What I did on my lunch break today

David Coscina

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the octatonic scale. Bartok used this quite a bit in his music. So did Stravinsky. Examples of Williams using it can be found in that descending line when they find Crissie's remains on the beach in Jaws. I think Williams uses it quite a bit in War of the Worlds too. It pops up in his work throughout his career actually. Silvestri used it a bit in Predator with those ascending string lines. A lot of composers dig it because it's so atypical and off kilter.

Example of a octatonic scale in C (play along!)

C, C#, D#, E, F#, G, A, A#, C

It's the octatonic scale. Bartok used this quite a bit in his music. So did Stravinsky. Examples of Williams using it can be found in that descending line when they find Crissie's remains on the beach in Jaws. I think Williams uses it quite a bit in War of the Worlds too. It pops up in his work throughout his career actually. Silvestri used it a bit in Predator with those ascending string lines. A lot of composers dig it because it's so atypical and off kilter.

Example of a octatonic scale in C (play along!)

C, C#, D#, E, F#, G, A, A#, C

There's also a great string passage in the middle of Battle of Yavin based on this scale :)