John Williams Dust Collectors

Josh500

OK, here are mine:

1. The Missouri Breaks: I think I've never listened to this album in its entirety.

2. 1941: Apart from the march and the Jaws reference, I can't remember anything about this score.

3. Always: OK, this might be not so bad (kinda like Stepmom), but I listen to it very very rarely.

4. Rosewood: Maybe this is not so bad, but I never had a chance to find out.

5. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (yes, I know what you think, but I never got into this one): I just can't get into this score. For a while I liked the version found on the Spielberg/Williams collaboration album, but I may have listened to this album in its entirety only once or twice.

Apart from these, I listen to most other JW score on a regular basis. Also, I MUCH prefer the scores from the 90s and 00s over the ones from 80s and 70s (and 60s), with a few notable exceptions, of course.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of them stay in a cabinet since I don't use them after they're ripped onto my computer.

But in terms of the stuff I seldom listen to, and I'm sticking with post-1969, I guess Missouri Breaks, Rosewood, Sleepers, The River.

5. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (yes, I know what you think, but I never got into this one): I just can't get into this score. For a while I liked the version found on the Spielberg/Williams collaboration album, but I may have listened to this album in its entirety only once or twice.

:|

:|

?! :o ?! How the fuck can the greatest masterpiece by J.W. EVER end up as a dust collector???!!!

Personally, now matter how little any of some of my scores by J.W., or anyone else, are played, I would never get rid of them, as they go to complete the set.

Personally, now matter how little any of some of my scores by J.W., or anyone else, are played, I would never get rid of them, as they go to complete the set.

Well, me neither. I have never sold a John Williams album in my life. :)

Josh500, don't you think you'll feel better at home at yannifan.com?

No man, that's your home.

I guess Missouri Breaks, Rosewood, Sleepers, The River.

As to Sleepers, the last track is awesome and one of the best JW endings, IMO!

Well, like I said, that's just me.

I love Jaws, E.T., Superman, Raiders, Star Wars, Jurassic Park, or any other JW score that is generally considered a masterpiece. But for some reason I never "got into" CE3K.

Dunno why.

I'm actually more shocked with the mention of Sleepers than Close Encounters, although neither deserves to be called a dust collector

Well, just to clarify, I am not calling CE3K a dust collector.

I am just saying, I myself rarely listen to it (i.e. for me it's a dust collector on my shelf).

There's a difference.

Quite a few JW scores are becoming dust collectors, mainly because of all the new releases. But then many other composers are becoming dust collectors as well.

It just taking longer for them to get into the rotation.

I'm actually more shocked with the mention of Sleepers than Close Encounters, although neither deserves to be called a dust collector

Perhaps if, like me, you have heard "Hell's Kitchen" performed live (by the LSO, no less) you might change your mind about "Sleepers".

I haven't gotten into CE3K either, but it's not a dust collector on my shelf because I never bothered to buy it. I don't even like the main theme. But that's coming from someone who really enjoys the Stepmom theme, so who cares what I think? :)

Hmm . . . tough to actually think of five--although you did say "top 5," which doesn't necessarily mean I never listen to them (or worse, disrespect them), but rather that they're simply those I don't listen to as often as the others.

In that case:

- Always - This one's a legitimate DC. Aside from the main theme (best rendered in the Spielberg/Williams Collection), it "always" comes off like a narcolepsy telethon.

- 1941 - Just never had any use for anything beyond the main theme.

- Stepmom - Again, a good main-themer, but too sleepy for most of the rest of it.

- Fiddler on the Roof - Never actually saw the movie, so I've never really gotten into the score.

- The Fury - I may get roasted for this--and let it be known that I do think this is a marvelous score. Like I said before, this is one just doesn't get as much attention as the rest of the collection.

- Uni

Minority Report

Saving Private Ryan

Rosewood

Presumed Innocent

Stepmom

Minority Report and Saving Private Ryan are actually two of my favorite JW scores from the 90s and 00s!

Hymn to the Fallen and A New Beginning are two of the best pieces, IMO. :)

- The Fury - I may get roasted for this--and let it be known that I do think this is a marvelous score. Like I said before, this is one just doesn't get as much attention as the rest of the collection.

Damn, I wish I had this score!

You dislike EVERY track from Minority Report?

Its WAY better of a score than War Of The Worlds, no?

I prefer Minority over War, but they are both great scores. But Born on the Fourth of July probably tops both of them.

Every Williams score has some outstanding tracks including the "dust collectors" by the way, including the ones on my list. You can find something to put on a "best of" compilation in each of his scores

That is what differentiates Williams from every other composer

Well, if I wanna give an example of a great JW score, Images wouldn't be the one to come to mind, is all I'm saying.

Didn't see your post before mine. I was talking to Josh. He asked us if he should get Images and Cinderella Liberty, and as we know, Josh will buy anything JW related if anyone says it's good.

Anyone... but you, of course.

All of them stay in a cabinet since I don't use them after they're ripped onto my computer.

Likewise. After I rip my CD's, they go up on the CD rack and never really touched again, unless for some reason I need to re-rip them.

Well, if I wanna give an example of a great JW score, Images wouldn't be the one to come to mind, is all I'm saying.

Didn't see your post before mine. I was talking to Josh. He asked us if he should get Images and Cinderella Liberty, and as we know, Josh will buy anything JW related if anyone says it's good.

Anyone... but you, of course.

You'd probably buy a JW score even if everyone said it was bad.

:lol:

Couldn't tell ya, because there is no such JW score!

Likewise. After I rip my CD's, they go up on the CD rack and never really touched again, unless for some reason I need to re-rip them.

Well, same here, of course.

When I say dust collector, I just mean a score that you rarely listen to, in one form or another. ;)

Oh I forgot Cinderella Liberty .

It's at the bottom of the Williams scores I own (which is all of them).

I'm afraid this one doesn't even have a "save for compilation " track

For me it's Schindler's List - it's brilliant, but emotionally too difficult to listen more than only once or twice a year.

On the other hand I often return to Sleepers and The River, which many find underwhelming.

As for scores which I'm not interested in, like Always, Presumed Innocent or Missouri Break, I just don't buy them.

I'm missing a lot of the "bottom of the barrel" (for most people) releases too from my collection, but among what I do have those that get little play time: Seven Years in Tibet, Nixon, Empire of the Sun (will be skewered for that one), War of the Worlds, and The River.

Images is one of my favorite Williams scores, period, and The Missouri Breaks is always a fun if infrequent listen.

munich, geisha, terminal, aotc, minority report.

hook, last crusade, amistad, schindler's list, spr, (2nd five)

My least favorite period is the 60s and 70s, except for the obvious blockbusters like Jaws, Star Wars, Jaws 2, Superman, etc.

The 90s were actually a great time. Right after Schindler, maybe there was a (brief) period where he wrote rather difficult, hard to listen to scores, but I still like these scores.

Definitely every JW score has a highlight or three making it worth listening to every so often, but my least-spinned JW CDs are Presumed Innocent, Sabrina, Sleepers, Stepmom and Fitzwilly.

Like The River. Overall the score is meh, but then you have Ancestral Home which is like one his best "anthem like" cues

A fine example. :)

Try cuing "The Ancestral Home" at the climax of "The Color Purple", starting from when Whoopi Goldberg sees a car coming toward the house. Honestly, it works.