21. Tron Legacy (End Titles)

22. Finale

Disc: 2

1. Encom Part I

2. Encom Part II

3. Round One

4. Castor

5. Reflections

After seeing the latest preview, I need to re-watch Tron again.

I could have sworn

Jeff Bridges made it out of the computer in the original.

Champing at the bit (no pun intended!) for this one!

I could have sworn

Of course he did, but a (rather nasty) version of Clu remains inside.

I could have sworn

The new trailer appears to contradict that.

I could have sworn

I think the idea is that he went back inside between the last one and this one. Wikipedia says "He disappeared in 1989 while in the midst of developing a "a digital frontier that will reshape the human condition."

Unfortunately the soundtrack has been put back to December 7th ;)

There is a BIG difference between album release music, like Daft Punk's normal projects, and scores for film. You can't have a crap ton of things going on in the music or the viewer will be distracted from the movie itself. That's why the depth is so toned down (though I think they got a really good balance to just how much depth they could give it for the film application)

;):huh::blink:

I could have sworn

Perhaps stuff happened in the computer game (there's an irony!) TRON 2.0 that says what happened to Clu/Jeff Bridges?

Perhaps stuff happened in the computer game (there's an irony!) TRON 2.0 that says what happened to Clu/Jeff Bridges?

From http://tron.wikia.com/wiki/Tron_2.0:

According to Tron Legacy director Joseph Kosinski and Tron director Steven Lisberger, Tron 2.0 is not canon with Tron and Tron Legacy. However, some elements from Tron 2.0 do pop up in canon, such as Flynn's mysterious disappearance.

Bruce Boxleitner reprises his role from the original movie as Alan Bradley. Cindy Morgan, who also starred in the original movie, voices a new character Ma3a...Rebecca Romijn-Stamos provides the voice of Mercury. A new Light Cycle design was contributed to the game by Syd Mead. The game explained the Tron arcade game, which appears in-game, and film as based on Kevin Flynn's experiences inside ENCOM in the original film.

I don't know what it says about Flynn, but it shouldn't mention Clu since he was de-rezzed in the first film.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought we had a Tron Legacy thread but I couldn't find it. So I'll post this here:

"Daft Punk would like to thank: Brian Loucks, Hans Zimmer, John Powell, Harry Gregson-Williams and Cristophe Beck for their generosity."

The score was also mixed at RCP. You will never escape the Hans!!! :lol:

I thought we had a Tron Legacy thread but I couldn't find it. So I'll post this here:

"Daft Punk would like to thank: Brian Loucks, Hans Zimmer, John Powell, Harry Gregson-Williams and Cristophe Beck for their generosity."

I think Zimmer and Co should be thanking them, this is the best thing to have their names on in decades.

Screw Zimmer, they should be thanking Wendy Carlos!

After listening to some of the samples I can see why they might thank Hans and co. There are some similarities to Zimmer's Batman and RC style.

Tron: Legacy.

Strange is perhaps what best describes this score. It's weird. It shouldn't be good. There are parts that sound Zimmeresque...but it's also very different, and beyond anything Zimmer could concoct. (But no, none of the Marks, Fiery Angels, Crichtons, Joeys, Hornists or that exacting crowd will find anything worthwhile in this soundtrack). But it's actually dare I say...good.

It's definitely a score I can recommend in that it is an intriguing journey from beginning to end. There is a feeling of familiarity buried in the score somewhere, and yet there is something genuinely fresh and vital about it. It's strange, but I never thought I would describe such a electronicy score as something that fills me with the invigorating fresh feeling of a cool summer's eve or exciting spring day.

Almost like butterflies in your stomach.

Anyways, let the controversy ensue.

I can give you that. Jerrald would definitely be proud of this.

But there's some great almost purely orchestral music as well. Tron: Legacy has some of the best string writing I've heard in a while.

And probably the best marriage of electronics and orchestra since, well, a certain young man named Jerrald.

A bold statement. I think Don Davis did a superb job with the 'Matrix' scores.

Well, Zimmer and the INCEPTION sound is all over TRON, so I'm not surprised he worked as "consultant" (if that is indeed his title). But it's still fresh, original and adorably retro at the same time. This is easily one of the best scores of the year.

The "Inception sound"?

That one way to put me off.

It's more RCP than Daft Punk - you can easily pick out the 'pure' DP cues (Derezzed, Son of Flynn), the rest often has those fat bass ostinati of DARK KNIGHT and INCEPTION wobbling underneath, but better synths on top. It's a good album, but it sure ain't original or groundbreaking.

It's more RCP than Daft Punk - you can easily pick out the 'pure' DP cues (Derezzed, Son of Flynn), the rest often has those fat bass ostinati of DARK KNIGHT and INCEPTION wobbling underneath, but better synths on top. It's a good album, but it sure ain't original or groundbreaking.

You know, following your logic, any score with big bold trumpeted fanfares is not original or groundbreaking. Which means because Star Wars is filled with bold fanfares played on trumpets it's a rip off of every Golden Age score that came before it. And I can't wrap my head around that thinking.

No I don't think you can pass judgement on originality or freshness out of individual elements, because thats renders everything unoriginal. There's something more to it than that, namely the way it comes together. This score doesn't come together like anything in Inception, outside of little individual bits and pieces here and there that recall its Hans Zimmer consultant.

It is the synthesis of various trains of thought, and therefore it's in the original category for me.

I'll check it out.

If this disappoints Blume, me and you are done.

Bah! Don't bother. You probably won't like it.

Like I said, most people won't like this, and will quickly dismiss it as electronic Zimmer....because it has electronics that extend into 20Hz.

I'll check it out.

If this disappoints Blume, me and you are done.

Bah! Don't bother. You probably won't like it.

Like I said, most people won't like this, and will quickly dismiss it as electronic Zimmer....because it has electronics that extend into 20Hz.

I may surprise you. You're forgetting that I'm not as musically rigid as some of the other posters here.

No I don't think you can pass judgement on originality or freshness out of individual elements, because thats renders everything unoriginal.

Good. Then i don't judge it out of individual elements. Ohh, it's still full of TRANSFORMERS, INCEPTION and MASS EFFECT and as pleasing as the album is, i had hoped for less current blockbuster style and more Daft Punk.

The "Inception sound"?

That one way to put me off.

I would agree the most with this statement, although it's nothing I'd want to listen to away from the film. Plus given the ADD styled previews, I'm sure the music fits the film.

(But no, none of the Marks, Fiery Angels, Crichtons, Joeys, Hornists or that exacting crowd will find anything worthwhile in this soundtrack).

I'll let you know when I see the movie. ;)

This sounds really good. I may pick it up.

No I don't think you can pass judgement on originality or freshness out of individual elements, because thats renders everything unoriginal.

Good. Then i don't judge it out of individual elements. Ohh, it's still full of TRANSFORMERS, INCEPTION and MASS EFFECT and as pleasing as the album is, i had hoped for less current blockbuster style and more Daft Punk.

Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 have grown on me a lot. There's definitely more going on than the usual blockbuster shlock.