The KotCS thread

ChuckM

I just got back from the movie, and I thought it was fantastic! It does not follow the book very closely at all, but it works so well as a movie.

The Dawn Treader design was exactly as I had imagined it while reading the book, and the casting was perfect I particularly enjoyed the running banter between Eustace and Reepicheep.

I wholeheartedly recommend you go see it. It's by far the most enjoyable of the three so far.

Oh, yeah, and the score is great too. I personally enjoyed it outside of the film, but it really fits perfectly in the proper context.

BTW, if you're confused about the thread title, see here.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe you actually created this thread! :lol:

Seriously, I haven't seen Narnia 3 yet, but I'm looking forward to it. I remember Dawn Treader was my favorite book when I was a kid. Such a great read. I need to read it again, along with The Hobbit.

And the score so far seems good, I like it better than DH1. However, I can't seem to sit listen to any of both in a complete form. Or I'll jump to highlights or I'll start listening and get distracted and start listening something else. Maybe it's me, maybe I have short attention--- Oh look a blue car!!!!! :P

However, as I've said before, I love that it sounds purely orchestral. Even my favorite score of the year, HTTYD, doesn't sound as pure as this one. I would love to hear more modern scores with a purely orchestral sound, like this one. Oh, and I almost forget... I love "Duel"! I know it's a POTC-tracking case, but I think what Arnold did with it it's much better. Listen to Badelt's theme first, and then Arnold's... Arnold's theme seems to have a sense of excitment and swashbuckling that Badelt didn't achieve. I would love to hear Arnold do his own "Cutthroat Island".

Ummmmm....

Reepicheep.jpg

puss_in_boots_new_shrek.JPG

Interesting, but that could only make Puss-in-Boots a copy of Reepicheep, as Reepicheep's character was pretty much taken from the book as written. (Although I do think coincidence is probably a bit more likely.)

I just got back from the movie, and I thought it was fantastic... and the score is great too.

Glad to hear it Chuck.

I like the first two pretty well (both films and scores), though the second less so.

Nice to hear this latest one is an improvement.

Nadal is far to dedicated a sportsman to be distracted by acting in films.

It's obviously been a long time since you saw The Neverending Story!

Best...tennisplayer...ever!

Not at all. Best butt picker? Perhaps.

No he isn't! But the kid playing Caspian has his hairdo.

Nadal is far to dedicated a sportsman to be distracted by acting in films.

Best...tennisplayer...ever!

My mother and a few of my old aunts prefer Roger Federer

I haven't seen any of these movies or read any of the books, but I keep hearing that they're full of Christian allegories, but I don't see anything about Jesus in the trailers or posters. What's it got to do with it?

Aslan is a Christ-figure, most explicitly in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, and The Last Battle. Additionally, Lewis explores various themes of Christianity and faith in the books. However, the stories stand well on their own. I think it's simply a matter of if the style of storytelling works for you, and if those elements would be too bothersome. I recommend you give them a shot, as they are quite enjoyable.

While I liked the first film initially, I've found myself a bit offput with the series. I still haven't seen the second one, and I'd like to see the new one, but there's a certain candy-like glossiness that I detect, as though they aren't really taken all that seriously. I don't think they should be handled tonally in the fashion of LOTR, but filmmaking quality closer to that level would be very desirable. I almost want them to just get this run out of the way so that a more mature approach can be taken some years down the road.