ONI Sword Base (pure McCartney intro!)

Overture (from Halo Reach)

Walking Away

At Any Cost

And of course, Halo Theme [Mjolnir Mix]

All very experimental McCartney imo (well, apart from the metal-esque last one), which is my favourite McCartney sound.

Well, due to the annoyingly structured track editing of the Halo albums, it's difficult to point to a single track, but I'd definitely say:

In Amber Clad, LOVE THIS

Tsavo Highway - Out of Shadow

The Ark - Farthest Outpost

Under Cover of Night

XXXXX - meh

Overture (from Halo Reach) - heard this before it's wonderful

Walking Away - heard this before, it's ok - not my favorite

At Any Cost

And of course, Halo Theme [Mjolnir Mix] - HOT

All very experimental McCartney imo (well, apart from the metal-esque last one), which is my favourite McCartney sound.

I really enjoyed 1-4 and the last. I enjoyed all but 5. I'm going to listen again and PM you the rest of my thoughts......

Have you guys ever heard of Nier? It's a fairly recent JRPG. Without playing the game, I listened to the soundtrack, and it has become my favourite soundtrack from any game. Ever. Listen to these two tracks.

Snow In Summer

Song the Ancients (Devola)

Just got finished playing KOTOR. The music works very well in spite of it's synthetic-ness. This track is a personal favorite of mine.

Yes, it's so good! And Soule's custom synths were some of the best for their time. I'm actually putting the finishing touches on an expanded soundtrack now (lots of added cutscene music and other things).

I'd have to say Michael Giacchino is the king of the video game music arena. Of course he's well known for the Medal of Honor series (see my take on the beautiful War Theme below), but my favorite is from a lesser known WWII LucasArts title - Secret Weapons Over Normandy (second clip below).

• 4 months later...

Hey guys, just very recently I discovered the game Wolf from 1995, and not only was the gameplay superb and inmensely creative, but it also had a soundtrack that really surprised, and as I couldn't find anything about it on YT, it decided to upload it myself:

It's simply fantastic.

• 1 month later...

I love the theme at 1:37. It makes me want to do the Egyptian dance. Probably my favorite VG soundtrack if not 20th Century Zelda.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXPgKEqZddQ

I'm quite into the lyrical and thematic -focused. The Americanized 'orchestrated' sound doesn't really do much for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Most of the FF videogame underscore is boring , so you have to listen to a lot of it and weed out a lot. And the OST's of most of the scores played with minimal synths and sound like midis. It's mostly the same themes that get orchestral re-recordings ,

Final Fantasy 13 is one of the better ones over all even if it's not Uematsu

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a nice article about the 20 year (and counting) collaboration between Peter McConnell and Tim Schafer, which most recently brought us the wonderful Broken Age.

Good article. I was the orchestrator on this game and will add that Peter is a terrific guy - very talented and wonderful to work with.

• 1 month later...

After a year of work I'm excited to finally present the first part of my Final Fantasy VIII Medley, featuring many talented musicians from the US, Japan, France, Spain and Egypt ! :)

• 3 months later...

Ok, let's start off with this monumental sounding score for the PS Vita game.

SOUL SACRIFICE (YASUNORI MITSUDA & WATARU HOKOYAMA)

It's big ! It's bold ! It's full on orchestral excellence !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh1WxJWro9c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yEtJK42exQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-3sFQm5ib8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdivae6NrAc

Resistance: Burning Skies and Gravity Rush both stood out to me, musically, on the Vita. The former being a full on orchestral action score. It's available on iTunes but I've yet to pick it up.

Resistance: Burning Skies is great, I totally recommend it ! Kevin Riepl and Jason Graves are the composers. Riepl knows his way around an orchestra and since Gears of War he is on my radar. His action music is excellent for the most part (Aliens Colonial Marines is a good example)

Graves is the one behind the Dead Space scores, which I don't like too much from a musical standpoint, mostly just orchestral textures and stingers and ambient noise. Though it creates an ambience in the games that is appropriate and creepy as hell.

There's so much talent working for games nowadays, it really is a source of constant inspiration where Hollywood now has too little of.

Resistance: Burning Skies is great, I totally recommend it ! Kevin Riepl and Jason Graves are the composers. Riepl knows his way around an orchestra and since Gears of War he is on my radar.

Koray doesn't listen to scores on the competing platform.

The original Gears was a fantastic brass heavy score packed with character. A really brawny work! Then for the sequels they replaced Riepl with Jablonsky and the music turned into some of the blandest generic shite I've ever heard in a game.

My video game music familiarity doesn't extend much beyond the borders of The Elder Scrolls, Halo, and old Super Mario franchise stuff. I haven't even heard Giacchino's MOH.

I love this. Think I've posted it before.

The original Gears was a fantastic brass heavy score packed with character. A really brawny work! Then for the sequels they replaced Riepl with Jablonsky and the music turned into some of the blandest generic shite I've ever heard in a game.

The third Gears is generic and way too long on album, totally agree with that, but I like the second Gears a lot. It served as a continuation of the first Transformers, which was all about themes and power anthems.

My video game music familiarity doesn't extend much beyond the borders of The Elder Scrolls, Halo, and old Super Mario franchise stuff. I haven't even heard Giacchino's MOH.

You need to hear MOH: Frontline on the double. Get up on your feet soldier, dive into the trenches and steal, borrow, buy or get it in any way you can. His best score IMO.