Pete Postlethwaite dies at 64

Quintus

http://www.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/int/news/-/news/entertainment-arts-12106753

He was a cracking actor, easily holding his own against many of cinema's heavyweights. I'll miss his distinctive presence and that great expressive face of his.

"The best actor in the world" - Steven Spielberg.

RIP

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of actors pass away and I don't feel much. But I am really, really saddned by this. He was one of my favorite actors, never failed to brighten any film he was in. A terrible loss of a marvelous actor.

How odd! Yesterday, for some reason, I decided to watch The Usual Suspects and now I hear he passed away.

Even stranger is that I watched Inception yesterday. Given the small role he played in it...

I liked him as well. Classy actor indeed. He had a very memorable role in Brute. It might not be a terribly good film, but that's how I remember him.

R.I.P.

Karol

I had no idea he was ill. I'm very sad to hear this. He always managed to bring something extra to any film he was in, even if it was just a small role. Sad news indeed.

I wouldn't exactly say he "starred in Inception" as CNN is reporting (in addition to noting his "bulbous nose"). It was a blink-and-you'll-miss-it role? He was criminally underused in many films, such as that one.

I liked him.

Didn't recognize the name when seeing the news scroll bar this morning, but when seeing the face I immediately recognized him.

Oh well. Only the other day I saw him on repeats of Sharpe, being typically mischevious. Rest in Peace.

How odd! Yesterday, for some reason, I decided to watch The Usual Suspects and now I hear he passed away.

Even stranger is that I watched Inception yesterday. Given the small role he played in it...

Ironically, it was a role in which he was very, very convincing.

Oh no.

I can't even remember the last film I've seen with a normal-sized role for Postlethwaite. He wasn't in a lot of big movies, but then, those probably were not the kind of movies he was made for. Although even when he went the big Hollywood blockbuster route once in a while, he was marvellous (see Dragonheart).

Still, this was probably more his cup of tea:

Poslethwaite had this special ability to express both melancholy and comfort at the same time with a single look. Undoubtedly one of my favourite actors.

Oh dear, what sad news, I really liked this guy! :( He was great in Alien3 and The Omen remake, and I'm watching the Alien3 Blu-ray one of these days, I planned to anyway.

Still, this was probably more his cup of tea:

LOL :P

"I thought that music mattered.........but does it, bollocks!!!"

"They could knock out a tune, but what the fook does that matter?"

Both comments it would be hilarious to hear JW say at a concert. :eh:

"I've seen your wife's tits, clayton. I means to lays my 'ands on them teets". :lol:

First time I saw The Lost World, I thought he was the guy who played Daddy Warbucks. I thought the same thing today when I read the name.

Oh dear, 64 is too young. He's gone off to the happy T-Rex hunting grounds in the sky. Rest in peace.

First time I saw The Lost World, I thought he was the guy who played Daddy Warbucks. I thought the same thing today when I read the name.

He does bear a slight resemblance to Albert Finney.

He does bear a slight resemblance to Albert Finney.

Almost moreso than Albert Finney these days.

There's this completely wonderful exchange he has with Hopkins in one of the final court scenes from Amistad. It's bone-chilling. Anyone know what I'm talking about? When Adams first addresses the supreme court. Prior to this, Postlethwaite's character was kind of villainous, but he drops that guise for this scene.

There it is around 1:37

"No thank you, I believe I've spent enough time in the company of death".

I too never knew he was ill and the only movie I've really seen him in was The Lost World and always liked his character in that movie.

He was one of my favorite actors. I had Dune dream cast that always included him as Gurney Halleck. He was uncapable of delivered a bad performance.