Troy: Gabriel Yared

GoodMusician

I think that Horner was being extremely unkind in the interview...but I can also understand being a bit resentful of all the adulation Yared received at his expense and, rightfully or not, Yared also implied that Horner was being a dick by using the same soloist. Horner walked into an uncomfortable situation, and all he got for it was grief from everyone involved. I could understand him being pissed off...Yared's the saintly martyr, Horner's the tactless and talentless hack- it's not a pleasant way to be spoken about. It's a terrible situation, and neither Yared nor Horner were being professional.

That's the perfect summary.

Karol - who wishes both composers the best

but surely its contstructed in much more classical way than most film music.

It's an almost old-fashioned score and probably the reason why they declined it.

Too bad that old fashioned means a score with melodies, harmonies, and interesting rhythms. Unlike much of the orchestral noise we get these days. A few composers are exempt from this statement but much of what we hear, especially in those big Hollywood blockbusters, is utter rubbish. they might as well mix out the music altogether.....

Well if this is its own incarnation I don't want to be a part of such a movement. Pretty soon sound designers will be the "composers" for films since they know about as much about music as quite a few A list guys working on major projects these days. In some cases, more.

I think it's honestly just a cop-out to dismiss music that has components that demand some attention as "antiquated".

One might argue that for the first time, film music is becoming it's own, truly unique genre, rather then just being an modulation of classical music/jazz/pop/rock/disco etc... adapted for use in movies.

If that's it, it's stupid. It's like having only one genre of vocal music, only one genre of guitar-based music, only one genre of music for stage plays...

Well if this is its own incarnation I don't want to be a part of such a movement. Pretty soon sound designers will be the "composers" for films since they know about as much about music as quite a few A list guys working on major projects these days. In some cases, more.

I think it's honestly just a cop-out to dismiss music that has components that demand some attention as "antiquated".

Well, nobody of us wants film music to degenerate, artistically. But then again, as Bernard Herrmann once stated, the quality of the music has nothing to do with its effectiveness in the film. So yes, the lame and simplistic music can work against its film, but so can very complex and sophisticated score. Didn't it occure to that Yared's score was rejected because it simply didn't work well, regardless of composer's intention and the quality of the composition? Maybe it was misguided from the start, as Horner stated. I'm not saying I'm very fond of what we're getting these days, but maybe that's exactly what this abysmal film needed.

Karol

I finally listened to this score last night.

Meh. Didn't do much for me. Parts of it reminded me of John williams actually, specifically the imperial music from Star Wars

The last track, the whailing woman or whatever, was quite odd!

much better than the groban crap...

unless you mean the track 'mourning women'.

I think it is jarring to hear it, but it would have fitted nicely in any funeral scene as source music. but maybe not the entire cue, just parts.

I think it is jarring to hear it, but it would have fitted nicely in any funeral scene as source music. but maybe not the entire cue, just parts.

Yared's funeral music is actually in the Director's cut, as is his Spartan feast cue.

Yared's funeral music is actually in the Director's cut, as is his Spartan feast cue.

Is the mourning women cue used? Where would it go chronologically (within Yared's score)

I put it before Greek funeral... (but i have not seen the movie...)

• 11 years later...

I have the unused score.

It's musically very good but it might, I say MIGHT, have been too overpowering much for the film.

Well we will never know.

I haven't seen more than a couple of score restored scenes on YT

" Don't make me come after you, Shark!"Screenshot_2022-02-18-19-15-52.png

In all fairness, it is bit overpowering. But because of that it makes a great listen outside of the film. In fact, it doesn't really need the film because the music on its own evokes a much more splendid spectacle than the one portrayed on screen. Hopefully, we will get to hear the whole thing one day. 

Karol

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Stark said:

Does this edit include music that wasn’t in the ~60-70 minutes of music that everyone has heard?

Even if it does, it's probably not clean.

9 hours ago, Stark said:

Does this edit include music that wasn’t in the ~60-70 minutes of music that everyone has heard?

I just skimmed through and there does not seem to be any extra music beyond the promo.

Karol

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

I want to see it, but I have no desire to sit through 2 and a half hours of such a silly movie,

Yeah, me too.

I just watched a love scene since I really adore the Paris and Helen love theme of Yared.

Brad Pitt as Achilles is one of the more surreal castings I've watched in my lifetime.

Though I haven fond memories of seeing it on a particularly jolly evening with a blonde Helena lookalike.

• 11 months later...