Megaworld

Koray Savas

I don't know when this happened, but it appears Megaupload has expanded to cover almost ever type of online storage or software out there. They are now called Megaworld and one of their most notable sub-divisions is Megabox. It's essentially iTunes without downloading the software. You can upload your music onto the site and listen to it from any other computer. They also have their own store for listening to and buying music. There is a friends and messages section, so it could be somewhat like Ping and LastFM as well. It says you can share music, which is probably the aspect of most concern. I'm interested in how it works, I've only just logged in (if you have an account with any of the sub-divisions, it works on everything else). So anyone here who has a Megaupload account, or anyone who just wants to sign up now, would you care to try it out and search my name? I've tried searching random names to see if anyone would pop up, just to see how it works, and no results were found.

Could be a useful tool for people who want to listen to their music at work and don't want to lug around an iPod or CDs.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno . I'm a bit wary about "cloud based music" you can stream from anywhere. How long before they start scanning all your music to check that everything is legal (because they are forced to by the record industry)

If itunes does something like this, nothing can stop them from requiring a "proof of purchase" for every song you have on there. And if it REALLY takes off with the masses , then they could eventually drop actual MP3 file support from ipods leaving your home collection of files useless. I know the record industry would love this as a mean to regain total control over contents

I dunno . I'm a bit wary about "cloud based music" you can stream from anywhere. How long before they start scanning all your music to check that everything is legal (because they are forced to by the record industry)

And how exactly would they be able to tell the difference between an MP3 ripped from your own CD, and an MP3 illegally downloaded?

well I dunno . A track or cue list from a bootleg that doesn't match databases or something. Would you trust them (or a similar service in itunes) enough to have the HPSS recording sessions uploaded there permanently? Or your custom SW Prequel scores containing illegally ripped unreleased music ?

And how exactly would they be able to tell the difference between an MP3 ripped from your own CD, and an MP3 illegally downloaded?

Watermarks?

But even if you download something off the internet, it originally came from someone ripping the CD to their harddrive. It would still have the watermarks. That only really works for actual 35mm prints, which are controlled by the studios. Apparently one of the biggest bootleggers lives(ed) in the Baltimore area, and so they put watermarks on all the films showing in the theaters, and when a bootleg would hit the net, they'd see the watermark and know exactly which theater he went to, and then they'd put cameras in that(those) theaters. I don't know if they ever caught him or not.

Point is if the future of music is the "cloud" where you only stream music through a connected device without having any files on it, it gives back all the power to the record companies and were screwed