Video Game Music

Quintus

I've been listening to the Legacy of Hogwarts albums as well, the OST and the study themes. It's all very nice. I was a little surprised to hear how much the soundtrack is based in JW's musical language, very similar textures and playfulness. I guess it makes sense. JW defined the HP sound before later composers went away from it. A lot of the music is more background, atmospheric stuff with meandering melodies, but that's probably due to videogames needed that kind of background music. Really nice stuff all around.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yes, very much so! The BOTW music is so PERFECT in-game, and I like listening to the OST album too (though I made several different playlists; I find listening to the released album as-is to be a bit of a slog)

3 hours ago, Exar Xan said:

With my preference to listen to scores chronological by story, is there a nice chronological order out there for these two albums of Hogwarts Legacy?

Is a chronological order of such a score even possible? I thought it was an open world game

17 minutes ago, enderdrag64 said:

Is a chronological order of such a score even possible? I thought it was an open world game

Well, there is still a main story, so at least that could go in order. And say the house themes all right after the sorting, followed by say all the class themes, stuff like that. 

Something like (depending if this music is even on there):

Main Theme
Prologue music
Sorting music
Common room music per house
Classes in whatever order sounds nice (although there seems to be a certain path for how you encounter some of them)
All the Hogsmeade music by whatever shop order is nice
Other area music
Main quests music
Side quest music
Whatever the big finale is and how it is represented (I have yet to finish watching the game so no idea)

11 hours ago, TolkienSS said:

Is anyone else very intrigued by what the score for TOTK will be like? I'm hoping for new music and not recycled stuff from BOTW, since all the trailers only had the BOTW theme.

The trailers have new music. In particular there is something of a new theme of sorta for when Link is skydiving.

On 01/02/2023 at 4:30 PM, Jay said:

This is on Amazon US now too

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BGN8XDGM

Not yet but it's on my list for Friday! 

I LOVE the main theme from the first game, and a lot of thr music from the first disc or so of the OST, but start to lose interest as the set goes on. Been meaning to make a highlights playlist but never got around to it

Yeah, the soundtrack release from the first game gets tiresome really soon. I think there's just too many loops on there. It doesn't help that it's 4 CDs long (though it feels weird to complain about that), but it's a gorgeous set.

Wow, I am checking out the Ocotopath II OST album now.  I'm in love with the first 2 tracks, new variations of the first game's theme. They are GREAT!

Just seeing now that the album is 7 hours+ long now..... bloody hell

Well I only got through an hour of the 7 hour album, but I loved what I heard.  Might be a better score than the first game's!

Yes there is, it's $55

https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/product/810923/octopath-traveler-ii-original-soundtrack-cd

It is 6 discs: https://vgmdb.net/album/125168

I'm almost 5 hours into it now, and I'm loving it!  This is great music for me to write code to on a long work day.

The OST album goes for 2 hours before even getting to the first battle music, incredible

I finished the whole album, and bloody hell it's good.  So much better than the Game 1 OST album.

There's only one poorly done section - a series of 7 "The Journey For ___" tracks almost all in a row that are almost all identical to each other, and 4 minutes each.  The main program should have only had one of them with the other six after the end credits like some of the other stuff here.

But damn, so much good music here, so many strong melodies.  And then the whole ending is nice piano based versions of the main theme.

Really good stuff :up: 

It's already out digitally

https://music.apple.com/jp/album/octopath-traveler-ii-original-soundtrack/1671486426

https://mora.jp/package/43000021/SQEX-10991-1/

https://ototoy.jp/_/default/p/1552899

Also CD Japan has the physical copies available to order too, since Square Enix's US store is currently out of stock

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/SQEX-10991

On 01/03/2023 at 4:44 PM, SilverTrumpet said:

I really never knew what people like about the Horizon music. It's about as generic as any modern Hollywood score to my ears.

Agree. I love the first Horizon game, but the score left no impression on me. Which is a shame, because it could've been so much more interesting. I haven't played Forbidden West yet, but it is sad to hear that the music remains generic.

I really want to play that game (the first one) at some point!  With Tears of the Kingdom only 9 weeks away though, it probably won't be until later this year or next year

I've been playing Hogwarts Legacy a lot lately. I'm pleasantly surprised (as others are) at how firmly rooted the music is in Williams' language for the series, particularly the first two films. However it's lacking strong cohesion, and repeatedly suffers from cues that are blatant soundalikes. The composers are very good at emulating Williams' music, but they're also good at emulating the likes of Thomas Newman and James Newton Howard in other parts of the game, as well as nods to Hooper and Doyle's contributions to Potter. Unfortunately it creates the overall effect of a rather unoriginal sound that stylistically swerves wildly on a frequent basis.

One minute you'll be trotting through the Forbidden Forest to something resembling Hooper's "Room of Requirement" and the next you're hearing the new-age harmonies and swells of Thomas Newman in the actual Room of Requirement. It's a rather jarring experience in my opinion, and I wish that there was a little more consistency in the musical approach. I'm also not at all fan of the cue that plays whenever you do the flying time trials - I have nothing against MIDI tracks when they're done well (as many cues in this score are), but blatant Williams rip-offs should at the very least be recorded with a real orchestra, otherwise his classic orchestration sounds terrible. It's too much, especially that awful french horn part playing right in the top register. 

