Favorite obscure films?

ChuckM

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the darkest, grimmest film I've ever seen!

Ha, it is pretty dark indeed but I do find something disturbingly beautiful about it .....and it certainly made me consider formal piano lessons!

In fact, I think it could be on tonights viewing menu :)

Hehe, strange, for I couldn't discover anything beautiful or positive in it.

I've never seen the original but I love Vanilla Sky except for the ending when suddenly Irving The Explainer shows up.

You should certainly check out the original.

Although the film isn't built solely on its revelations ....it may lessen the impact slightly, well worth watching though!

Hehe, strange, for I couldn't discover anything beautiful or positive in it.

Ha :lol:

I'm just fascinated by all the dark sexual energy :devil:

"The Last Supper"

(with a barely servicable score by Mark Mothersbaugh)

As I recall, a group of friends end up accidently killing this asshole guy, then they figure ... why not make humanity a better place and start killing off Neo Nazi's and so forth, by inviting them to dinner and poisoning them.

The backyard starts to become full, tension among members, then a police officer starts investigating...

It's amazing. I need to watch it again.

I wonder if this thread is almost like a game to some. I mean, a lot of us are film geeks so trying to show a film geek something obscure is not the easiest thing. I mean, I've not seen everything here but there's only one movie mentioned that I've never actually heard of.

I wonder if this thread is almost like a game to some. I mean, a lot of us are film geeks so trying to show a film geek something obscure is not the easiest thing. I mean, I've not seen everything here but there's only one movie mentioned that I've never actually heard of.

My thinking in starting the thread was to find some new movie suggestions, but it does seem to be turning into a bit of a competition. :P

I wonder if this thread is almost like a game to some. I mean, a lot of us are film geeks so trying to show a film geek something obscure is not the easiest thing.

It doesn't help that "obscure" isn't easily definable in this context. For example, I'd like to mention The Hallelujah Trail - hardly an obscure film, and by a well known director with a star cast, but I fear few people these days have seen it.

I mean, I've not seen everything here but there's only one movie mentioned that I've never actually heard of.

Which one would that be?

Yeah, I've been a fan of Aussie cinema since "...Paris", but I also like "A Town Like Alice", "An Angel At My Table", "They're A Weird Mob", and "The Mosquito Coast". It never ceases to amaze me how a country can have such an outstanding film industry, and, yet, produce such crap T.V. ("Phoenix 5", anyone?).

Yeah, tell me about it. Neighbours, Home and Away, The Sullivans. Utter garbage. But there have been some good ones too. Kingswood Country, an absolute politically incorrect classic. Love it

Is it that you don't like the Australian film industry, Drax, or don't like certain Auatralian directors? Personally, I like the works of Peter Wier ("Fearless" is magnificent!), Jane Campion, Richard Rush, and George Miller, but I think that the world would probably be better off without the "talent" of Baz Lurhman.

Certain individual filmmakers are good, although they often make the great leap to Hollywood and rarely ever return, but the industry itself has become far too reliant on government subsidies for the last 20 years, creating a culture of creative bankruptcy and laziness. I'm also sick of seeing the same actors in our movies all the time like they have some monopoly on the casting. I want to see some more varied talent.