Jump to content

Video Game Music


Quintus
 Share

Recommended Posts

To my knowledge I haven't heard any of the music listed on that page, but I see lots of things I now want to check out, starting with the tribute to Octopath Traveler... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Jay said:

To my knowledge I haven't heard any of the music listed on that page, but I see lots of things I now want to check out, starting with the tribute to Octopath Traveler... 

 

Yeah I highly recommend those Tribute albums by Materia Collective (also known as Materia Community)

It started out in 2015 with a massive 5-CD tribute to FF7 (thus the name Materia) and since then dozens of albums have been produced !

I've played horn, trumpet and drums on a lot of them, also arranged a couple of tracks like this one :

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Marc said:

Materia Collective (also known as Materia Community)

 

Why did the name change?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Marc said:

 

Yeah I highly recommend those Tribute albums by Materia Collective (also known as Materia Community)

It started out in 2015 with a massive 5-CD tribute to FF7 (thus the name Materia) and since then dozens of albums have been produced !

I've played horn, trumpet and drums on a lot of them, also arranged a couple of tracks like this one :

 

 

 

 

3 hours ago, Jay said:

 

Why did the name change?

 

Was it that guy's attempt at rebranding after not paying anyone for their music and being a nutbag about it? I assumed the company went bye bye after that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally "Materia Collective" was just a collaboration between dozens of VGM artists to produce big Tribute albums, then it became an actual company which is a VGM record label and sheet music publisher.

So they came up with the new name "Materia Community" for the collab albums !

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

A 'synth mixes' version of The Tomb Raider Suite was released by Nathan McCree this week. He recretaed the entire Suite on the same synths used to make the original music for the games. I haven't got it - even backers of the Suite have to purchase it and I have no funds - but it's interesting nontheless.

 

He's also said he's going to release the original music to the first three games, remastered. THis will also include cutscene music.

 

At this stage, though, I feel The Dark Angel Symphony was a better deal - it reimagined the music of the later Tomb Raider games by Core, and automatically included the original game OSTs for 4, 5 and 6.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Been recently re-playing Transformers: The Game based on the 2007 movie, and I'm always struck by how much fun that game's score is. It's certainly better than the movie's music on a technical level, and is probably one of the best scores Steve Jablonsky has ever done (with co-composer Jonathon Flood). 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/4/2021 at 7:05 AM, SilverTrumpet said:

McConnell's still got it, that's for sure. 

 

I think this is his best score yet!  Very diverse and thrilling score with lots of atmosphere too!  Plus tons of big band, jazzy moments too along with the symphonic score.  Jack Black does a good rock song too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, karelm said:

I think this is his best score yet!  Very diverse and thrilling score with lots of atmosphere too!  Plus tons of big band, jazzy moments too along with the symphonic score.  Jack Black does a good rock song too.

 

I love it how Tim Schafer keeps getting this select group of celebrity fans into his games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

 

I love it how Tim Schafer keeps getting this select group of celebrity fans into his games.

Jack Black is a huge fan and a very wonderful advocate.  He is passionate about his love of music and kids and that's not a bad thing.  He also was on the cast of the 20th anniversary of Grim Fandango by the same team.  He was so kind and generous with his praise too!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/11/2021 at 9:30 AM, superultramegaa said:

Been recently re-playing Transformers: The Game based on the 2007 movie, and I'm always struck by how much fun that game's score is. It's certainly better than the movie's music on a technical level, and is probably one of the best scores Steve Jablonsky has ever done (with co-composer Jonathon Flood). 

 

Nice.  I like the clip.  Is this score available anywhere?  I would love to hear the whole album.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Michael Scorefan said:

Nice.  I like the clip.  Is this score available anywhere?  I would love to hear the whole album.

The entire score is available on YouTube through Transformers: The Game OST playlists. It's a lot of fun, but some sections are better than others. Generally I enjoy the Autobot music a lot more than the Decepticon ones. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.