But on the whole it's pretty good as an overall game music experience, and some cues are rather fantastic. I love the eerie Swamp music in the RoR, it uses the chords of Hedwig's Theme but slowed down, creating a very otherworldly sound.

13 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Just as bland as the game itself

I don't disagree. I played it not long after Breath of the Wild and it was garbage in comparison. Tried the second one even without a Zelda right next to it and it just felt like another generic AAA game made by AI.

I also have a conspiracy theory that nobody actually likes the series but they push it super hard and pretend its super popular by giving it away all the time, making it super super cheap, and bundling the game with hardware. The Horizon bundle of PS5 was always in stock for hours after the sku with no game went out of stock. For a console that people were so desperate to buy, lots of people wanted Horizon so little they wouldn't even buy the bundle.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, I cannot stop listening to the Octopath Traveler II soundtrack!

I cannot remember the last score I listened to where so many tracks have insanely good and catchy melodies. This is a masterpiece and the most exciting video game score in years.

Now I wish the physical CD edition would get back in stock on Square's site!

I love this forum and scores!!!

I listened to Octopath Traveler II just once. It took me days to get through the full 7 hours. There were some good moments but I wouldn't want to revisit it again.

I love that we both have such different opinions on the same score. And I always find it really interesting to hear what someone else likes so much about a score I don't really like much! 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Man, I cannot stop listening to the Octopath Traveler II soundtrack!

I cannot remember the last score I listened to where so many tracks have insanely good and catchy melodies. This is a masterpiece and the most exciting video game score in years.

Now I wish the physical CD edition would get back in stock on Square's site!

All of these (this, Bravely, etc) are great, but after Triangle Strategy, my standards are way too high.

I gotta listen to that one! Triangle Strategy I mean. I played the demo and liked the music in it, but didn't like the game enough to want to buy it, and then forgot to check out the OST album. 

Bravely Default is still my favorite discovery of recent years. Never played the game but love, LOVE the score. It's such a shame both sequel scores to it are nothing special. 

• 2 weeks later...

Woah!

Did you order from the Square Enix store?  If not, where did you order from?  And how did they fit six CDs in a case of some kind - I can't tell from that pic?

I've ordered from CD Japan, but with shipping and customs it was too expensive, in retrospect. The case is a regular 6-disc case, although I've only seen a similar case used on Wing Commander IV back in the day. The center piece and each flap hold 2 discs each.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Awesome thanks for that!

I'm ordering it from Square Enix's US store as soon as it goes back in stock there

I was just listening this morning in fact, probably my 5th or 6th listen.  Amazing album

Well, the official Xenoblade Chonicles 3 OST album has finally been announced!

It will be 9 hours long, 140 tracks!!

topimage-xb3-pc.jpg

Here's the official page for it:

https://www.procyon-studio.co.jp/special/xbostportal/en/xb3ost.html

Regular Edition (Digital): August 2, 2023 (Wednesday), ¥6,750 JPY (approx $50 USD)

Regular Edition (Physical 9-CD): August 2, 2023 (Wednesday), ¥7,260 JPY (approx $55 USD)

Limited Edition (9-CD): July 29, 2023 (Saturday),  ¥16,800 JPY (approx $125 USD)

There's no pre-order links for the Regular Edition yet

Limited Edition Pre-order link and extra stuff info:

https://www.procyon-store.com/en/products/xb3ostle

This Original Soundtrack contains 9 CDs of over 140 tracks (around 9 hours) that were used in Xenoblade Chronicles 3, released by Nintendo for the Nintendo Switch on July 29, 2022. On top of music included in the main game, music from the additional story in Expansion Pass Vol. 4 is also included. Having been nominated at The Game Awards 2022 for Best Score and Music, not only has the game received widespread praise but its music as well. Marking the anniversary of the game's release, the Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Original Soundtrack (Limited Edition) releases worldwide on July 29, 2023. (The Regular Edition releases on August 2, 2023.)

The packages of both the Limited Edition and the Regular Edition feature a new illustration made specifically for the soundtrack by Masatsugu Saito, who was in charge of the game's character design. The Limited Edition includes two 1/3 Scale Mini Replicas of the flutes used when recording the music, one of "Seishin no Fue" (Noah's flute) and one of "Kishin no Fue" (Mio's flute). Also included in the Limited Edition is a card featuring Masatsugu Saito's new illustration with printed signatures of the composers on the back side. The Limited Edition also includes an 80 page booklet, although many sections are only available in Japanese (please refer to the information below for more details).

The Limited Edition was created resembling a time capsule containing Noah, Mio, Eunie, Taion, Lanz and Sena's memories of their journey through the world of Xenoblade Chronicles 3. Together with their memories, we hope that you—as the player—can cherish your memories of the game with this Original Soundtrack.

