Symphonic Metal / Crossovers

ChuckM

I've never been a big fan of straight metal, but I've been gaining an interest in some symphonic metal and crossovers. Some examples I like are Rhapsody of Fire, the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Powerglove, and the FF Advent Children (movie) OST.

Any other fans of this style here? Any more recommendations you can make for me to check out?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure, I think Michael Kamen did some recordings in London for Metallica.

The S&M album features the San Francisco Symphony conducted by Kamen.

I hate Metallica, but the work on S&M is stunning - some incredible stuff....

....and Steve Vai has done a fair bit with orchestras, though I am a bit out of date with Vai stuff so not sure if any has been released commercially....plenty on YouTube though (his guitar/orchestra version of For The Love Of God is breathtaking).

I would recomend Nightwish or Within Temptation.

I'm not fan of Symphonic Metal, but my little brother hears this music.

Within Temptation has done some nice stuff, though a lot of it is a bit to Zimmer-like for my tastes.

Goshdarn it, I wanted to post this! :thumbup: There's more of the sort by Symphony X, but this must be the best example. I'm a big fan of the band and can't wait to hear them finally live when they come to Slovenia in March. Maybe I can even catch the opportunity for a photo and autographed album! :joy:

Otherwise, Nightwish is indeed cool stuff (the "Tarja years" IMO) as is Rhapsody and S&M which has by now become a classic, also Sonata Arctica, Therion, Stratovarius and ocassionally Dream Theater. You can also find a nice and exhaustive list here.

I would recomend Nightwish or Within Temptation.

I'm not fan of Symphonic Metal, but my little brother hears this music.

Within Temptation has done some nice stuff, though a lot of it is a bit to Zimmer-like for my tastes.

I'm not sure, but Nightwish used some Zimmer's pieces in concerts.

Even they are influenced by his music.

Here are some recommendations:

Steve Vai-Sound Theories Vol. 1 & 2. Incredible live 2cd set recorded with the Metropole Orkest and some of Steve's best playing.

Dream Theater - Score - 3cd live set, with 2 discs recorded with the Octavarium Orchestra (anything by Dream Theater is incredible IMO. (Six Degrees of Turbulence also has some symphonic elements, albeit with keyboards)

Within Temptation - (2 albums) - Black Symphony (2cd live set recorded with the Metropole Orchestra) & The Heart of Everything.

Symphony X - V: The New Mythology, The Odyssey & Paradise Lost. All 3 incredible albums. Progressive heavy metal with an orchestrated flare. Lead guitarist was heavily influenced by Yngwie Malmsteen.

Kamelot - Ghost Opera & The Black Halo - their 2 best albums IMO.

Nightwish - Dark Passion Play

and although I'm not a huge fan, the band Epica falls into this style as well.

Hope that helps a little bit. If I think of anything else, I'll update the post.

Jamesyboy

One of my favourite bands is Rammstein, and even though they're more labeled 'goth metal', they have have often used symphonic arrangements in their music. There is also something quite dramatic in their songs.

Otherwise, you have stuff like the Norwegian black metal gods Dimmu Borgir (which have used orchestra extensively in later years), but that may be a little too hardcore for your taste.

Isn't Zimmer's Kraken almost like metal?

Karol

Zimmer has never done metal, as far as I know. However, he draws heavily upon prog rock traditions. His whole "power anthem" style - of which PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN is part - is very much part of that.

Zimmer is often very much LIKED by metal fans, though. Probably something with the muscular sound.

Thanks for the suggestions. Some great stuff here! I'm enjoying S&M right now. :)

Nice. Thanks for letting us know about your Friday night activities!

:fouetaa:

Why listen to metal when you can listen to Stravinsky and Jurassic Park?

Metal wishes it could be that brutal and aggressive.

I don't like metal, but I like rock, and Eric Clapton's work with Michael Kamen and the National Philharmonic is awesome:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=o0sxr-wg7qI

That piece still gives me the shivers....I remember the show first time round - had no idea about the Kamen God back then but it's funny how things turn full circle....

• 4 years later...

Here's a video I made which compiles all of the classical themes Symphony X has used throughout their discography ;)

• 7 years later...