John Williams Dust Collectors

Josh500

I'm actually more shocked with the mention of Sleepers than Close Encounters, although neither deserves to be called a dust collector

Perhaps if, like me, you have heard "Hell's Kitchen" performed live (by the LSO, no less) you might change your mind about "Sleepers".

I would give a kidney to hear that piece performed live. Sleepers is my favorite score of the 90's

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sabrina, Nixon, Amistad, Stepmom, Presumed Innocent. Turns out Williams of the 90's was meh.

Karol

I accept your differing opinion, but I feel the need to defend Sabrina. Of all Williams' non-action scores, this one is the warmest, most melodic, and most enjoyable for me. A lot of his other non-action scores get boring because it's just a standard swell of strings here and an unremarkable pluck of the harp there. All forgettable.

But Sabrina has several memorable melodies that are woven beautifully throughout the score so it is extremely listenable (assuming you can stand dramatic music at all). The only part of the score I don't care for is the dinner party music (i.e., elevator music), pleasant as it is.

Empire of the Sun (will be skewered for that).

As soon as I finish off my lamb shish kebab, I'm coming round your place.

Honestly, John, mate, how can you not like EOTS?

I'll kick him the next time we get together.

It just occurred to me, no JW score from the 90s and 00s is a dust collector for me.

No, not even KotCS! :P

They are all (utter) masterpieces.

Empire of the Sun (will be skewered for that).

As soon as I finish off my lamb shish kebab, I'm coming round your place.

Honestly, John, mate, how can you not like EOTS?

I'll kick him the next time we get together.

EOTS is one of my all-time favorites. JW never wrote something quite like this again.

Josh, it is an insult to say all of John's works from the 90 and 00's are utter masterpieces. They are not all utter masterpieces. It's a disservice to call lessor works a masterpiece, it devalues the real masterpieces.

They are not all equal of each other.

Hmmm, even Rosewood and The Missouri Breaks?

Rosewood is brilliant. Along with Amistad, it's my favourite of Williams' "serious" drama scores of the 90s and 00s. In fact, my copy is collecting less dust than Superman.

After the mentions of CEK3 and The Fury, this thread is really missing ESB to complete the insanity.

EOTS is one of my all-time favorites. JW never wrote something quite like this again.

Yeah he did. His dramatic material ever since is rooted in Empire of the Sun. It's his go-to style for 90s and 2000s more serious works as well as Star Wars and even Schindler's List.

It's an important, milestone JW score.

Of the albums I own, these are the least listened to:

Return of the Jedi (I know... I'm not a big fan of the film so it's not very ingrained in my psyche)

Far and Away (Maybe listened to it twice, haven't seen the film)

Seven Years in Tibet (haven't seen this film either, so my appreciation may change)

Munich (Outside of the end credits piece I've barely listened to it

Nixon (... Er yes, haven't seen this one either. maybe that's what I should be wasting my holidays with, as opposed to working and sleeping).

Josh, it is an insult to say all of John's works from the 90 and 00's are utter masterpieces. They are not all utter masterpieces. It's a disservice to call lessor works a masterpiece, it devalues the real masterpieces.

Joey speaks the truth.

Heartbeeps. I've tried several times. Never get further than 3 or 4 tracks in.

John Goldfarb, Please Come Home! I keep this around only to show the occasional person how awful Williams could be in his early career.

The Lost World. I keep this around to remind myself that John Williams is completely capable of phoning it it.

The rest get pretty frequent play.

Joey speaks the truth.

Only a moron would think that, if you praise one thing, you are automatically devaluing another thing. But I won't go into that.

Obviously I exaggerated when I said "they are all (utter) masterpieces." I still like all of them, though.

Yeah he did. His dramatic material ever since is rooted in Empire of the Sun. It's his go-to style for 90s and 2000s more serious works as well as Star Wars and even Schindler's List.

It's an important, milestone JW score.

Hmmmm, yes.

Still, IMO EOTS is somehow unique.