Artists:
Yasunori Mitsuda / ACE (TOMOri Kudo, CHiCO) / Kenji Hiramatsu / Manami Kiyota / Mariam Abounnasr / Yutaka Kunigo

Approximate Product Size:
Length 195mm x Width 146mm x Height 60mm

Product Code:
SBPS-0058~66

Sales Region:
Worldwide

Label:
SLEIGH BELLS

Manufactured by:
PROCYON STUDIO CO., LTD.

(P)&(C) Nintendo / MONOLITHSOFT
(C) 2022, 2023 SEPTIMA LEY CO., LTD.

Product Details

■ CDs (9 dics)
■ Deluxe Booklet (80 pages)
■ Deluxe Box
■ Digipacks
■ Seishin no Fue (Noah's flute) 1/3 Scale Mini Replica
■ Kishin no Fue (Mio's flute) 1/3 Scale Mini Replica
■ Photograph-style Illustration
■ Composers' Autograph and Message Card

*The CDs (9 discs) have the same music as the Regular Edition.
*The Mini Replicas cannot be played as an instrument.

Deluxe Booklet Contents (80 pages)

■ Music List

■ Liner Notes

Liner notes written by the composers themselves.
*This section is only available in Japanese.

■ Interlink

A list with all of the Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 musical motifs that were used in Xenoblade Chronicles 3.

■ Lyrics

■ Composer's Corner

Interviews with the main composers, Yasunori Mitsuda, ACE (TOMOri Kudo, CHiCO), Kenji Hiramatsu and Manami Kiyota.

■ Affinity Chart

Comments by those with a connection (affinity) to the main composers.

■ Off-Seer

A discussion between Yasunori Mitsuda and the shinobue artisan, Hidekatsu, about the creation of "Seishin no Fue" (Noah's flute) and "Kishin no Fue" (Mio's flute).

■ Message

A message by Executive Director Tetsuya Takahashi.

■ Credits

"Seishin no Fue" (Noah's flute)
"Kishin no Fue" (Mio's flute)
1/3 Scale Mini Replicas

The Limited Edition includes a 1/3 Scale Mini Replica of "Seishin no Fue" (Noah's flute) and a 1/3 Scale Mini Replica of "Kishin no Fue" (Mio's flute).

Material: ABS
Mini Replica Size:
"Seishin no Fue" (Noah's flute): length 176mm, diameter 9mm
"Kishin no Fue" (Mio's flute): length 135mm, diameter 8mm
*The Mini Replicas cannot be played as an instrument.

They are also putting out a Limited Edition 20-CD box set with music from all 5 games/expansions for  ¥20,000 JPY, which is about $150 US.

https://www.procyon-studio.co.jp/special/xbostportal/en/xbosttble.html

Xenoblade Chronicles
Definitive Edition

Xenoblade Chronicles
Future Connected

Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Torna ~ The Golden Country

Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Expansion Pass Vol.4
LIMITED EDITION
2023.7.29 RELEASE
Pre-order Time Period
April 4, 2023 5:00pm - April 30, 2023 11:59pm (JST)

*    All who order the Limited Edition during the Pre-order Time Period listed above are guaranteed to receive their order.
*    Although copies of the Limited Edition may still be available after the above Pre-order Time Period has passed, sales will end once the Limited Edition is sold out.
*    Due to being a Limited Edition, once it is sold out production will not resume.
*    If you order other items together with the Limited Edition, all items will be shipped together on or after July 29, 2023.
*    It is not possible to cancel nor change your order after it is sent.
BUY

Yasunori Mitsuda / ACE (TOMOri Kudo, CHiCO) / Kenji Hiramatsu / Manami Kiyota / Yoko Shimomura / Mariam Abounnasr / Yutaka Kunigo
The Xenoblade Chronicles Original Soundtrack Trinity Box (Limited Edition) contains the following four original soundtracks: the Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition Original Soundtrack, the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Original Soundtrack, the Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna ~ The Golden Country Original Soundtrack and the Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Original Soundtrack. It also includes a 56-page booklet featuring messages by the Xenoblade Chronicles series' Executive Director Tetsuya Takahashi and main composers, Yasunori Mitsuda, ACE (TOMOri Kudo, CHiCO), Kenji Hiramatsu and Manami Kiyota. The messages are also in English!

I believe this is the ONLY way to get Future Connected and Torna on physical disc!

Anyways, I couldn't find any pics of either box, or the tracklist for XB3, anywhere yet.

I'm torn because I already own XB2 on physical CD, yet I'd love to have Future Connected and Torna on physical disc.  And then the Limited of XB3 has some cool stuff...but the price!  

Do you ever actually listen to all the Soundtracks you buy?

That's the reason I stopped buying them, I was buying out of habit but never listened beyond a few tracks once.

Just now, TolkienSS said:

Do you ever actually listen to all the Soundtracks you buy?

Yes.

Just now, TolkienSS said:

That's the reason I stopped buying them, I was buying out of habit but never listened beyond a few tracks once.

Sorry to hear that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...